By Conor Nordland

Recent Articles:

Senior defender Sara Mahon is one of several players on Rutgers’ backline that will be looking to perform better against UConn in Big East Play. The Knights conceded 14 goals in their last game against Villanova.
NEWS

Rutgers’ defense attempts to rebound in crucial matchup

Following a disappointing loss to Villanova in its conference-play opener, the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team aims to rebound in a big way tomorrow night against Connecticut at High Point Solutions Stadium. The Scarlet Knights (6-5, 0-1) placed a large emphasis on performing well in its conference schedule. Defeating the Huskies (6-4, 1-0) would obviously increase the Knights’ chances of making the Big East Tournament.

Freshman goalkeeper Amanda Currell has saved 51 percent of the shots on goal she has faced this season.
NEWS

Veteran experience gives Rutgers Big East playoff hopes

Coming into its final year in the Big East conference, the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team has kept one goal in mind: make the postseason. Despite the Scarlet Knights’ (6-5, 0-1) inconsistencies this year, the goal has remained the same due in large part to the veteran presence that surrounds the team in every unit. There is no greater example of this than in the Knights’ defense.

Senior attacker Megan Clements scored four goals in RU’s loss to Villanova. The total was a season high for Clements.
NEWS

Wildcats’ offense overwhelms Rutgers

In the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team’s final conference opener in the Big East, Villanova snapped the Scarlet Knights’ three-game winning streak.The Knights (6-5, 0-1) fell Saturday to the Wildcats (5-4, 1-0), 14-11. Despite multiple attempts to rally, the Knights could not contain Villanova’s attack and the Wildcats pulled away at the end of the game.

NEWS

Knights hope to continue winning streak versus Villanova

After winning a close 11-10 contest against Hofstra on Wednesday, the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team is carrying a substantial amount of momentum into Big East conference play. The Scarlet Knights (6-4) impressed in their last three games, riding a winning streak on the road to Villanova (4-4) tomorrow.

Midfielder Lauren Sbrilli said Rutgers is focused on stopping Hofstra’s top scorer.
NEWS

Rutgers brings momentum onto road

Coming off two straight wins, the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team has regained a sense of confidence as it moves into the heart of its schedule. After dropping three games in a row, the Scarlet Knights (5-4) have fought back to a winning record. The offense has been more fluid and scored a season-high 10 goals in their comeback win against Cornell.

Senior defender Chelsea Intrabartola likely has to perform well if Rutgers is going to beat No. 11 Penn State today at home.
NEWS

Rutgers faces third ranked foe in home match up

When the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team enters the Big Ten next year, Penn State will become one of the Scarlet Knights closest rivals. For now, the Nittany Lions (3-3) pose another tough nonconference test for the Knights today in Piscataway. Rutgers (3-3) is looking to rebound after dropping its last two games to ranked opponents by a combined score of 20-7.

NEWS

Coach seeks answers in home loss

In the Rutgers women’s basketball team’s inaugural game at High Point Solutions Stadium on Saturday, No. 18 Stony Brook routed the Scarlet Knights, 14-4. The Seawolves (4-2) got off to a quick start and never looked back against the Knights (3-3), leading 6-1 by halftime. Senior attacker Katrina Martinelli’s lone goal was Rutgers’ only score until 22:44 left in the second half. Junior midfielder Lauren Sbrilli scored off the assist from sophomore attacker Kim Kolodny.

Senior attacker Megan Clements leads the Knights’ attack with a team-high seven points. Rutgers has scored a total of 27 goals this season.
NEWS

Rutgers seeks first win against ranked team at home

Following its hard-fought loss Wednesday at Penn on Wednesday, the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team is keeping an upbeat attitude. With another difficult test coming tomorrow at home against No. 18 Stony Brook, the Scarlet Knights (3-2) are confident that they will turn things around. Senior attacker Megan Clements, who leads the team in points with seven, stresses that the entire season is a continuous process.

Redshirt freshman goalie Amanda Currell is coming off her best start of the season Saturday, when she recorded 13 saves and a team-high eight ground balls.
NEWS

Rutgers focuses on details at No. 15 Penn

With the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team set to square off against No. 15 Penn in Philadelphia tonight, the Scarlet Knights have been working hard in hopes of starting the season 4-1. The Knights (3-1) have focused on the little things in practice in order to compete with the talented Quakers (1-1). One aspect the Knights have emphasized heavily is winning the draw. The draw allows the offense to possess the ball and set up the attack, while also relieving pressure on the defense.

