Animal rights watchdog files complaint against Rutgers

A goat owned by the University, not pictured, became immobilized in a feeder and died, according to a complaint which cites a report from March 2019. – Photo by Wikimedia

Stop Animal Exploitation NOW! (SAEN), a watchdog group that investigates animal abuse at research facilities, filed a complaint against Rutgers with the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service for alleged violations of the Animal Welfare Act. 

There are three separate reports from the University, according to the complaint. In January 2019, a rabbit died after it was left in a cage while it was being sterilized, according to the complaint. Research facilities usually sterilize equipment at high temperatures, “meaning that this rabbit was boiled alive,” according to the complaint. 

In March 2019, a goat died after becoming immobilized in a feeder, and in July 2019, a pig died after an unsuccessful surgery that punctured its bowel, according to the complaint. The pig was implanted with a stent from a different manufacturer than stated in the approved protocol. 

The University can be fined up to $10,000 for each animal, according to the complaint.  

The USDA and Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare investigated the incidents and cleared the University of violating any laws, according to a University spokesperson. 

"At Rutgers, we are dedicated to the responsible conduct of research and ensuring the public’s trust in our scientific endeavors. As part of that commitment, our Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee ensures that the highest standards of science, safety, service and humane care for the animals in our care are met," the spokesperson said. 

Editor's Note: This article has been updated with new information since its initial publication.