Looking to fill 'Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness' void? Here's some true crime documentaries to watch

Documentaries are a good way to unwind, especially when people are in need of good distractions. True crime documentaries are among the most popular.  – Photo by Wikimedia

Last week we not only reviewed “Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness,” but we also included the docuseries in our list of our five favorite documentaries. You could say “Tiger King” has our attention. 

But if the recognition and national praise the docuseries is receiving has proven anything, it's that we all love a good true crime documentary. 

This week we’ve compiled a list of our favorite true crime documentaries that you can binge after watching “Tiger King.” 

"Don’t F**k with Cats: The Hunt for an internet Killer" 

This three-episode documentary tells the story of a gruesome murderer who posted his crimes online and the Facebook group that solved the mystery of his identity. It all began when Deanna Thompson, a cat lover and data analyst for a Las Vegas casino, saw a video on Facebook titled “1 boy 2 kittens.” The video showed a man playing with kittens before shoving them in a plastic bag and vacuum sealing them to death.

The video started a war between animal lovers, like Thompson, and the man in the video. “Don’t F**k with Cats” will stun you as you watch how an ordinary group of Facebook friends solved the murder of animals and people all committed by one man. 

"Abducted in Plain Sight"

This documentary examines the two abductions of a 12-year-old girl, Jan Broberg, in 1974. The most bizarre aspect of this story is that the abductor, Robert Berchtold, was a family friend who not only groomed Broberg, but her parents as well. In fact, Berchtold had an affair with both Broberg’s parents and when authorities found Broberg after her first abduction, her parents did not press charges against Berchtold.

Additionally, Broberg was kidnapped a second time where Berchtold convinced her that she needed to have a child with him to save the alien planet. This documentary will shock you. You won’t be able to forget it. 

"Making a Murderer"

This two-season docuseries will get you hooked from the first episode and give you 19 more episodes to quench your curiosity. “Making a Murderer” tells the story of Steven Avery, a man who spent 18 years in prison for a crime he did not commit.

This documentary unveils the gross corruption in the legal and judicial system, but just as you begin to think this is the direction the story will go in, the documentary will pull you in another direction. Just two years after his exoneration, Avery is accused of murdering a woman. This time there is lots of evidence pointing to him. 

Did he do it? This series will answer the burning questions each episode leaves you with. It won’t disappoint you. 

"The Keepers"

This seven-episode docuseries investigates the mystery of the murder of Sister Cathy Cesnik, a nun and teacher. The murder, which took place in 1969, still haunts the community and her students who all described her as compassionate and caring. Students of Sister Cathy, who are all adults now, struggle to come to terms with this unsolved murder and reveal the conspiracies they have revolving the case.

“The Keepers” exposes the theory that Sister Cathy was murdered because she was going to speak out against the Catholic Church and the sexual abuse between priests and children. This documentary is illuminated by the long list of players in this story and the secrets they keep in regards to the murder and the Catholic Church. 

"Team Foxcatcher"

This documentary is the harrowing story of John du Pont, a billionaire who created a training facility on his property for Olympic-level wrestlers. This documentary shows that du Pont was a cocaine addict and extremely paranoid under the surface. Du Pont eventually murdered wrestler Dave Schultz — “Team Foxcatcher” takes us on a journey to see the dark secrets of du Pont and the lead up to the murder of Schultz.