By Charlie Melman

Recent Articles:

Frank Lautenberg, former senator, passed away in June. He represented New Jersey in the Senate for 19 years.
NEWS

NJ mourns deaths of accomplished figures

This year brought the deaths of individuals who loomed large in the Rutgers community and in New Jersey. In June, Sen. Frank R. Lautenberg (D-N.J.) died of pneumonia at the age of 89. He was the last remaining World War II veteran to serve in the U.S. Senate and had represented the State of New Jersey in the Senate for 19 years at the time of his death.

Chris Matthews visited the Douglass Campus Center yesterday to speak with students.
NEWS

MSNBC commentator shares political views

After his interview with President Barack Obama, Chris Matthews believes the problem with the current White House administration is its lack of accountability. “We can’t even figure out who to blame, that’s how bad it is,” Matthews said. “If you believe in government, you have the job of making it work.”

NEWS

Off-campus renting issues left unclear

Neither the University, student tenants nor landlords can provide a clear picture of the quality of students’ experiences with renting off-campus properties. According to a University off-campus task force report issued this summer, 54 percent of all undergraduate students and 89 percent of all graduate students comprise the off-campus and commuter population.

Atlas Bloom performs in the basement of Tumulty’s Pub on George Street last night.
NEWS

Student band Atlas Bloom sees growth in popularity

Eric Tapper’s band, Atlas Bloom, played a show in the basement of Tumulty’s Pub last night, and Tapper reminisced when his former band began to take off in New Brunswick’s basement scene. “At one point, we’re playing, and we have 600 people just absolutely banging their heads with us,” he said.

NEWS

Governing Councils update on semester’s progress

A number of student government associations exist throughout Rutgers University. Recently, they have been busy being involved with the happenings on campus. The School of Environmental and Biological Sciences Governing Council recently garnered attention for its involvement in the Skelly Field construction controversy, giving voice to student’s concern about the issue.

NEWS

Chinese ballet comes to NJ State Theatre

The second-most prestigious ballet company in China came to the New Jersey State Theatre yesterday to display a masterpiece of Chinese ballet. The Shanghai Ballet performed “The Butterfly Lovers,” a four-act, full-length ballet that tells the story of two lovers in fourth-century China who are forbidden to elope and die trying.

Acclaimed writer Salman Rushdie shared excerpts from his novels yesterday in the Multipurpose Room at the Rutgers Student Center on the College Avenue campus.
NEWS

Rushdie shares excerpts from award-winning works

Salman Rushdie, winner of the Man Booker Prize for Fiction, Knight of the Realms of England and previously the subject of an international political dispute, strolled into the Rutgers Student Center on the College Avenue campus yesterday with several of Rutgers’ academic deans following him.

David Maiullo, a physics laboratory support specialist, slams a sledgehammer into the abdomen of Mark Croft, a professor in the Department of Physics and Astronomy.
NEWS

Professor spices up class experience

Professor Mark Croft walked into a recent class with a fire extinguisher, a helmet and a pair of roller skates. They may not be items typically used to teach, but Croft’s physics students have seen his demonstrations many times by now. In the stunt, Croft, a professor in the Department of Physics and Astronomy, jettisoned air from the fire extinguisher while wearing the roller stakes to thrust him forward, demonstrating Newton’s third law of motion.

Rutgers Hillel moved into temporary housing and received a $3 million donation from the Halpern family for its new building.
NEWS

Halpern family gives $3M for Hillel building

Seven years ago, Rutgers Hillel started the Capital and Endowment Campaign to obtain a more suitable space than its previous building at 93 College Ave. The campaign received a $3 million gift from the family of the late Eva and Arie Halpern, its largest donation this week. Hillel’s goal is to raise $18 million to construct and furnish its new home at 70 College Ave., which is scheduled to open in 2015. The building will now be called The Eva and Arie Halpern Hillel House.

NEWS

Journalists share how media can effect change

A journalist in Spain and an activist from Philadelphia convened in the Archibald Stevens Alexander Library on the College Avenue campus yesterday to tell Rutgers students how to effect change. The symposium, “From Indignation to Occupation: A New Wave of Global Mobilization,” was organized by the Department of Journalism and Media Studies, said Todd Wolfson, the event’s organizer.

World of Beer, an upscale sports bar and restaurant, opened today on George Street and features 50 beers on tap, along with 500 varieties on hand. The bar is New Jersey’s first location and also features 29 HD televisions.
NEWS

World of Beer highlights New Brunswick’s flavor

When Kate Schliep first began working at the World of Beer franchise, her favorite beer was Pabst Blue Ribbon. A year later, after learning about the complexity of brewing, she appreciates craft beers and microbreweries. World of Beer, an upscale sports bar and restaurant, opened today on George Street with the goal of highlighting New Brunswick’s local flavor.

Three teams from the Rutgers University Mock Trial Association competed in the Happy Valley Invitational Tournament last weekend.
NEWS

Rutgers Mock trial A-Team wins tournament

When other universities’ mock trial teams chose who they wanted to face at the Happy Valley Invitational tournament last weekend, Gregory Doukas noticed something odd: Everyone avoided Rutgers. “The first 12 names out of the hat had the option of challenging a team, and as the names got picked off the list, people just, no matter what, stayed away from us,” said Doukas, captain of the A-Team. “Not a single team wanted to challenge us.”

NEWS

Students to travel in US for community service

Seventy Rutgers students committed to community service plan to spread across the country this fall and winter so they can make a difference in New Brunswick. Rutgers University Alternative Breaks, a service organization under the umbrella of Rutgers Student Life, runs the trips, which provide groups of Rutgers undergraduate students with a semester-long experience centered on community service, according to their website.

Students participated in Rutgers University Habitat for Humanity Saturday to raise funds and awareness for homelessness in New Jersey.
NEWS

Build-a-thon raises awareness, funds for homelessness in NJ

On Saturday afternoon, participants of Rutgers’ Build-A-Thon came close to experiencing homelessness, by living in shacks they constructed. Rutgers’ chapter of Habitat for Humanity organized a Build-A-Thon in the engineering quad on Busch campus to fundraise for a $100,000 home-building project, said Punit Arora, president of RU Habitat for Humanity.

Rutgers Student Life has specifically designated certain rooms in the Douglass Campus Center, above, Busch Campus Center and the Rutgers Student Center for interfaith prayer.
NEWS

Rutgers allots space for interfaith prayer rooms

Interfaith prayer centers have opened on three campuses, allowing students of different faiths to convene and explore their religion in a peaceful environment. Rutgers Student Life has specifically designated the rooms for this purpose, opening them to Rutgers students of any faith — or none — as safe spaces, said Abdul Rehman Khan, a School of Arts and Sciences senior, who, along with several other peers, founded the movement that lobbied for their creation.

More Articles