Saying goodbye to 'Keeping Up With the Kardashians'

The reality TV show "Keeping Up With the Kardashians" has ended, after Kim Kardashian announced the show's end to social media.  – Photo by Instagram

"Kardashian" is a name that has been in the spotlight of reality TV, social media and everything in between for quite a while now. In 2007, Kim Kardashian and her extravagant family starred in a new reality television show “Keeping Up With the Kardashians.” 

Little did they know, this show would completely take off, becoming a huge part of American pop culture and spanning 14 years, 20 seasons and multiple spin-offs. 

Now that this family has had such an impact on millions of people across the world for so long, it's heartbreaking news that the show that started their reign of fame is finally coming to an end. Not only was the show an enormous hit, but it also played such a big role in so many fans and followers’ lives. 

As much as we hate to admit it, we all get attached to TV shows — especially ones like this where we watch an entertaining family grow up together, going through heartache, scandals, marriages and more. As crazy as this family might be, they bravely allowed us to enjoy almost every moment of their personal and public lives on E! network, along with other streaming services, for nearly a decade and a half. 

They didn’t stop there though. They also had spin-offs, such as “Kourtney and Kim Take New York,” “Kourtney & Kim Take Miami,” “Khloé and Lamar” and “I Am Cait.” As if their fans didn’t see enough of their lives, they wanted to do it even better. 

Among the 14 years of the show, viewers witnessed a first-hand look into countless pivotal moments that the family had gone through. We sat back and watched as the sisters fell in and out of love countless times. We watched as Kendall and Kylie Jenner went from teenagers going through school, to growing up and becoming models, businesswomen and in Kylie Jenner's case, a mother. 

We watched as Caitlyn Jenner went from being a huge part of the show as the father figure, to her decision to leave the show and pursue her gender reassignment surgery. We saw the sisters through all their weddings and pregnancies. We got to sit back and watch the ups and downs of this family through the best and worst years of their lives. 

This is the reason viewers and fans are so attached. It only makes sense for fans to feel emotionally connected to the wild lives’ of this family. Viewers are devastated to no longer be able to binge-watch their favorite reality TV family, but at the same time are understanding and grateful for the years of entertainment and influence that they gave us.

The impact that the Kardashian family left on just about everything in media surpasses any other reality show’s impact on our culture. The show led to not only outrageous amounts of fame for the family, but also the ability for them to start clothing lines, cosmetic lines, viral applications and just about anything imaginable. 

For example, we watched as Kylie Jenner’s lip injections led to a national scandal, but also made for trending media challenge, the Kylie Jenner lip challenge. This just goes to show how much the Kardashian/Jenner family were really in the spotlight for such a long time. 

The ending of such an influential hit show feels like the end of an era, but the Kardashian family will never be out of the spotlight. The businesses they created and cultural influence they left most definitely won’t come to and end with the end of the show. As much as some may want to see the Kardashian reign of fame come to an end, I can promise you that the legacy they created over these last 14 years will not be erased.