Shooting on Rutgers campus leaves one individual injured

<p>The New Brunswick Police Department said the victim sustained a gunshot wound in the shoulder area.&nbsp;</p>

The New Brunswick Police Department said the victim sustained a gunshot wound in the shoulder area. 

An individual not affiliated with Rutgers was the victim of a shooting on Sunday at approximately 9:18 p.m. on the College Avenue campus, according to a University-wide email alert.

A 19-year-old New Brunswick male resident sustained a non-life threatening gunshot wound in the shoulder area, according to a press release from theNew Brunswick Police Department (NBPD). He was transported to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital for treatment.

The victim did not provide information on what he was doing in that area prior to the shooting, according to the NBPD. There was no description of the perpetrator, according to the email alert. 

Students can reduce their chances of becoming victims of crimes by remaining alert, traveling in groups, avoiding isolated areas and reporting suspicious activity to police, according to the Rutgers University Police Department, according to the email alert.