Rutgers announces appointment of new dean for Mason Gross

<p>Dr. Jason Geary was the former director of the School of Music at the University of Maryland.</p>

Dr. Jason Geary was the former director of the School of Music at the University of Maryland.

Rutgers University—New Brunswick Chancellor Christopher J. Molloy announced the appointment of Dr. Jason Geary as the new dean of the Mason Gross School of the Arts, according to a University-wide email. Geary will officially take his position on July 1.

“Professor Geary brings an outstanding record of leadership, scholarship and community-building that will help to inspire our wonderful students, faculty and staff at Mason Gross,” Molloy said, according to a University press release.

Geary previously worked at the University of Maryland as the director of the School of Music, according to the email. He also served as a professor of musicology and a special advisor to the dean for the arts in the College of Arts and Humanities.

As the director of the School of Music, he was a chief executive and an academic officer who was in charge of personnel, curriculum and operations, among other things, of a comprehensive performing arts school, according to the email.

Geary also worked with the director of the School of Theater, Dance and Performance Studies to form initiatives and launch programs for students and faculty within the school, according to the article.

“I am thrilled to be joining such a vibrant community of artists and scholars,” Geary said, according to the press release. “Mason Gross has a rich history of both innovation and distinction, and as dean, I hope to build upon that legacy by helping the school continue to increase its visibility, stature and engagement with the campus, the surrounding region and the world.”