Rutgers student found dead in Orange Park

<p>The death of Yasir Williams, a School of Arts and Sciences junior, is under investigation after his body was found in Orange Park.</p>

The death of Yasir Williams, a School of Arts and Sciences junior, is under investigation after his body was found in Orange Park.

Yasir Williams, a School of Arts and Sciences junior, was reported missing on March 29 after leaving his home in East Orange, according to a statement from the Office of the County Prosecutor in Essex County. Acting Essex County Prosecutor Theodore N. Stephens II and Orange Public Safety Director Todd Warren announced Williams’s body was found in a pond in the City of Orange Township on Saturday, according to the statement.

When Williams was first reported missing, authorities located Williams’s hoodie and wallet through surveillance footage in the area of Wayne Avenue and Sanford Street in East Orange, according to an article on RLS Media. Orange Emergency Responders and the Essex County Sheriff’s Department were then notified of the body at 4:30 p.m. on Saturday at Orange Park.

The State Regional Medical Examiners Officer confirmed Williams’s identity yesterday and determined he had died by drowning, according to the statement. Williams's family members said the Examiners Officer concluded there was no foul play involved, according to the article.

The manner of his death is still being investigated by the Orange Police Department and the Essex County Prosecutor’s Office Homicide and Major Crimes Task Force.