Former Rutgers union president to serve four years in prison for stealing union funds

<p>Shelby Hyman, former president and treasurer of a Rutgers union, pleaded guilty to one count of misapplication of entrusted funds, which is a second-degree crime.</p>

Shelby Hyman, former president and treasurer of a Rutgers union, pleaded guilty to one count of misapplication of entrusted funds, which is a second-degree crime.

Former President and Treasurer of a Rutgers University union Shelby Hyman was sentenced to four years in prison on Monday, according to an article on My Central Jersey. She will also have to pay restitution for stealing $176,000 in union funds over a seven-year period. 

She was originally arrested by the New Brunswick Police Department on Dec. 11, 2018, at the Rutgers Hurtado Health Center, according to the article. She was charged the same day.

Hyman made an initial $10,000 reinstitution in October 2019 and will have to pay an additional $25,000 when she is released, according to the article.

She was a former Rutgers employee and pleaded guilty to one count of misapplication of entrusted funds, which is a second-degree crime, according to the article. She admitted to taking funds between 2012 and 2018 from the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) Local 1761 and using them for her personal expenses.

Middlesex County Deputy First Assistant Prosecutor Brian D. Gillet helped reach the plea agreement, according to the article.

Hyman had already given up her position at the University and will be permanently banned from all public employment, according to the article.