Where streaming meets reality TV: New Netflix series 'Love Is Blind'

The dating age has changed completely over the years and it’s especially visible in the new hit Netflix series “Love is Blind.” The show exhibits a whole new concept of dating that seems somewhat irrational, but in some cases, apparently successful. After only less than a month, the show is being talked about on social media and trending on Netflix. 

“Love is Blind” is essentially blind dating and speed dating crossed with reality television. Thirty men and women are placed in small pods in which they can only communicate with their partner through a thin wall separating them. The catch is they can’t physically see each other. 

The couples are expected to make connections simply based on personality, similarities and values. Throughout these 10 days in the pods, viewers watched the couples got established and some relationships got extremely deep. 

Some couples even expressed their love to each other after only a few days. Once the men thought they found “the one,” they can propose through the thin wall separating the two. It’s only after the proposal that the two can finally meet face to face.

The second phase of the show is what symbolizes the “honeymoon phase.” All the couples that made it through the first phase go on a vacation together at a resort where all the other couples are residing as well. This allows everyone to meet in person and see if any past sparks from the start of the show will interfere with what the engaged couples already have going.

The third and final phase before the pre-planned weddings comprise of the couples moving into apartments together, meeting the parents and seeing how they do in a real-world setting. Yes, I did say pre-planned weddings. The couples are expected to either leave their partner at the altar or tie the knot at their wedding only 38 days after meeting through a wall.

The concept of this show has been described as completely dystopian, meaning unrealistic and unpredictable. Judgements based on physical appearance are made and connections are made solely based on personality. Don’t get me wrong, everyone casted for the show happened to be attractive, but it eliminated the idea of ‘types’ that people commonly go for when looking for a partner. 

One common notion is that physical attraction is just as important in a relationship. A counter argument to that is “can an emotional connection overcome physical preferences”? The show truly has an attention grabbing concept and definitely makes you wonder “Is love really blind”?

My personal opinion on the show is that it does move too fast, but that’s obviously what makes it such a new and exciting concept. I believe there would be a higher success rate with these relationships working out if they were not pressured into an engagement within 10 days and marriage within 6 weeks. 

Although I will say this short time span did work for some couples, other couples could’ve flourished if they were given a longer time span for the show.

The show is very corny and somewhat predictable, but also very binge-worthy. I found myself bingeing the show and other Netflix users have found themselves binging the show too. 

Never would I have thought dating would come to this but hey, maybe “Love is Blind” will be the next “The Bachelor.” 

Needless to say, I won’t spoil the ending for you, but instead, recommend you go watch this with friends or by yourself and develop your own opinions on the new show’s dystopian concept.