Murphy announces new total of 267 coronavirus cases, 3 deaths in New Jersey

<p>Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) said there were 89 new positive cases in New Jersey as of Tuesday.</p>

Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) said there were 89 new positive cases in New Jersey as of Tuesday.

Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) announced 89 new positive coronavirus (COVID-19) tests results during Tuesday's press conference, bringing the statewide total to 267 cases. He also said there are now a total of three deaths in the state from COVID-19. 

Of the 21 counties in New Jersey, 15 have at least one confirmed case of COVID-19, according to the New Jersey Department of Health website. The locations of 17 cases are still being investigated.

Bergen County currently has the highest number of cases in the state, with a total of 84 confirmed cases, according to the website. Essex County has 32 cases and Hudson County has 24 cases.

Monmouth and Middlesex Counties both have 22 total cases each, while Union County has 15 cases, according to the website. All other affected counties range from 2 to 10 positive cases.

Murphy reiterated the need for residents to remain inside, especially after 8 p.m.

“We urge you to do this for, among other reasons, so that essential personnel can attend to their jobs,” he said. “For example, we must allow truck drivers to be able to make deliveries for restocking our grocery stories and getting supplies to our frontline healthcare responders.”

These new cases come just a day after Murphy announced new measures being taken to increase social distancing throughout the state, according to The Daily Targum

These measures include closing dine-in services at all bars and restaurants and requiring all non-essential businesses, such as gyms and movie theaters, to close until further notice, according to the Targum.

He also signed an executive order to close all New Jersey schools, effective Wednesday, March 18, according to the Targum. These closures will last a minimum of two weeks but will remain closed until health officials deem them safe to reopen.