Rutgers student dies after battle with cancer

<p>Varun Jinkachinna was a School of Engineering sophomore and joined Rutgers University in fall 2018. He died on Dec. 5.</p>

Varun Jinkachinna was a School of Engineering sophomore and joined Rutgers University in fall 2018. He died on Dec. 5.

In a University-wide email, Salvador B. Mena, vice chancellor for student affairs, announced that a Rutgers University—New Brunswick student had died last month. 

After speaking with University spokesperson Neal Buccino, he said there were two errors in the information they had initially released. The University then issued a second email with the corrected information.

Varun Jinkachinna, a sophomore in the School of Engineering, died on Dec. 5 from cancer, according to the email. Jinkachinna became a member of the Rutgers University community in the Fall 2018.

“On behalf of the Rutgers University—New Brunswick administration, I offer my deepest condolences to Jinkachinna’s family and friends for their loss,” Mena said, according to the email. 

Jinkachinna was from North Brunswick, and was an electrical and computer engineering major, according to the email.

Any student seeking grief or general support is encouraged to contact Counseling, Alcohol and Other Drug Assistance Program and Psychiatric Services (CAPS), according to the email. Students can also visit the center at 17 Senior St. or can seek support through “Let’s Talk,” free and confidential drop-in consultation sessions on any of the New Brunswick campuses, according to the email.