Walk-up coronavirus test site opening in New Brunswick this week using Rutgers-developed test

<p>Middlesex County residents can get tested for coronavirus disease (COVID-19) at A.C. Redshaw Elementary School in New Brunswick if they have an appointment.&nbsp;</p>

Middlesex County residents can get tested for coronavirus disease (COVID-19) at A.C. Redshaw Elementary School in New Brunswick if they have an appointment. 

A new coronavirus disease (COVID-19) walk-up testing site is opening in New Brunswick this week at the A.C. Redshaw Elementary School at 216 Livingston Ave. The appointment-only site will be open to Middlesex County residents from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Thursday and Friday, according to a press release. 

The walk-up testing site is designed to accommodate those in suburban or urban areas who may not have access to a vehicle, according to the release. Those who wish to be tested must provide proof of residency in Middlesex County along with either a doctor’s prescription or COVID-19 symptoms. 

The site will use the saliva-based test developed by Rutgers University Cell and DNA Repository (RUCDR) Infinite Biologics and Accurate Diagnostic Labs in conjunction with RWJBarnabas Health, which provides results between 24 and 48 hours, according to the release. The test was previously used at both Middlesex County drive-through testing sites in Edison and South Brunswick.  

The establishment of this testing site is a collaboration between Middlesex County’s Department of Public Safety and Health, the Office of Health Services, the City of New Brunswick and New Brunswick Public Schools, according to the release. 

“One of the most effective tools in slowing the spread of the coronavirus is the ability to perform large numbers of field tests. By using the innovative saliva-based testing first introduced by Middlesex County earlier this month, and its ability to provide rapid results, this new walk-up site will help the County and City even better gauge the level of infection and help our residents get the care they need,” said New Brunswick Mayor Jim Cahill, according to the release. 

The Daily Targum previously reported Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences Chancellor Brian Strom said the saliva-based test will be implemented at a walk-up site in Perth Amboy as well. It will also be used to test employees at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick, he said.