Sophomore midfielder Chrissy Schreiber chases a loose ball in Rutgers’ 8-7 win on Saturday at the RU Turf Field.
NEWS

Knights win behind goal in last minute

With less than a minute left to play and the scored tied, the ball was given to Rutgers women’s lacrosse sophomore midfielder Chrissy Schreiber to score the game winner. She drove to the left side of the net and fired a shot that went under the stick of Delaware goalie Alex Zaugra, putting the Scarlet Knights up, 8-7, with 23 seconds to go.

NEWS

RU stresses intensity at Delaware

Following Wednesday’s 11-4 loss at Princeton, the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team is going back to the drawing board. In a game the 18th-ranked Tigers (1-1) completely dominated, the Scarlet Knights (2-1) realize that changes need to be made if it wishes to get back to its winning ways. “We need to turn the page on a lot of things after [Wednesday’s] loss, it was a poor effort all around,” said head coach Laura Brand-Sias.

Redshirt freshman Amanda Currell has split time this season at goalie with junior Candice Dandridge. Currell was named Big East Defensive Player of the Week after leading the NCAA with a .714 save percentage.
NEWS

Rutgers aims to contain Princeton attack in first road test

After starting the season 2-0, the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team will bring its undefeated record to Princeton tonight. The Scarlet Knights will face their first road game of the year in the matchup against the Tigers (0-1), which will give Rutgers some new challenges early in the season. The Tigers — who averaged 11.76 goals per game last year — have an explosive offense which attacker Erin McMunn and midfielder Erin Slifer lead.

Sophomore attacker Kim Kolodny led the Knights with two goals against Fairfield.
NEWS

Knights use second half to ignite win

The Rutgers women’s lacrosse team won a tight 6-5 contest against Fairfield on Saturday afternoon at the RU Turf Complex. Sophomore attacker Kim Kolodny was the Scarlet Knights’ (2-0) leading scorer with two goals on the game. Redshirt freshman goalie Amanda Currell collected 10 saves to earn her first career win.

Freshman midfielder Amanda Turturro said the Knights need to focus on working together as one unit in order to show more offensive consistency tomorrow at home.
NEWS

RU tweaks lineup for Fairfield

With its next game quickly approaching, the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team has been hard at practice this week in preparation. The Scarlet Knights’ next contest against Fairfield at home tomorrow will provide them with another opportunity to work out the issues that came up in their season opener. “We need to learn from our mistakes from last game,” said head coach Laura Brand-Sias.

Junior midfielder Jenny Vlahos scored twice on both of her shots in the Knights’ season-opener Tuesday against Manhattan. She added two caused turnovers and a team-high four groundballs. The rest of Rutgers struggled offensively.
NEWS

RU aims to improve offensive output after opener

Coming off of Tuesday’s season-opening home win against Manhattan, the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team is assessing what it needs to improve on.In order to stay on the winning track, the consensus among the squad is that the offensive production needs to increase. After the Scarlet Knights scored only six goals against the Jaspers, it is apparent that more output is needed from the attack line going forward.

NEWS

Knights ‘D’ steps up behind goalie swap

The Rutgers women’s lacrosse team opened the season yesterday with one objective — to start 1-0. The Scarlet Knights achieved this yesterday with a 6-3 win against Manhattan at the RU Turf Complex. The game was originally scheduled for Saturday at Manhattan, but inclement weather over the weekend caused the game to be moved to yesterday at Rutgers.

NEWS

Club hockey gains ground on Big Ten

As Rutgers begins its transition into the Big Ten conference next year, much attention has been given to the prospects for the sports competing against new opponents. Football and basketball have dominated the conversation regarding the viability of the Scarlet Knights’ athletic program, in the prospective 14-school conference.

NEWS

Steady improvement bodes well for future Big Ten competition

The Rutgers men’s and women’s cross country teams both had promising seasons in what was a transition year for the programs. With next year’s arrival into the Big Ten, the Scarlet Knights proved they are prepared for the heightened competition. In their only season in the AAC, the Knights had impressive showings from both the men’s and women’s teams.

NEWS

RU finds transition year useful

With the District II Championships concluding last weekend, the season officially ended for the Rutgers men’s and women’s cross country teams. No Scarlet Knight qualified for the NCAA Championships this weekend in Indianapolis, but the Knights’ performances this year have the coaches excited for the future.

NEWS

Knights finish middle of pack at Regionals

The Rutgers men’s and women’s cross country teams ran in the middle of the pack on both sides last weekend at the District II Regional Championships in Bethlehem, Pa. The women finished 16th, and the men finished 17th. Individually, the competition proved as difficult as anticipated. Several Knights struggled to make their mark.

More Articles