By Domenic Ruggeri

Recent Articles:

NEWS

Teaching assistants weigh in on experiences

In his three years as a teaching assistant at the University, Kellen Myers has had some unusual experiences. In one particular incident, a student came to his office hours, filed his nails with his colleague’s nail file, and then fell into a deep sleep while snoring open-mouthed, he said. “I let him stay,” said Myers, a fifth-year Ph.D candidate in mathematics. “It was so bizarre, my only reaction was to ignore it.”

NEWS

Grade school students visit University

Onlookers craned their necks Saturday to catch a glimpse of a rare sight at Brower Commons on the College Avenue campus as a group of 75 students excitedly moved en masse into the dining hall. But these students were not from the University. They were fifth through eighth graders from Rise Academy in Newark. The public charter school is a member of the Knowledge is Power Program, a nationwide network of public charter elementary and high schools with one common goal, said Shannon Grande, a seventh grade teacher at Rise Academy.

The Douglass Campus Center lights up as a part of the “Go and Glow Red for Women” campaign to raise awareness for women’s heart disease and stroke.
NEWS

U. groups participate in “Glow Red” campaign

For the next three days at the University, students on campus should not be alarmed when they notice certain buildings glowing red. As a part of the “Go and Glow Red” campaign to raise awareness about women’s heart health, Rutgers Against Hunger, Rutgers Facilities and Rutgers Student Life are collaborating to make the Douglass Campus Center, Rutgers Student Center, Livingston Student Center and the Werblin Recreation Center glow red, said Melissa Selesky, community relations director for Community Affairs.

NEWS

Campus desktops get new look and function

University students using the computer labs will now notice a change to the usual desktop layout.The University Office of Information Technology department installed the free desktop overlay program Rainmeter on all computers running Windows in all computer labs on the New Brunswick campus over a period spanning Jan. 1 to 18, said Brian Luper, associate director of Information Technology.

Source: Richard Novak
NEWS

Researchers look at effects of bringing classes online

With the recent partnership between the University and Pearson eCollege, the University has expanded its already large pool of fully online undergraduate and graduate programs, but challenges still remain in the effort to make the experience worthwhile for students. Erica Boling, associate professor in the Graduate Department of Learning and Teaching, said hurdles are to be expected in the rush to integrate relatively recent information technology into the learning experience, but it will be necessary to do so in the digital age.

NEWS

Professors examine perceptions of black Muslims

A full-body cover photo from the short-lived hip-hop magazine, “One World,” showed rapper Lil’ Kim wearing nothing but a headscarf.The shot was shown as a part of a discussion yesterday at the Center for Race and Ethnicity on the College Avenue campus, where professors and graduate students discussed confusion surrounding black and Muslim identities in America.

Ian Wolfe and Jacob Nieman, School of Arts and Sciences juniors, talk about a resolution in solidarity with university students in the Middle?East, whose studies were interrupted by airstrikes.
NEWS

RUSA questions U. contract with student debt collector

While the Rutgers University Student Assembly members were drafting an in-state tuition bill in early October they found out the University pays a company to collect student debt. John Connelly, president of RUSA, said the University has a contract with the General Revenue Corporation, a subsidiary of Sallie Mae, which collects unpaid student tuition, last night in the Student Activities Center on the College Avenue campus. “We pay them to collect our debt,” said Connelly, a School of Arts and Sciences senior. “It doesn’t make sense."

NEWS

Festival addresses Iranian women’s rights

Students and faculty can hear the story of 47 Iranian women tomorrow at the third and final installment of a series of films that highlight Iranian women.“Mrs. President: Women and Political Leadership in Iran,” a part of the University’s first Iranian Film Festival, will screen tomorrow at 7 p.m. in the Gathering Lounge at the Livingston Student Center.

Meryem Uzumcu, a member of the Rutgers University Debate Union, argues against the American University debate team on whether the United States should sign the Outer Space Security and Development treaty at the Novice Semifinals at Johns Hopkins University.
NEWS

Debate team ranks fifth in nation, supersedes Princeton

While Harvard University and Yale University top the charts for college debate teams, the Rutgers University Debate Union now boasts a higher national ranking than its New Jersey Ivy League rival.  “We are beating Princeton [University],” said Henry Phipps, public relations chair for RUDU. The team, made up of about 50 university students, is ranked fifth overall among nearly 250 collegiate debate teams in the National Parliamentary Debate Association, said Phipps, a School of Arts and Sciences junior.

