By Aaron Farrar

Recent Articles:

NEWS

Third-place finish highlights RU?spring season

The spring season came to a close Tuesday afternoon for the Rutgers men’s golf team. The Scarlet Knights returned home from Florida after having one of the best scoring outings at the Big East Championship in the past decade.Rutgers can now reflect on its season, and there were signs of a team that has the potential to significantly exceed its current state.

Junior Doug Walters is part of a core of returning upperclassmen for Rutgers. Seven of 10 golfers will be juniors and seniors next season.
NEWS

Recruits add depth for fall season

Head coach Maura Ballard just completed her 21st year at the helm of the Rutgers women’s golf team. On the men’s side, head coach Rob Shutte wrapped up his second season for the Rutgers men’s golf team.

NEWS

Strong play concludes RU season

The Rutgers men’s golf team completed its season Tuesday after competing in the Big East Championship in Orlando. The Scarlet Knights placed 10th with a score of 897, one of the better scores the program has garnered in the conference tournament in the last decade.

NEWS

Rutgers’ spring season to finish at Big East Championship

As the end of the Rutgers men’s golf team’s spring season draws near, its most anticipated event is on the way. The Scarlet Knights travel back to Florida on Sunday to compete in the Big East Championship. The squad completed three consecutive days of preparation in an attempt to go out and compete for the conference title and its first tournament win of the year.

NEWS

Rutgers places last at Big East Tournament

The Rutgers women’s golf team put the finishing touches on the spring season after competing in the Big East Championship in Orlando. The Scarlet Knights returned to the Sunshine State for the second time this year to contend for the coveted conference title in what the team deemed the most anticipated event.

NEWS

RU reflects on year-long performance

The Rutgers women’s golf team closed the spring season in Florida — the same state where it made its weather-shortened debut. After placing eighth at the Big East Championship on Tuesday, the Scarlet Knights returned home that evening with the season behind them. Rutgers’ roster consisted of five freshmen and two seniors, a group that required development and the time to gather cohesion on and off the course.

NEWS

Invitational finish falls short of goal

The Rutgers men’s golf team competed for the first time in nearly three weeks this weekend in Pennsylvania, a final tune-up before the Big East Championship. The Scarlet Knights finished tied for 11th with a score of 925 (311-311-303) at the Rutherford Intercollegiate held at the Penn State Blue Course.

NEWS

Golf: RU closes season with away invite

With the spring season coming to a close, the Rutgers men’s and women’s golf teams get back to action this weekend on their respective courses. Both squads return to the links after finishing in the top 10 of their previous matches. The women will take the course for the final time this year at the Big East Championship that tees off on Sunday in Orlando, Fla.

NEWS

Women's Golf: Seniors push for final shot at title

With only one tournament remaining in their careers with the Rutgers women’s golf team, seniors Karen Cash and Brittany Weddell hope it will be a memorable one as the duo has played four years without a title. The Scarlet Knights travel back to Florida to end the year April 21 to 23, and their only goal is to play their best golf of the entire season.

NEWS

Men's Golf: Schutte implements new culture

When head coach Rob Shutte took over the Rutgers men’s golf team, he knew it was going to be a challenge, as the culture of the squad was not going to transform immediately. Now in his second season, he believes he has begun to relate to the Scarlet Knights and his approach is translating to the links.

NEWS

Golf: RU takes sixth place out of 14

In its’ final tune-up before the Big East Championship, the Rutgers women’s golf team grabbed sixth place out of 14 teams, carding a 640 total yesterday at the Brown Bear Invitational. The Scarlet Knights fared well in improved playing conditions and secured the placement it grasped after Sunday’s opening day of action.

NEWS

Women's Golf: Senior provides leadership for Ballard

The Rutgers women’s golf team left Maryland on Tuesday after it played one of its best rounds of golf this spring. The Scarlet Knights continued their trip north with a good feeling about the rest of the season. “I want to continue on the trend we had [Tuesday],” said head coach Maura Ballard. “I just hope for good conditions, [to] stay focused and play as well as we are able to play. We did that [Tuesday], and I would like to see more of that.”

