By Anastasia Millicker

Recent Articles:

The Board of Governors announce commencement honorees yesterday at Winants Hall on the College Avenue campus.
NEWS

Board of Governors approves renovations, graduation speaker

The University Board of Governors announced yesterday the new commencement speaker, honorary degree recipients and details of the redevelopment of Tillett Hall on Livingston campus during its monthly meeting at Winants Hall on the College Avenue campus. Greg Brown, chief executive officer of Motorola Solutions, will be the 2012 speaker for the 246th annual commencement May 13 at the High Point Solutions Stadium on Busch campus, said Ralph Izzo, BOG chair.

Alison Bernstein, director of the Institute for Women’s Leadership, left, listens to Oxygen Media founder Geraldine Laybourne yesterday on Douglass campus.
NEWS

TV network founder illustrates gender divide

Oxygen Media founder Geraldine Laybourne and School of Communication and Information Dean Jorge Schement addressed gender and minority biases in the media world. They joined Alison Bernstein, director of the Institute for Women’s Leadership, who discussed the role of female leaders in the media to an audience of about 35 people at the Ruth Dill Johnson Crockett Building on Douglass campus.

About 700 University students dance from midnight to 3 a.m. Sunday at Club DM in the College Avenue Gym as part of the annual Dance Marathon. The nightclub-inspired event charged a $10 entrance fee for students who did not officially dance for the marathon. All proceeds went toward the New Brunswick-based Embrace Kids Foundation.
NEWS

Making moves that count

Four hundred and forty six dancers took a stand against cancer at Dance Marathon this weekend, raising $422,075.06 “for the kids.” The total exceeded last year’s record of more than $380,000. Dance Marathon, which aims to raise awareness and funds for children with cancer and blood disorders, required dancers to stay on their feet at the College Avenue Gym for a full 32-hours.

NEWS

Budget plan proposes cuts to Pell Grants

Rep. Paul Ryan’s budget plan heads to the Senate, after it passed in the House of Representatives last week, 228-191. The $3.5 trillion Republican budget looks to cut research grants and Pell Grants for low-income college students, as part of a plan to limit discretionary funds. The plan also proposes tax cuts funded by changes in Medicare. “If the Ryan Republican budget is made a reality and the radical discretionary cuts fall across the board, by 2014, more than 9 million students would see their Pell Grants fall by as much as $1,100, and about 900,000 would lose their grants altogether,” according to a statement by the White House press secretary.

NEWS

City program connects mayor with students

New Brunswick Mayor James Cahill sat at a table for about two hours inside the Douglass Campus Center to answer questions from passersby regarding community concerns and happenings. The table, a part of the New Brunswick and the University’s “Student Connections” program, was designed for the city to have a “city council on wheels,” so students who want to attend city council but cannot make the meetings can voice their concerns about the community, said Kyle Kirkpatrick, New Brunswick community development administrator.

Police arrest Matt Cordeiro, Rutgers University Student Assembly president, during a protest in Washington, D.C..
NEWS

RUSA president among arrested in student debt protest

Police arrested 36 students yesterday, including Rutgers University Student Assembly President Matt Cordeiro after a four-hour rally outside of Sallie Mae Corporation headquarters on 7th Street in Northwest, D.C. “Sallie Mae, you can’t hide, we can see your greedy side,” protesters chanted from the streets outside the headquarters with about 300 students blocking the street in front of headquarters.

NEWS

Clementi family finds justice in jurors’ verdict

Tyler Clementi’s parents thanked the court Friday for finding Dharun Ravi guilty for bias intimidation, in their first direct statement after the March 16 verdict. Ravi, a former University student who used a webcam to spy on his roommate and male guest, M.B., in a sexual encounter, was found guilty on 15 charges, including bias intimidation, invasion of privacy and tampering with evidence.

NEWS

U. report reveals low percentage of graduates

The Center for Women and Work at the School of Management and Labor Relations released a report yesterday, detailing inexpensive policy changes that could improve college completion rates in state agencies and colleges. Co-author Heather McKay said the “Close, but No Degree” report was inspired by President Barack Obama’s 2009 speech that said all adult Americans would have committed at least one year of higher education or career training, and the country would have one of the highest proportion of college graduates in the world by the year 2012.

Rutgers University Mock Trial Association team member Zaniah Maynor, secretary Travis Nunziato, and team captain Steph Ashley review their case before a competition.
NEWS

U. Mock Trial team advances to Nationals

Stephanie Ashley delivered the closing argument in the courtroom, confident in her performance but nervous about her team’s standing. She knew the Rutgers University Mock Trial Association was up against tough competition. In the first part Open Round Championships in Washington, D.C., the team was still behind, securing only two wins out of the six needed in order to advance to the national competition on April 13-15 in Minneapolis, said Ashley, the team captain.

