Zimmerli Art Museum to close for renovations in Summer 2020

<p>The front entrance, the terrace and other internal spaces at the Zimmerli Art Museum will undergo structural renovations this summer.</p>

The front entrance, the terrace and other internal spaces at the Zimmerli Art Museum will undergo structural renovations this summer.

The Zimmerli Art Museum at Rutgers University will close to the public during summer 2020 for renovations, according to a University press release. These will be structural renovations to the front entrance, the terrace and other internal spaces.

PaparazZi Cafe, a cafe located in the Zimmerli Art Museum, will also close during this time and museum programming, such as Summer Art Camp, will be relocated, according to the release.

“This is a perfect opportunity for the museum to update the front terrace, creating a more welcoming gathering space for all visitors and enhancing the building’s street presence,” said Thomas Sokolowski, the director of the Zimmerli Art Museum, according to the release. “It is also an important step in transforming the area into an outdoor sculpture gallery. Inside, upgrades to the Morse Research Center offices and study room will allow staff to better accommodate students, faculty and independent scholars.”

The Zimmerli Art Museum staff members will continue to work in the building during the summer to prepare for upcoming exhibits, according to the release. Because access will be limited to the front entrance, they will use alternate entrances and will continue following established University work schedules.

While staff members will continue to hold meetings and accept deliveries, they will be required to be scheduled in advance, according to the release. Artwork, whether in galleries or storage areas, will be relocated to ensure their protection.

Rutgers University Institutional Planning and Operations Project Services will manage the project, and construction during the summer months will result in less interference with University traffic, according to the release.