Rutgers adds 4 to complete 2020 recruiting class

Football season is approaching, and the Rutgers football team has been making moves. Since hiring head coach Greg Schiano, the Scarlet Knights (2-10, 0-9) have been the talk of the Big Ten.

Schiano has been promoting Rutgers day in and day out to help rebuild the culture he once had as head coach of the team in years prior. Schiano recently released his first recruiting class since his return to the Knights. He added four more names to his 19-student recruiting class. 

The addition of the four recruits was announced this past Wednesday. The names included sophomore defensive lineman Ireland Burke, junior wide receiver Aron Cruickshank, fifth-year senior defensive lineman Michael Dwumfour and senior defensive back Brendon White. 

The completed recruiting class includes six transfer students, with four that have appeared in a combined 104 games at the Power 5 level.

Schiano’s recruiting class of 2020 has players from eight different states. 11 of them hail from New Jersey, followed by four from New York, two from Florida and one each from Connecticut, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas and Virginia. 

Dwumfour, who last played for Michigan, appeared in 10 games for the Wolverines (9-4, 6-3) in 2019. In those 10 games, he started two of them and recorded nine tackles with one sack. He, along with the rest of his defense, were collectively named Defensive Player of the Game for their efforts against Iowa.

Burke is an incoming transfer from Boston College. He appeared in nine of his team’s 13 contests. In those games, he recorded six tackles (four solo, two assisted).

Prior to college, he played for Brian Carlson at Pope John XXIII. Under Carlson, Burke was the No. 64 defensive tackle in the country and No. 2 in the state of New Jersey, according to 247Sports. Also, he was given the nod by ESPN as the third best tackle in New Jersey. As a senior in high school, he racked up 52 tackles and two sacks. Within these numbers, he put up a season-high 10 tackles against Paramus Catholic and Seton Hall Prep. 

White is an incoming transfer from Ohio State. He played in 10 games for the Buckeyes (13-1, 9-0), with one start coming at defensive back. He finished his season with 19 tackles. He registered three or more tackles in four games. He also recorded two tackles against Rutgers last November 2019. He also showed off his versatility by starting at safety and tallying three tackles against Florida Atlantic this past August. 

Cruickshank played in 14 games for Wisconsin in 2019. Two of these games included the Big Ten Championship game and the Rose Bowl. For the season, the 5-feet-9-inch player racked up three touchdowns (one rushing, two kickoff returns).The 89-yard kickoff return he completed against Nebraska in mid-November was the first for the Badgers (10-4, 7-2) since Nov. 7, 2015. 

In his time with Wisconsin, he was a second team All-Big Ten selection on special teams and ranked fourth in the Big Ten with 25.3 yards per kick return as well. One of his highlights with the Badgers came this past January at the Rose Bowl. Cruickshank brought a 95-yard touchdown to the house against Oregon in one of the biggest stages in college football. 

The Knights' student-athletes report to practice this upcoming March. 

For updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.