Rutgers asks students to social distance amid reports of gatherings on Easton Avenue

<p>University spokesperson Neal Buccino could not provide any details on specific gatherings on Easton Avenue.&nbsp;</p>

University spokesperson Neal Buccino could not provide any details on specific gatherings on Easton Avenue. 

Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs and Dean of Students Anne Newman sent a University-wide email reminding students to continue to practice social distancing during the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.

She said most students have been complying with Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.)’s stay-at-home order, but there have been reports of violations in New Brunswick, according to the email.

“We became aware of several get-togethers last weekend on Easton Avenue in New Brunswick over the past weekend, involving individuals believed to be Rutgers University students,” Newman said, according to the email. “This behavior is disturbing and definitely not what we expect from our students.”

University spokesperson Neal Buccino said there was no information about any gatherings on Easton Avenue.

“The Associate Vice Chancellor’s email was sent not in response to a specific incident but as a reminder to students to use social distancing and avoid in-person social gatherings in order to help ensure that they stay safe during these unprecedented times,” Buccino said.

Newman said students should feel responsible for the greater community and adhere to the directives from the government, according to the email. 

“Whether you are residing near campus or back home, all we are asking right now is for you to do your part to keep yourself and community safe by exercising appropriate social distancing and adhering to the governor’s Executive Order,” Newman said, according to the email. 

The Daily Targum previously reported most students in University housing were required to move out in March, with a few exceptions. The University also said students living off-campus should return home, and if they stayed, they should avoid hosting social gatherings to prevent COVID-19 transmission.