Motor Vehicle Commission offers option to change gender identification on licenses

<p>The New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission allows people to change their gender listed on their license for $11.&nbsp;</p>

The New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission allows people to change their gender listed on their license for $11. 

Sue Fulton, the chief administrator of the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (NJMVC), announced on Thursday that customers will now be able to change the gender designation on their New Jersey driver’s license or other identification card without a doctor’s note, according to a press release from the NJMVC.

The form, “Declaration of Gender Designation Change for (NJMVC) Driver License or Non-Driver Identification Card,” is available at both NJMVC agencies and the NJMVC website, according to the release.

Anyone who chooses to change their gender identification must turn in their current driver license or identification card, and will receive a duplicated version for an $11 fee, according to the release.

“We are proud to serve one of the most diverse states in the nation, and it is a bedrock principle for us at the NJMVC that we represent and treat every individual with respect and dignity,” Fulton said, according to the relase. “Allowing customers to change their gender designation to reflect their gender identity is deeply important for showing that all New Jerseyans are valued equally. We are proud to stand with our LGBTQ(+) community.”

The NJMVC will offer an “X” gender option later this year for non-binary New Jersey residents, according to the release.