Chancellor of Rutgers–Camden to step down at end of semester, will return as faculty

<p>Under the leadership of Chancellor Phoebe Haddon, Rutgers University—Camden became classified as a Doctoral University: High Research Activity institution for the first time in 2018.</p>

Under the leadership of Chancellor Phoebe Haddon, Rutgers University—Camden became classified as a Doctoral University: High Research Activity institution for the first time in 2018.

University President Robert L. Barchi announced Phoebe Haddon, Rutgers University–Camden chancellor, will step down from her position at the end of this semester, according to a University-wide email alert. She plans to return as a member of the faculty on July 1.

“It has been my great pleasure to serve alongside Chancellor Haddon since the day she joined the Rutgers (University)—Camden community six years ago and to witness the inspiring leadership she has provided at a pivotal time,” Barchi said, according to the alert. “A person of integrity and honor, intelligence and compassion, Phoebe has been an ideal leader for students, faculty and staff as Rutgers (University)—Camden has further developed a strong identity and forged ever-deeper bonds with the people of its host city, southern New Jersey and the Delaware Valley.”

Under Haddon, Rutgers University—Camden was classified as a Doctoral University: High Research Activity institution for the first time in 2018, according to the alert. This came from the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. 

Prior to this, Rutgers University—Camden was also classified as a Community Engaged Institution by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, according to the alert.

The growth of the Bridging the Gap financial assistance program can also be credited to Haddon, according to the alert. This allows for more students to have the opportunity to attend Rutgers and has increased the diversity of Rutgers University—Camden.

Haddon has also been the recipient of multiple awards, according to the alert. She has received the Ruth Bader Ginsburg Lifetime Achievement Award from the Association of American Law Schools and the Trailblazer’s Award from the New Jersey Women Lawyers’ Association, among other things.

She will also serve a two-year term as chair for the Board of Directors of the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, according to the alert.

“Championing excellence, access and engagement, Phoebe Haddon has moved Rutgers University—Camden forward in vital ways, and we are a better and stronger institution (due to) her,” Barchi said, according to the alert. “Please join me in congratulating and thanking Chancellor Haddon for an outstanding tenure and offering our warmest wishes as she moves to the faculty this summer.”