Rutgers creates coronavirus research center

<p>Resources from Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences along with those from the Office of Research and Economic Development and Rutgers University—New Brunswick will be made available to the center while it seeks external funding, according to the press release.</p>

Resources from Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences along with those from the Office of Research and Economic Development and Rutgers University—New Brunswick will be made available to the center while it seeks external funding, according to the press release.

Rutgers announced it will coordinate all research on coronavirus disease (COVID-19) with the new Center for COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness, according to a press release.

“Given our expertise and the health needs at the state and national levels, we are excited to announce the establishment of the Center for COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness to address SARS-CoV-2, the causative pathogen of COVID-19, and other emerging pathogen threats,” said Brian Strom, chancellor of Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS) and executive vice president for Health Affairs, according to the release.

The center is part of the Rutgers Institute for Infectious and Inflammatory Diseases and will be directed by David Alland, director of Rutgers’ Public Health Research Institute and chief of infectious diseases at New Jersey Medical School (NJMS), according to the release. 

“I’m very excited about this opportunity and look forward to working in every way possible with the Rutgers research community as well as external stakeholders and partners,” Alland said, according to the release.

He will work with a Scientific Advisory Board for guidance, according to the release. Resources from RBHS, the Office of Research and Economic Development and Rutgers University—New Brunswick will all be available to the center, which aims to secure external funding to conduct further research. 

“We have no doubt that our new center will be nationally renowned not only as related to COVID-19 research but also other serious infection-related research and preparedness,” said Bishr Omary, senior vice chancellor for Academic Affairs and Research at RBHS.

Rutgers has used a variety of resources to study COVID-19 over the past few months, according to the release. Contributions came from the Institute for Infectious and Inflammatory Diseases, NJMS, the Rutgers Institute for Translational Medicine and Science as well as other schools pertaining to health, engineering, computational sciences, social sciences, business, law, artificial intelligence and machine-learning capabilities.