LEYZEROVYCH: Trump victory over Sanders would prove more symbolic

Column: American Insights

Yan Leyzerovych is a Rutgers Business School first-year majoring in finance. His column, “American Insights,” runs on alternate Tuesdays.

Last week, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), the self-proclaimed Democratic-Socialist, ended his presidential campaign. 

I must begin this by saying that I was incredibly happy. No, I am not your gung-ho Republican à la Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.). But, as much as I am critical of the American two-party system, I still decidedly lean right, on some issues more than others. 

Considering my own political idiosyncrasies and the reality of myself having been raised on the horror stories of my family’s life in the Soviet Union, I have, in the last few years, developed a strong aversion to socialism. I believe it to be an inherently immoral system, one where personal freedoms are sacrificed for equality, a notion that I find ludicrous due to the long history of nations I think are socialist veering onto a tyrannical path of mass annihilation of the populace, with Joseph Stalin, Mao Zedong and Adolf Hitler being chief examples. 

Considering this, I found Sanders’s campaign alarming. I considered democratic socialism to be a marketing stunt (a rather clever one, I will give him that), to cloak the blatant reality of the possibility of a socialist American president. 

I saw Sanders’s Democratic label as ingenuine from the very beginning. The label was an allusion to the “Democratic” socialist nations that rose in Latin America in the 20th century. For example, Chile’s Salvador Allende, a socialist, was elected democratically in 1970. 

Yes, Sanders had a point that in the short-term, democracy and socialism could coexist. That is, for an incredibly short time, in my opinion. With enough time, and enough economic nationalization of industry through a socialist agenda, the power becomes highly concentrated in the state. At some point the level of nationalization reaches a critical mass, and a unification of the government into a single “people’s” party will occur. Ergo Communism! Something we, my friends, certainly do not want. 

With all of this in mind, and considering the political implications of this particular campaign, I would not give Sanders third place, but rather second. Because as much as I am a Republican by vote, I am a Libertarian by ideology, and as much as I am critical of socialism, I am also critical of the large, slow-moving, corrupt Democratic establishment that hogs half of our government. 

And here is where I share the frustration of current Sanders supporters, and those 12 percent of Sanders’ supporters that voted for President Donald J. Trump in 2016, over the wedge that has been placed between Sanders and Trump. The old, dementia-plagued, blabbering wedge that is former Vice President Joe Biden. 

I know that Trump will eat Biden alive. We all know that. In my opinion, the current President has done incredible things for this country – he cut our taxes, decreased unemployment, asserted trade dominance over China, mended the broken immigration system and is currently handling the coronavirus disease pandemic as well as he possibly could. Meanwhile, Biden has been riding on former President Barack Obama’s coattails for his entire campaign. The coattails of one charismatic dude, but a horrendous commander-in-chief. 

I think if we were to remove the Democratic establishment from this picture, Sanders would beat Biden in the primaries and emerge as the sole opponent of Trump. Because as much as I think Sanders is a morally corrupt bureaucrat that has done nothing but suck on the government’s teat for his entire career and represents nothing about the entrepreneurial spirit of this country, he sure is a good marketer and has amassed a group of young socialists full of conviction.

I would love to see Trump and Sanders go head-to-head in the general election. Because just as Trump will beat Biden, he would beat Sanders. But, the latter victory would be a lot more symbolic. It would prove, in my opinion, Sanders a political freak of Western civilization, and would demonstrate what President Trump said during the 2019 State of the Union Address: “America will never be a socialist country.” 

That victory would disprove the bogus idea that the sentiment of this nation’s people is swelling in some sort of neo-Marxist bubble and will burst into a revolution, Sanders leading it as a sort of Leninist figure. This is America ladies and gentlemen, not imperial Russia. We abide by Western ideas of life, liberty and property. 

Granted, I wish Sanders good health as I believe that besides all his faults, he is one sturdy old man, and to all his supporters foaming at the mouth to engage in some introspection and check Trump on the ballot this November.

______________________________________________________________________________________

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes submissions from all readers. Due to space limitations in our print newspaper, letters to the editor must not exceed 900 words. Guest columns and commentaries must be between 700 and 900 words. All authors must include their name, phone number, class year and college affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please submit via email to oped@dailytargum.com by 4 p.m. to be considered for the following day’s publication. Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.