By Alex Meier

Recent Articles:

NEWS

RUSA meeting covers aid for college tuition

Eighty percent of Rutgers students receive state or federal aid, a statistic that spurred a conversation about the affordability of higher education at last night’s Rutgers University Student Assembly meeting in the Student Activities Center on the College Avenue campus.

NEWS

U. confirms progress of lot 8 construction

According to Antonio Calcado, vice president of University Facilities and Capital Planning, all capital projects on the New Brunswick, Newark and Camden campuses along with Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences are progressing on schedule and should continue to operate smoothly.

Students celebrate the first round of passage of the DREAM Act, which would allow undocumented youth to pay in-state tuition. The N.J. Senate approved the bill on Nov. 18 and submitted the legislation to Gov. Chris Christie.
NEWS

NJ Senate approves act for undocumented students

The New Jersey State Senate approved legislation on Nov. 18 by a vote of 25 to 12 that would allow undocumented youth brought to the United States as children to pay in-state tuition rates and qualify for state aid, according to a news release from New Jersey State Democrats. The bill, S2479, was sponsored by Senate President Stephen Sweeney, D-3, Sen. M. Teresa Ruiz, D-29, Sen. Nellie Pou, D-35, and Sen. Sandra B. Cunningham, D-31.

NEWS

American English not the only standard

Those of us studying the social sciences may be familiar with the concept of cultural hegemony, defined as the domination of a ruling class by means manipulating the worldview of the lower class, allowing the lower class to participate in its own oppression. Often this concept is associated with subjection based on gender, race or economic status, but who would suspect that language, a system so closely ingrained into our personal lives, has hegemonic power?

3rd Earth Comics offers a variety of comics, from “Superman” to “My Little Pony.”
NEWS

Comic store provides sanctuary above Sanctuary

After the ThunderCats, a band of cat-like humanoid aliens, escaped their doomed home planet Thundera, they landed on a mysterious new planet called Third Earth. Barry Mitchell, his girlfriend Marrey Guzman and his parents Sophia Mitchell and Chris Lewis believe this story parallels their experience with opening their comic store, 3rd Earth Comics, last April.

NEWS

U. admissions ignores social media posts for applicants

Kaplan Test Prep’s 2013 survey of college admissions officers shows that 29 percent of officers have Google searched applicants’ names and 31 percent have visited an applicant’s Facebook or other social networking page, according to their report. This percentage is its highest since Kaplan started tracking the issue in 2008, when a reported 10 percent of officers checked applicant’s Facebook page, according to the report.

Supporters of the DREAM Act protested in June in front of the State House in Trenton, N.J. The act was approved yesterday by the N.J. Senate 25 to 12 in favor of providing in-state tuition rates for undocumented students.
NEWS

New Jersey Senate approves DREAM Act

The New Jersey State Senate approved legislation yesterday by a vote of 25 to 12 that would allow undocumented youth brought to the United States as children to pay in-state tuition rates and qualify for state aid, according to a news release from New Jersey State Democrats. The bill, S2479, was sponsored by Senate President Stephen Sweeney, D-3, Sen. M. Teresa Ruiz, D-29, Sen. Nellie Pou, D-35, and Sen. Sandra B.

Karissa Gannon, a Mason Gross School of Arts sophomore, works on editing a film in the Civic Square Building in downtown New Brunswick. The film program has expanded significantly since The Center for Digital Filmmaking began their film certificate program in spring 2012.
NEWS

U. sees strengthening, expansion in filmmaking culture

When the Rutgers’ filmmaking community learned of School of Arts and Sciences first-year student Lindsey Williams’ interest in film production, she quickly became involved in a variety of small video projects on- and off-campus. In terms of filmmaking, Williams has experienced an extremely productive semester so far.

Many students have claimed to witness the ghost of Jane Inge, former director of Little Theater, appear in the theater wearing a white dress.
NEWS

Ghost legends continue to haunt Rutgers campuses

Rutgers is known for its long history of tradition and excellence, but with that history comes a dark past. Over the years, accounts of hauntings and sightings have been passed down from generation to generation. This Halloween, students and faculty should keep their eyes peeled and ears opened.

NEWS

Writer looks at ineffective prison systems

During child labor, women prisoners are shackled to their beds in the majority of states, including New Jersey. This is an example of the federal justice system’s lack of empathy that Piper Kerman believes has counterproductive and harmful consequences. Kerman authored The New York Times Best Seller, “Orange is the New Black: My Year in a Women’s Prison,” which Netflix adapted into a critically acclaimed original series.

His store features many mountain specimens like polar bears and moose.
NEWS

Renowned alumnus continues family taxidermy tradition

Flesh-eating beetles are not normally mentioned in dinner conversations, but when the cast and crew of AMC’s “The Walking Dead” broke bread with Rutgers alumnus Bruce Schwendeman, this was the main topic of discussion. With three generations of taxidermists, the Schwendemans have established a name for themselves — a reason for Hollywood to turn to Schwendeman for expert advice on critters and crawlers.

Cory Booker won the U.S. Senate seat over Republican candidate Steve Lonegan in yesterday’s special election with 55 percent of the vote to Lonegan’s 44 percent. He made his victory speech at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center in Newark.
NEWS

Booker wins Senate election, Democrats keep seat

Senator-elect Cory Booker clinched New Jersey’s seat in the U.S. Senate, winning with 55 percent of the vote in yesterday’s special election, according to The Associated Press. Booker will fill a 15-month term vacated after the death of the late Sen. Frank Lautenberg. Forty-four percent of N.J. voters voted for his Republican opponent Steve Lonegan, former mayor of Bogota, N.J.

NEWS

Barchi receives bonus, donates it to Rutgers

The Rutgers Board of Governors’ executive committee awarded University President Robert L. Barchi a $90,000 bonus that he plans to donate back to the school, according to nj.com. After a closed-door performance review last week, the committee reviewed goals set for the president as well as Barchi’s self-evaluation form, and decided to give him the bonus on top of his $650,000 annual base salary.

NEWS

Move to Big Ten to bring $200 million

Rutgers projects to pull in $200 million over 12 years from the Big Ten Conference according to University officials at last week’s Board of Governors meeting. “What we’re saying is Rutgers is better off by about $200 million versus the status quo,” said Greg Brown, head of the board’s athletics committee, to nj.com.

Matt Georgi, middle, stands with his parents James Georgi, left, and Patricia Georgi, right, at his graduation ceremony. Matt Georgi planned to run the 41st Annual 18 Mile Run Oct. 13 to raise money for student veterans.
NEWS

Students band together to run for Rutgers veteran

Matt Georgi planned to run the 41st Annual 18 Mile Run on Long Beach Island Oct. 13 to raise money for student veterans — a cause dear to him, as both he and his father were student veterans at Rutgers. On the morning of his 32nd birthday, Sept. 22, Georgi posted a link to his fundraising website, asking friends and family to donate, said Stephen G. Abel, director of Veteran and Military Programs and Services.

NEWS

Writer recounts visiting Rutgers for book on jazz

Being at Rutgers triggers a particular memory for author Geoff Dyer. As he spoke last night in the Multipurpose Room of the Rutgers Student Center, he remembered visiting the University in 1989, where he rummaged through the Institute of Jazz Studies’ collections without a clear direction or intention for the piece he was preparing to write.

NEWS

Bloustein school adds new public policy degree

Students interested in public service often gravitate toward majoring in political science, economics and sociology, but the Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy’s new major shows these students a different path that can help them reach this career goal.

More Articles