Gov. Phil Murphy announces state's new ethics reform plan

Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) spoke at the Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public policy about his new ethics reform plan. 
Photo by FlickrGov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) spoke at the Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public policy about his new ethics reform plan. 

Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) served as the Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy’s Gov. James J. Florio Distinguished Visiting Scholar on Wednesday, according to an article on Rutgers Today.

During his lecture, he announced New Jersey’s first comprehensive ethics reform plan in more than a decade, according to the article. He said changes will be put in place that will allow residents to not only be more engaged, but to also be more informed during the political process.

“(The changes) will shine light into the dark corners of our politics and re-instill faith, as best we can, that those elected to serve are there to serve the people — all of the people — and not the special, or their own, interests,” Murphy said, according to the article.

Murphy also said he plans to instill changes that make Trenton more open and representative of the state as a whole, according to the article.

This plan will require things such as lobbying firms to detail when they hire a person or firm to consult and former public officials to wait two years before registering as a lobbyist, according to the article. It also states that no bills or resolutions can be voted on for at least 72 hours after the final version has been made public.

The proposals will be sponsored by Sen. Richard Codey (D-N.J.), Assemblyman Ryan Peters (R-N.J.) and Sen. Chris Brown (R-N.J.), according to the article.

“Chaos and decisions made behind closed doors may have always been associated with Trenton, but they are not how our democratically elected institutions should function in the 21st century,” Murphy said, according to the article.

The Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy School has collaborated with Murphy on issues such as the New Jersey Climate Change Resource Center and his Energy Master Plan, according to the article.