NEWS

University ranks third in services for student vets

Even when he did not have power or Internet in Afghanistan, student veteran Matthew Kane of the U.S. Marine Corp said it was easy to apply for admission to the University. Kane is not alone receiving help from the University after his time in the military. Military Times magazine ranks the University third on a list of most accommodating and helpful institutions for former servicemen and women in the nation. “When you get out [of the military], you’re on your own with money, grades, tuition,” said Kane, a School of Environmental and Biological Sciences sophomore. “Rutgers really helps with that.”

Spencer Klein, president of NJUS, explains that college presidents do not support in-state tuition for undocumented students Saturday in the Rutgers Student Center.
NEWS

NJUS plans effort to secure equal tuition rate for all

Working to represent and educate all of the students in the state, the New Jersey United Students discussed a new initiative Saturday to give in-state tuition to undocumented citizens. The organization, made up of delegates from N.J. colleges and universities, introduced a number of new initiatives including getting support for a bill that would make education more affordable for students living in the state without citizenship, said Spencer Klein, president of NJUS.

NEWS

Experts sum up election season

After the nation saw President Barack Obama’s victory on Election Day, some citizens, including University students, were left wondering what to make of the election season. Those curious people gathered in the main room of the Woodlawn Mansion on Douglass Campus yesterday morning to discuss predictions for the future political landscape in the United States at the Eagleton Institute of Politics’ “The Morning After.” Four experts — a Republican, a Democrat, and two representatives of the media — sounded off on issues at stake in the election during a discussion moderated by John Weingart, associate director of the Eagleton Institute of Politics.

Joseph Kyrillos, Republican candidate gives a speech after losing the race for the U.S. Senate.
NEWS

Republican challenger falls short of Senate seat victory

With Fox News on in the background, supporters   of Republican New Jersey Senate candidate Joseph Kyrillos watched as their candidate’s senatorial hopes quickly faded last night in the ballroom of Nanina’s in the Park in Belleville. Menendez won the race with 58.9 percent of the votes while Kyrillos had 39.4 percent. Supporters in attendance said Kyrillos deserved the seat because of the fresh outlook he would have brought to the state.

NEWS

Camden campus chancellor chosen as president of city outreach group

With goals to improve K-12 education and health care in cities, the chancellor of Rutgers-Camden was elected president of a coalition that pays attention to pressing needs of their surrounding communities.“As you well know, in a lot of urban communities like Camden, the public schools are very bad. So we have been trying to figure out ways to improve public education in our communities,” said Wendell Pritchett, the newly elected head of the Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities. 

NEWS

Menendez, Kyrillos face off in debate

The state of the U.S. economy was the forefront of the second senatorial debate last night between incumbent Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.) and challenger Sen. Joe Kyrillos (R-N.J.).The heated hour-long debate was held in the studio of New Jersey 101.5 FM, with moderator Eric Scott asking his own questions, as well as those from the audience.

James Neal, a New Brunswick resident, said police need more of a presence in the Easton Avenue area on weekends last night during a city council meeting.
NEWS

Police captain addresses local shootings at city council

New Brunswick residents voiced concerns over the New Brunswick Police Department’s response to recent shootings in the city at last night’s City Council meeting.“We get the same answers until something happens, then all they do is move a few people around,” said James Neal, a New Brunswick resident.Capt. J. T. Miller of the NBPD said they have increased presence on the Easton Avenue corridor and increased their overall patrols of the city.

NEWS

Yearly initiative offers safe disposal of medicine

Despite a modest turnout in previous years, even fewer people participated Saturday in the fourth annual Middlesex County Medicine Take-Back program, an initiative to collect and dispose old prescription drugs.The drop-off location at the Rutgers Student Center on the College Avenue campus did not receive any medication, said Richard McGilvery, a Rutgers University Police Department officer.

Donald M. Payne Jr., president of Newark’s city council, speaks to a crowd of about 60 about his Congress campaign Thursday.
NEWS

African-American issues discussed at annual conference

The Rev. Jesse Jackson is among the hundreds coming to New Brunswick this weekend for the New Jersey Black Issues Convention’s 30th Anniversary Leadership Conference at the Hyatt Regency Hotel.The conference, which began Thursday and will end Saturday, aims to raise awareness of issues affecting the African-American community and provide opportunities for community members to learn how to improve their lives, said Elease Evans, chair of the board of the directors of the NJBIC.

More Articles