By Adam Uzialko

Recent Articles:

Jean Paul Isaacs, a School of Arts and Sciences senior, attended the Oscars last night.
NEWS

Rutgers student wins trip to Academy Awards

Out of thousands of amateur filmmakers, actor Channing Tatum chose a Rutgers student to attend the Oscars last night because of a short video he made about his passion to create films that awed the public. Jean Paul Isaacs, a School of Arts and Sciences senior attending Rutgers on full scholarship, attended the 86th annual Academy Awards last night after spending a week in Hollywood touring studios and attending meet-and-greets with filmmakers, according to nj.com.

Murad Husain, vice president of regulatory affairs at PTC
Therapeutics, Inc. speaks at Busch campus in anticipation of “Rare Disease Day” this Friday.
NEWS

Experts discuss effects of rare diseases at panel

For the top 350 rare diseases, 27 percent of sufferers will die before their first birthdays unless they are diagnosed. For Julie Raskin, this statistic is personally significant. Raskin, executive director of Congenital Hyperinsulinism International, was one member of a rare disease panel the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School hosted last night on Busch campus in anticipation of “Rare Disease Day” this Friday.

The late Peter Rona, professor of marine geology and geophysics at Rutgers, was known for his frequent trips in oceanic submersibles.
NEWS

Renowned Rutgers professor dies from cancer

Peter Rona, professor of marine geology and geophysics at Rutgers, died of a blood-related cancer on Feb. 19 at the age 79. Rona was known for his work at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and his frequent trips in oceanic submersibles, said Ken Miller, Rona’s colleague and professor in the Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences.

NEWS

Fellowship recognizes professors for studies

The Alfred P. Sloan Foundation awarded two Rutgers faculty members — John Paul Chou in the Department of Physics and Astronomy and Malin Pinksy in the Department of Ecology, Evolution and Natural Sciences — $50,000 grants for their scientific contributions in their fledgling careers.

Neko White, a comedian from Harlem, opened for the Rutgers University Programming Association’s comedy show last night starring Jay Pharaoh.
NEWS

Jay Pharaoh finally performs at U.

Neko White, a comedian from Harlem, N.Y., opened for Jay Pharaoh of “Saturday Night Live” last night in front of a nearly full Trayes Hall at the Douglass Campus Center. White’s act was well received, and when he announced Pharaoh, the audience’s applause was raucous. “You know him from ‘Ride Along’ and ‘Saturday Night Live,’” White said. “Are you ready for Jay Pharaoh?”

Arthur Casciato, director of the Office of Distinguished Fellowships, helps applicants find fellowships, ranging from Goldwater to Fulbright.
NEWS

Fellowship office finds success

Arthur Casciato, director of the Office of Distinguished Fellowships, came to Rutgers University seven years ago to help students apply for and win fellowships, ranging from the prestigious Goldwater to the ambassadorial Fulbright. While the specifics differ from one award to the next, Casciato said his job is to help applicants find the fellowship that is right for them and evaluate the odds and strategies necessary to succeed.

Steve Fulop, mayor of Jersey City, speaks at Trayes Hall in the
Douglass Campus Center.
NEWS

Mayor of Jersey City talks political ethics

Steven Fulop, mayor of Jersey City, was an Iraq War veteran and former investment banker with Goldman Sachs before he assumed his post less than a year ago. Fulop addressed the Rutgers community in the Douglass Campus Center Tuesday evening for the Arthur J. Holland Program on Ethics in Government.

From left to right: Filmmaker Bobby Bailey, Ellen Gustafon, Nextstep founder Janne Kouri and entrepreneur James Reilly discussed the impact of global issues at the “Shake The World” lecture held yesterday at the Livingston Student Center.
NEWS

Changemakers Week kicks off with lecture

Four people who found a way to make an impact on global issues came together during Rutgers University’s Changemakers Week in a panel discussion titled “Shake the World” last night at the Livingston Student Center. The panel, named after moderator and entrepreneur James Marshall Reilly’s book, emphasized the importance of chasing dreams and seizing opportunities.

Felicia McGinty, vice chancellor of Student Affairs at the University, assumed her position in August 2013 in the Old Queens building.
NEWS

Rutgers official engages with students

The vice chancellor of Student Affairs at the University aims to make students’ college years more than just a simple, mundane, class-to-class experience. Felicia McGinty said her hope is to one day discover that a Rutgers student has helped cure cancer, brought peace to the Middle East or alleviated poverty as a result of feeling empowered by his or her experience at the University.

Rutgers Marching Band, scheduled to perform on Sunday at the Super Bowl, rehearses for their performance at the Bubble on Busch Campus.  The show would include a medley of songs from artists like Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, Frank Sinatra and Jay-Z.
NEWS

U. marching band prepares for Super Bowl

The Rutgers Marching Band and the Syracuse University Marching Band plans to perform alongside each other for the first time at Sunday’s Super Bowl. Ever since the rumor emerged that the University marching band would be performing at the game, Paul Nalesnik, instructor and arranger of the drum line has had his work cut out for him.