Dharun Ravi and his attorneys Steve Altman and Phillip Nettl enter the Middlesex County Courthouse on Wednesday before the judge explains the 15 counts and 35 charges held against Ravi.
NEWS

University shares mixed views on Ravi trial verdict

Dharun Ravi, a former University student, spied on his former roommate Tyler Clementi’s sexual encounter with another male in September 2010. Ravi could now face 10 years in prison and deportation. Some University students debated whether Ravi’s actions deserve jail time. Jurors on Friday unanimously agreed on 24 charges in 15 counts against Ravi, including two counts of invasion of privacy, two counts of attempted invasion of privacy, tampering with evidence and with a witness, and hindering the apprehension or prosecution.

Dharun Ravi shows little emotion after the verdict is read Friday at the Middlesex County Courthouse. Ravi was found guilty on all 15 counts, including bias intimidation and invasion of privacy.
NEWS

Guilty on all counts

Dharun Ravi kicked the garbage can outside the Middlesex County Courthouse as he headed toward his car Friday after being found guilty of privacy invasion, bias intimidation of Tyler Clementi, tampering physical evidence, hindering physical evidence and tampering with a witness. Steve Altman, Ravi’s attorney said Ravi was playing a prank when he viewed Clementi, his roommate, and his male companion, only identified as M.B., through his computer’s webcam.

NEWS

M.B. finds jury’s final verdict ‘just’

Tyler Clementi’s mysterious guest, only identified by initials M.B., commented for the first time Friday about being a part of the highly publicized Dharun Ravi trial. Through a press statement issued by his pro bono attorney Richard Pompelio, M.B. said he found out about the verdict while at work and was pleased with the jury’s “just” verdict on the case. Ravi is a former University student who spied on his roommate Tyler Clementi and M.B. on two separate occasions in September 2010.

NEWS

Clementis reflect on spying trial

The Clementi family sat in the first row of judge Glenn Berman’s courtroom Friday for one last time as jurors announced the verdict of Dharun Ravi, who spied on their son before he committed suicide. Prosecutors charged Ravi, a former University student, with using a webcam to view an intimate encounter between Tyler Clementi and his male guest, M.B., in two separate incidents in September 2010.

NEWS

Clementi views Ravi’s Twitter before suicide

Tyler Clementi used his blue Sony VAIO laptop to view Dharun Ravi’s Twitter account starting Sept. 13, 2010, according to evidence gathered in a computer crime lab at the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office. Clementi checked Ravi’s Twitter account about 60 times between Sept. 13, 2010 and Sept. 22, 2010, the day he jumped off the George Washington Bridge. Clementi took a screenshot of a particular tweet on Sept. 19, 2010 at 1:10 a.m. and saved it as “untitled.jpeg.”

Dharun Ravi, right, and his attorney, Philip Nettle, walk into the Middlesex County Courtroom through the Patterson Street entrance yesterday on the fifth day of trial. 
NEWS

RUPD officer, U. representative testify at trial

The identity of M.B., the man Tyler Clementi shared a sexual encounter with before committing suicide, remained a mystery as the fifth day of the Dharun Ravi trial came to a close yesterday at the Middlesex County Courthouse. Jurors heard testimonies from four additional witnesses, including a Rutgers University Police Department officer called on Sept. 22 for a “welfare, well-being” visit to Clementi’s Davidson Hall C room on Busch campus, Ravi’s former Ultimate Frisbee team captain, a University housing representative and one of Ravi’s childhood friends.

Dharun Ravi leaves the second-floor courtroom in the Middlesex County Courthouse after the first day of trial. The trial, which began on Friday, is expected to last three to four weeks.
NEWS

Witness testimonies begin in Dharun Ravi trial

More than 60 people packed the courtroom of the Middlesex County Courthouse Friday as opening arguments were presented in the trial of Dharun Ravi, which is scheduled to continue for the next three to four weeks. Ravi, 19, dressed in a black suit, light blue shirt and blue plaid tie, rocked back and forth in his swivel chair on the left side of the room as the court came to session.

Emily May, the executive director of “Hollaback,” an online forum for women to raise concerns about gender bias, shares her experience with street harassment in New York City yesterday at the Art History Lecture Hall on Douglass campus.
NEWS

Activist looks to stop street harassment

Emily May was walking down the street after one of her yoga classes in New York City. As May recalled, she was in her “zen” mode — until a man shouted out to her, “I want to f— the s— out of you.” Catcalling, usually lewd language shouted out at women by men, was an everyday occurrence in the city and became a norm to May, she said to a crowd of more than 100 students yesterday at the Art History Lecture Hall on Douglass campus.

NEWS

U. celebrates 13th national language day

Faculty, students and language and literature experts spoke about the influence and diversity of language in societies across the world in the United Nations’ 13th annual International Mother Language Day yesterday through panel discussions and a musical performance. More than 35 attendees listened to the music of the kora, a West African 21-string harp, as people gathered in the Teleconference Lecture Hall at the Alexander Library on the College Avenue campus to celebrate this year’s theme of “Mother tongue language-based multilingual strategies for education in Africa.”

More Articles