By Carley Ens

Recent Articles:

NEWS

Panelists share ideas to prevent deportation

Fourteen years ago, Ana Bonilla, along with her mother and brother, were forced to come to the United States after the sudden death of their father. Bonilla, an undocumented citizen, said her mother was an unskilled worker unable to find employment in their home country of Mexico. Left with two small children, she saw the United States as the only hope for a bright future.

Fatima Rizvi, founder of the Rutgers College Diabetes Network, speaks at the second general meeting of the organization at the Busch Campus Center.
NEWS

Rutgers organization seeks to increase diabetes outreach

More than 473,000 New Jersey adults have diabetes, according to Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System data from 2003-2005. The New Jersey Department of Health expects the trend of increasing numbers and rates of people with diabetes to continue unless preventive measures are taken.

NEWS

Panelists reflect on media coverage for Guantanamo

James Yee was sent to Guantanamo Bay after 9/11 to work as one of the first Muslim chaplains inside of a prison camp. The last thing he expected upon his return was to be arrested and held prisoner himself. As soon as his plane landed in Florida, Yee was arrested, questioned and imprisoned by the United States government, which suspected him of being a spy.

Grace Lee, a fourth year pharmacy student, is the official
national anthem singer at Rutgers basketball games, and will perform at the Special Olympics in June.
NEWS

Pharmacy student earns praise for musical success

Although she lacks any kind of formal training, 22-year-old Grace Lee never had to fight her way into the music industry. Rather, the industry found her, thanks to her Macbook webcam and her natural ability to belt out high notes. Lee was a first-year in her residence hall at Rutgers when she recorded her first YouTube video — a cover of Cee Lo Green’s “Forget You,” she said.

Twenty-one Chinese government administrators study the different aspects of U.S. government.
NEWS

Chinese officials attend training program at U.

A three-week program brought participants from the Jiangxi province of China to Rutgers to study the different aspects of the American government through courses and trips. The Rutgers Center for Global Advancement and International Affairs, the Institute for Families at the Rutgers School of Social Work and the Office of Continuing Education at the Rutgers School of Social Work organized a training program this January in management and leadership for 21 government administrators.

Kayleigh Campbell from Columbia University speaks at the Krueckeberg Doctoral Conference yesterday at Civic Square.
NEWS

Doctoral students present for public policy conference

Twenty doctoral students from six different universities spent their Monday morning discussing the future of public policy. The Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy held the sixth annual Krueckeberg Doctoral Conference yesterday at Civic Square in downtown New Brunswick. The event is held each year in honor of Donald Krueckeberg, a professor and associate dean for Master’s and Professional Programs at the Bloustein School who passed away in 2006, according to the conference website.

Aedan Hill, a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore, holds a sign to advocate for racial and social justice at the “Stand your Ground” rally on Friday, March 7.
NEWS

Students gather for rally against racial, social injustice

Our country has a black president, yet, the United States is not rid of social injustice, said Lundon Wilson, secretary of the Black Student Union at Rutgers. The Black Student Union, along with Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Students for Justice in Palestine, the Rutgers chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, the Liberty Gospel Choir and the Latin American Women’s Organization all gathered in front of Brower Commons on Friday for the ‘Stand Your Ground’ rally against racial and social injustice.

NEWS

Women staff discuss power, life experience

Her desire to explore the connection between women’s rights and her Jewish roots led Shira Rosenblum to coordinate a program for International Women’s Day at Rutgers. A panel of four female University staff members spoke at the Rutgers Student Center on the College Avenue campus yesterday, where they discussed the topic of women’s influence and personal power.

Erin R. Vogel from the Department of Anthropology speaks at the Food Sciences Building on Cook campus.
NEWS

Research exhibits orangutans’ eating habits

Erin R. Vogel and her colleagues took to the Borneo rainforests of Southeast Asia in 2003 to explore how ecology and diet affected the energy states of a species of orangutans. Vogel, assistant professor in the Department of Anthropology, led a nutritional science seminar about orangutan nutrition and energetics yesterday in the Food Sciences Building on Cook Campus.

NEWS

Experts share opinions on climate change, erosion

Concerns about climate change are increasing with the rising sea level, while erosion is becoming a serious problem on N.J. shores. Director and producer Ben Kalina screened his climate change documentary “Shored Up” at the Cook Campus Center yesterday with a panel of experts in marine sciences and climatology.

NERD OLYMPICS Matthew Grossman, a School of Engineering junior, handles a gooey material yesterday at the Nerd Olympics, an indoor carnival-type event with different games and activities at the Busch Campus Center.
NEWS

Dropbox general counsel touts benefits of engineering

A science and math junkie, Ramsey Homsany realized by his senior year at Rutgers that he didn’t want to be a practicing engineer. To explore the other side of his brain, he made his way to law school at New York University. The general counsel for Dropbox, a file synching, sharing and hosting service based in San Francisco, Homsany spoke about his experiences and the mindset behind his field of study yesterday at “The Dean’s Distinguished Lecture”, at the Fiber Optics Auditorium on Bush Campus, as part of the University’s ongoing Engineering Week.

Jasmine Edwards, a Rutgers University graduate student, looks at messages of hope from victims of gender-based violence at the "Healing the Wounded Heart" art exhibit in the Busch Campus Center.
NEWS

Exhibit displays messages from interpersonal violence victims

The Busch Campus Center is temporarily home to “Healing the Wounded Heart,” an art exhibit where students can read poems and messages written by victims of interpersonal violence. Laura Luciano, assistant director of the Office for Violence Prevention and Victim Assistance, said the exhibit offers students the opportunity to share their stories without having to physically speak out.

More Articles