Rutgers Dance Marathon canceled due to coronavirus

<p>The Rutgers University Dance Marathon began in 1999 to raise money for the Embrace Kids Foundation.</p>

The Rutgers University Dance Marathon began in 1999 to raise money for the Embrace Kids Foundation.

Rutgers University Dance Marathon (RUDM) announced Monday night that the 2020 marathon is canceled due to the coronavirus outbreak, according to the official RUDM Facebook page. The event, which was scheduled for April 3 and 4, was called off as per instructions from the University.

“While we will no longer be able to gather together in the (Rutgers Athletic Center) to celebrate this wonderful community of Rutgers students, patient families and faithful supporters, we remain committed to continuing our fundraising efforts to ensure that we can make a generous donation to benefit our Embrace Kids Foundation families,” the post said. 

The post said the organizers will put together a “modified celebration” digitally. Those who were registered to dance, volunteer or fundraise can still participate by submitting images and videos related to the event for a special production hosted online.

The Daily Targum previously reported RUDM began in 1999 and continued annually to raise money for the Embrace Kids Foundation. The foundation funds nonmedical needs for children with cancer, blood disorders or other serious diseases and long-term health conditions, the Targum reported.

“We are wiping away our tears and refocusing our efforts on providing a reimagined experience for our entire (RUDM) community,” the post said.