NEWS

Growth of US Rugby team builds more exposure

After returning home from the USA Sevens international rugby tournament in Las Vegas last week, I’ve been feeling rather confident about the sport’s chances at catching the average American sports fan’s attention. First, there’s the matter of the explosion of college rugby. College rugby represents the largest section of USA Rugby, and Forbes reports that there are more than 1,000 colleges that feature a club.

Steve Bagienski, a Rutgers alumnus and magician, burns a coin in a deck of cards to reveal the participant’s chosen card.
NEWS

Illusionist talks club history

Steve Bagienski uses magic as a tool to connect people and create entertainment for his audience. Bagienski is a co-founder of The Magician and Illusionist Society, a University club dedicated to the honing and performance of sleight of hand, deceptive illusions and psychological trickery. He is a professional magician and Rutgers graduate.

NEWS

Rutgers signs deal to offer bachelor’s at county college

Students can now earn a bachelor’s degree from the University without ever stepping foot on a Rutgers campus. The University recently unveiled an agreement with the County College of Morris that allows students with associate’s degrees to earn a Rutgers baccalaureate on CCM’s campus. Dwight Smith, vice president of Academic Affairs at CCM, said the deal was negotiated during the past year and mirrors similar agreements the University maintains with other county colleges across the state.

NEWS

Candidates go head-to-head in debate on domestic policies

President Barack Obama and Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney went head-to-head on domestic policy last night, clashing on topics like taxes, jobs, the role of the federal government and health care. Jim Lehrer, host of PBS’s “NewsHour,” moderated the election season’s first presidential debate and asked the candidates to draw a stark distinction between one another’s economic policy. Obama defended his administration by saying they have created five million jobs over 30 months in the private sector by investing in the auto industry, education and new energy.

NEWS

College loan debt reaches record high for Americans

Student loan debt now affects nearly 1 in 5 households across the country — an increase from 15 percent in 2007 to 19 percent in 2010, according to a Pew Research Center report. While average indebtedness per household has fallen, the mounting student loan debt comes at a time when many household incomes have fallen, according to the report. This has led to an increase in student loan debt as a share of total debts owed by each household to 5 percent, up from 3 percent in 2007, the report said.

Sophia Campos, co-chair of United We Dream, tells her personal story as an undocumented student yesterday at the Rutgers Student Center.
NEWS

Program details experiences of undocumented students in US

Sofia Campos thought she was an American citizen until she was 17 years old — when applying to college, she discovered she had no Social Security number. “It was with very big and hesitant eyes that my mom had to share this deep and dark secret that my family was undocumented,” said Campos, an intern at the University of California Labor Center. Campos said the shock of finding out she was undocumented made her feel lost and confused during the Rutgers University Student Assembly-sponsored event, “Undocumented and Unafraid,” yesterday in the Rutgers Student Center.

Professor Michael Rockland speaks about his day he spent with Martin Luther King Jr.
NEWS

U. professor reflects on work in Franco Spain

Michael Rockland, a professor in the University’s Department of American Studies, has spent a day with Martin Luther King Jr., swam in the Mediterranean with a U.S. ambassador and served in foreign office in Argentina and Spain. In his new book “An American Diplomat in Franco Spain,” which was made available in English last week, Rockland details his time as cultural attaché in the U.S. embassy in Spain and provides firsthand accounts of historic events he witnessed.

The EE, F, RexB and RexL buses will stop at the NJ Transit stop on George Street instead of Cabaret Theater.
NEWS

Director addresses early bus issues

As the primary mode of transportation for many students, University buses have been subject to a lot of criticism, as well as praise, from the student body.Jack Molenaar, director of the Department of Transportation Services, said much of the criticism, which revolves around overcrowding and delays, is unwarranted.“At the beginning of every semester the buses are always a little more crowded, just like the dining halls and everything else,” he said.

Bebe Zahara Benet lip syncs to “Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You)” by Kelly Clarkson last night during the LGBTQ Fall Reception at the Rutgers Student Center on the College Avenue campus.
NEWS

LGTBQ students ring in semester

The University’s lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer community kicked off the fall semester with an opening celebration for returning students and newcomers that included an appearance from Bebe Zahara Benet from “RuPaul’s Drag Race.”Nearly 200 students, staff and alumni gathered in the Rutgers Student Center on the College Avenue campus to celebrate the community, which also includes straight allies who attended as supporters.

Robert L. Barchi meets students Friday at the Rutgers Student Center to discuss the items on his agenda, such as the integration of University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey with the University.
NEWS

President explains vision for U.

University President Robert L. Barchi said he believes in the University’s exemplary qualities, and he plans to expand its brand. “We have this incredible University here with the world-class academics, world-class research, the best students around, the best faculty around, and nobody out there is aware of what we’re doing,” Barchi said Friday morning at a meet-and-greet breakfast event at the Rutgers Student Center on the College Avenue campus.

More Articles