Rutgers–Camden alumna donates gift to continue childhood research

<p>The Department of Childhood Studies at Rutgers University—Camden focuses on researching various aspects that affect the study of children and their childhood. It also developed the first Ph.D. program in childhood studies in the nation.</p>

The Department of Childhood Studies at Rutgers University—Camden focuses on researching various aspects that affect the study of children and their childhood. It also developed the first Ph.D. program in childhood studies in the nation.

Rutgers University—Camden alumna Nancy Shuman donated a $250,000 gift to create the Nancy Seagrave Shuman Endowment for Childhood Studies, according to an article on Rutgers—Camden News Now.

Shuman graduated from the Rutgers University—Camden College of Arts and Sciences (CCAS) in 1968 and donated this gift to ensure that initiatives in the Department of Childhood Studies will continue to receive support, according to the article.

The Department of Childhood Studies at Rutgers University—Camden focuses on research that looks at the various aspects that surround the study of children and childhood, according to the article. They also developed the first Ph.D. program in childhood studies in the nation.

“The well-being of children is deeply important to me,” Shuman said, according to the article. “I hope that my gift provides increased momentum for the Department of Childhood Studies and related programs at Rutgers (University)—Camden to help make a difference in the lives of children in the Camden community, the Greater Delaware Valley region and beyond.”

Howard Marchitello, dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences at Rutgers University–Camden commended Shuman for her donation. He said that the work of students will focus on the general well-being of students in Camden City and the greater South Jersey region. 

“This act of generosity will reach countless beneficiaries for many years to come,” Marchitello said, according to the article. “The (CCAS) is deeply moved by Ms. Shuman’s support and faith in our faculty and students, and in the vision of our Department of Childhood Studies.”

Shuman came to Rutgers University—Camden for the medical technology degree that was offered at the time and worked as a medical technologist in the blood bank at West Jersey Hospital upon graduation, according to the article.

Shuman has previously contributed to the CCAS Dean’s Endowed Scholarship Fund and the Center for Children and Childhood Studies Gift Fund, according to the article.