Gov. Murphy diagnosed with kidney tumor, will undergo surgery

<p>Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) said as long as there are no complications during or after the operation, he should be able to move forward without impairment.</p>

Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) said as long as there are no complications during or after the operation, he should be able to move forward without impairment.

Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) announced on Saturday that he will undergo surgery in March to remove a tumor on his kidney that is 90 percent likely to be cancerous, according to an article on NJ Advance Media.

Murphy said his doctors caught the tumor at an early stage and are confident they will be able to remove it completely, according to the article. He is not expected to have to undergo chemotherapy or radiation treatment.

“The expectation is that overwhelmingly, assuming nothing happens on the operating table or you don’t get an infection or something, you’re back on your feet and back in the game without any impairment going forward,” Murphy said, according to the article.

Murphy said that while 90 percent of these tumors tend to be malignant, doctors will not know if this tumor is an indication of renal cell carcinoma until after surgery, according to the article. His doctors remain optimistic the tumor will not reappear in the future.

“It’s not something you look forward to doing,” Murphy said, according to the article. “But we feel like we’re in really good hands. We caught it early … We consider ourselves incredibly fortunate.”

Following his surgery, Murphy will be hospitalized for two to three days and will then spend a few weeks recovering at home, according to the article. During this recovery period, Lt. Gov. Sheila Oliver (D-N.J.) will temporarily act as governor.

“You’re working by phone for a week, you’re then sort of another week kind of half in the game and then by the third or fourth week, you’re fully in the game,” Murphy said, according to the article. “I’ve got a 5K — knock on wood — scheduled for April that I fully expect to be running in.”

He also tweeted about the situation on Saturday night.

“Friends — I’ve got a tumor on my left kidney and will undergo a partial nephrectomy in early March to remove it,” Murphy said, according to the tweet. “The prognosis is very good and I’m profoundly grateful to my doctors for detecting the tumor early.”

Murphy said he will do a CAT scan six months after surgery, then six months after that and then in another five years to monitor his overall recovery, according to the article.

With no known family history of cancer, Murphy said his doctors are unsure of why this tumor grew, according to the article. They also suggested he encourage his siblings to get an abdominal CAT scan as a precautionary measure.

“It’s never abstract, because you can see the lives you impact,” Murphy said, according to the article. “But boy, this is real. This reminds you that having access to health care, having access to things like preventative services, regardless of what that might be, is a big deal.”

Following this diagnosis, he took the opportunity to tweet about healthcare as a whole.

“Health care is a right, not a privilege for a select few, and skyrocketing medical costs are a national emergency,” Murphy said, according to the tweet. “If there’s anything my diagnosis reminds me of, it’s that preventative services are lifesaving and we need to continue fighting for affordable health care for all.”