New Jersey waives coronavirus testing fees for 2 million residents

<p>Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) made this announcement on Tuesday and approximately 2 million New Jersey residents will be eligible.</p>

Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) made this announcement on Tuesday and approximately 2 million New Jersey residents will be eligible.

Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) announced on Tuesday the state will waive all testing-related fees for the coronavirus (COVID-19) for approximately 2 million residents, according to an article on NJ Advance Media. This comes as the number of individuals testing positive rises and after he declared a state of emergency.

Murphy said these waived fees include testing done in an emergency room, urgent care or a doctor’s office, according to the article. 

State workers and teachers, people on New Jersey’s health exchange, children up to age 19 who are in the Children’s Health Insurance Program and uninsured people who are eligible for charity care are among those affected by these waived fees, according to the article.

Murphy’s office said it includes the approximately 800,000 teachers and state workers in New Jersey and more than 1 million people who have purchased private health insurance, according to the article.

“As we continue to strengthen our efforts to mitigate the spread of COVID-19, we must ensure that our residents are focused on their health and not on the cost of medically necessary testing,” Murphy said, according to the article. “These actions bolster our state’s coordinated response and preparedness efforts by eliminating affordability concerns for New Jerseyans.”

Murphy said he also encourages private employers to look into similar measures, according to the article. Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey and AmeriHealth New Jersey have also announced they would be waiving costs for testing.