Rutgers professor discusses mild winter, low snowfall in New Jersey

<p>This past January was ranked as the ninth mildest winter in New Jersey since 1895.</p>

This past January was ranked as the ninth mildest winter in New Jersey since 1895.

David Robinson, the New Jersey State Climatologist and a distinguished professor in the Department of Geography, detailed the mild winter and low snowfall New Jersey is facing this year, according to a University press release.

“According to preliminary data, January 2020 in New Jersey was the ninth mildest since records commenced in 1895, averaging 37.3 degrees — 6.6 degrees above average,” Robinson said, according to the release. “It was also dry, with 70% of normal precipitation (rain and melted snow), ranking 26th driest on record. Snowfall averaged 1.3 inches statewide, which was 5.9 inches below average. It ranks as the 11th least snowiest January on record. The 0.1 inches of snow in South Jersey was just the third time that total or no snow accumulated in that region.”

Robinson also overlooks the Rutgers New Jersey Weather Network and helps organize the New Jersey Community Collaborative Rain, Hail and Snow Network, according to the release.

“With cold air confined to the Arctic, most of the precipitation fell as rain and any snow that fell melted rather quickly,” Robinson said, according to the release. “The snow season to date has seen an average of 4.5 inches in New Jersey. This ranks as the 19th slowest start of the snow season. But don’t put the shovels and cross-country skis away quite yet. Despite February likely getting off to a mild start, there still remains plenty of time for snow to fall. In fact, the last three snow seasons have seen the largest monthly totals in March.”