Senior John Fagan maintains a good attitude, despite missing consecutive tournaments for the first time since 2010.
NEWS

Men's Golf: Captain keeps positive outlook during slump

There has been one person on the Rutgers men’s golf team who strongly supported the team, even in the midst of his own struggles. Senior John Fagan has yet to shy away from encouraging the Scarlet Knights to reach their potential. The team appreciates Fagan’s enthusiasm and the positive attitude he brings to the team and on the course.

Senior Karen Cash finished yesterday’s Hoya Invitational with a score of 255 as the Knights placed eighth in Washington, D.C.
NEWS

Golf: RU navigates wind to finish in eighth

Windy conditions forced the Rutgers women’s golf team to alter its approach, as it managed to place eighth yesterday at the Hoya Invitational in Beallsville, Md. The Scarlet Knights tallied a team score of 958 in the 14-team tournament. Rutgers completed an impressive third round of golf that resulted in three Knights claiming top-30 spots in the 80-player field. “We had our best round of the tournament today,” said head coach Maura Ballard.

Senior John Fagan will have time to work on his game during Rutgers’ two-week break before the Rutherford Invitational.
NEWS

Golf: Layoff gives RU time to practice

Head coach Rob Shutte admitted the Rutgers men’s golf team’s performance in its most recent outing was a relief. The circumstances of the Scarlet Knights’ season, especially early on, overwhelmed them. “It feels a lot better,” Shutte said of having every player back in action. “It feels good. Certainly guys are hungry. We want to win. Overall, any time you are going in and playing the final groups in the final round, [which] is your experience that you want to try to have the guys play in because that is where you have a chance to win.”

Junior Doug Walters completed his best score of the season at the Whiting-Turner Towson Invitational.
NEWS

Men's Golf: Junior’s offseason work pays dividends

Junior Doug Walters recalled a day in 2010 when he made the Rutgers men’s golf team as a walk-on. Since the first day he took the course as a Scarlet Knight, he has constantly proven he belongs. Now in his third year and sixth golf season — the Knights play two seasons each school year, one in the fall and one in spring — and the Blairstown, N.J., native is a three-time captain and displays the results of consistency and relentless effort.

NEWS

Women's Golf: Youth on Knight’s roster encourages head coach

In her 20 seasons with the Rutgers women’s golf team, head coach Maura Ballard has encountered many scenarios throughout each season and learned to adjust to each situation. The spring season is just another one of the challenges Ballard has accepted. This time, not only does she have to become acquainted with five new Scarlet Knights, but five first-year collegiate golfers. “It is exciting,” she said of watching the young players’ development.

NEWS

Golf: RU finishes third after strong start

Junior Doug Walters was named to the all-tournament team and the Rutgers men’s golf team finished in third place yesterday at the Whiting-Turner Towson Invitational in Maryland. The Scarlet Knights made a huge improvement from their first two competitions and continue their trip back north following their best outing of the young season. Head coach Rob Shutte said it feels good to finally see the potential of his team be tapped into this weekend.

Sophomore Jacob Stockl carded an 81 at the C &?F Bank Intercollegiate. Stockl will get an chance to improve his play this weekend at the Towson Invitaional.
NEWS

Deeper lineup gives Shutte confidence

After competing in one round of golf on Tuesday in what was originally slated to be a three-day event, the Rutgers men’s golf team hopes to come out aggressive this weekend in Maryland. The Scarlet Knights will compete in the Towson Invitational, teeing off this Sunday and does so with a fully-loaded roster. “We have three tournaments left,” said head coach Rob Shutte. “Our best lineup will be in for the last three tournaments. We have not had that yet.

Junior Jonathan Renza tied for 25th overall this weekend at the C & F Bank Intercollegiate men’s competition.
NEWS

RU matches shortened by weather conditions

The Rutgers men’s and women’s golf teams could not predict a more peculiar ending to a weekend of competition. Weather conditions were not favorable to the Scarlet Knights, as their weekends would come to an unexpected halt.The men’s team finished in 24th place as it carded a total of 306. The Knights competed at the C & F Bank Intercollegiate men’s competition in Williamsburg, Va., where a snowstorm shortened the outing yesterday to only one round of play.

More Articles