Rutgers' Ready to Run program to hold online webinars in place of annual conference

The Rutgers’ Ready to Run program, offered by the Center for American Women and Politics (CAWP) at the Eagleton Institute of Politics, cannot hold its yearly conference due to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak. 
Photo by Courtesy of Jean SinzdakThe Rutgers’ Ready to Run program, offered by the Center for American Women and Politics (CAWP) at the Eagleton Institute of Politics, cannot hold its yearly conference due to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak. 

In light of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic, Rutgers' Ready to Run program has begun launching a series of webinars in place of its yearly conference.

The Rutgers’ Ready to Run program, offered by the Center for American Women and Politics (CAWP) at the Eagleton Institute of Politics, is the Rutgers division of a national network of training programs to help women get elected to public office, according to the CAWP website.

“We want to demystify the process for candidates or potential candidates,” said CAWP Associate Director Jean Sinzdak. “Often people want to get engaged in the political process but don’t know where to start. This program provides the details and the inspiration to get involved. We know from research that women are far less likely to get recruited to run for office. Offering this program is our way of recruiting women and training them to be successful.”

Conference participants learn fundraising, media skills, navigation of the party system, campaign management and more, Sinzdak said. The replacement webinars will cover the main topics of the conference as well as campaigning in a coronavirus age, she said.

The CAWP has released details on its first two webinars so far. Registration for the first webinar is currently free and open to all on the CAWP website.

The first webinar, “Where Do I Even Begin? Advice for Your Campaign Strategy in this Moment (Part 1),” happens Tuesday. Campaign Expert Eva Pusateri will discuss immediate challenges facing candidates this year, including dealing with a lack of clarity about election processes and connecting to voters in a time of social distancing, according to the CAWP website.

The second webinar, “Next Steps: Moving Forward with a Structured Campaign Plan (Part 2),” happens on April 14. Pusateri will discuss how to restructure your campaign to reflect the new reality and go over key campaign elements, including practical tips for voter contact, message development and working with a campaign team virtually, according to the CAWP website.