By Gregory Johnson

Recent Articles:

Sophomore Kortnie Maxoutopoulis won an individual title and had her best stroke average in her second fall season.
NEWS

Youth develops throughout transition

Though the havoc Hurricane Sandy left dismissed chances of a satisfying culmination to its fall campaign, the Rutgers women’s golf team left Greenville, S.C., on Oct. 28 with pride. The Scarlet Knights withdrew from the final round of the Furman Lady Paladin Invitational in seventh place to return home safely in the wake of the tumultuous storm, but the team believes its future shines brightly. In a transition period that saw the loss of five veterans from last spring, the youthful Knights developed during the course of the fall season and consistently proved a willing contender in tournament play.

Junior Doug Walters finished the year with an average of 75.1 strokes per round, which led the Knights under Rob Shutte.
NEWS

Team adapts to new head coaching style

When Rob Shutte was named Rutgers head men’s golf coach Feb. 23, he took the reins of a reeling program that accumulated only two sixth-place finishes in five tournaments during the fall 2011 campaign. He sought to improve the competitiveness and mental toughness of the program, and he implemented his leadership with a young squad during the spring. The Scarlet Knights entered the season with a winning mentality, which Shutte does not think the team necessarily had at the forefront of its mind in the spring.

Sophomore Kortnie Maxoutopoulis enters the Furman Invitational today on the heels of a first-place finish last weekend at the Lehigh Invitational, where she shot a 145 in the Knights’ third tournament of the season.
NEWS

Knights finish fall with 12-team event

In its final tournament test of the fall season, the Rutgers women’s golf team travels to Greenville, S.C., this weekend for the Furman Lady Paladin Invitational, where the program has not competed in more than three years. The Scarlet Knights are up against 12 non-conference teams along the East Coast, notably a familiar foe in Nova Southeastern, which won the Yale Women’s Intercollegiate — arguably Rutgers’ most difficult event so far.

NEWS

Sophomore wins first event

The Rutgers men’s and women’s golf teams teed off in Bethlehem, Pa., this weekend, each competing in the eight-team Lehigh Invitational and finishing in the top five. The women’s team placed fourth in its invitational, carding a 615 (301-314). After winning two tournaments last fall, sophomore Kortnie Maxoutopoulis claimed her first title of the 2012 campaign. The Pleasanton, Calif., native tied for first place among 45 golfers with a 145 (72-75) scorecard.

NEWS

Freshmen improve before fourth invite

The Rutgers women’s golf team takes to the tournament green for the fourth time this season at the Lehigh Invitational this weekend in Bethlehem, Pa.The Scarlet Knights look to build momentum from their recent success at home in the Rutgers Invitational, where they took second place and posted a season-high 16.9 strokes per hole team average. The Knights continued to stress mental game and fine-tune individual mechanics during the last two weeks.

Junior Jonathan Renza led the Knights in Ireland with a final score of 156 and paced the tournament with seven birdies.
NEWS

Knights gain experience in overseas invitational

After nearly three weeks of anticipation and preparation for its most unique challenge of the season, the Rutgers men’s golf team made its overseas journey last weekend to County Kerry, Ireland, for the inaugural Waterville Collegiate Classic. It began when the Scarlet Knights departed Friday from the Rutgers Athletic Center. Twenty-eight consecutive hours of traveling and practicing ensued, said junior co-captain Doug Walters. That was when the Knights realized they were in for a true test of endurance.

NEWS

Mindset remains on par with expectations

Overcoming the mental challenges of the sport continues to be a focal point for the Rutgers women’s golf team as it prepares for the Lehigh Invitational on Oct. 20 and 21 in Bethlehem, Pa. After three tournaments in their fall campaign, the Scarlet Knights have developed a firm understanding of golf’s psychological hurdles and how they can affect their play. “Golf is very, very mental,” said senior co-captain Brittany Weddell. “Some of the things we go over are not getting down on yourself during the [tournament] round if you have a bad hole. … [Staying] in the present moment is a big [theme].”

Sophomore Kortnie Maxoutopoulis scored a 150 at the Rutgers Invitational.
NEWS

RU duo aids in second-place finish at Invite

The Rutgers women’s golf team had its best statistical performance of the season this weekend at home at the Rutgers Invitational, as it captured second place among 21 teams. With a 610 (304-306) final scorecard for the 36-hole event, the Scarlet Knights averaged 16.9 strokes per hole as a team, better than the 17.3 strokes they averaged in their first two tournaments. Seton Hall won the invitational with a 603 (299-304) scorecard, the only team the Knights did not beat by at least 10 strokes.

Sophomore Kortnie Maxoutopoulis tries to defend her title at the Rutgers Invitational. The team took second last season.
NEWS

Knights prepare to defend home turf

The Rutgers women’s golf team returns to tournament action today and tomorrow at home in the 21-team Rutgers Invitational.The Scarlet Knights look to redeem themselves on their home course following a disappointing ninth-place finish in the Yale Intercollegiate on Sept. 21-23 in New Haven, Conn.Head coach Maura Waters-Ballard called Yale the most challenging college golf course in the nation, with elements of which her golfers were unfamiliar.

NEWS

Rookies grow in collegiate transition

With five freshmen on the roster, overcoming an influx of youth and inexperience this season has been challenging for the Rutgers women’s golf team. “I’ve definitely learned that it’s so much more of a commitment than high school golf,” said freshman Melanie Chambers. “You’re constantly reminded of the responsibilities you have. I feel like I play a much bigger role here than I ever did in high school golf, even though I’m not playing [the No. 1 position] like I used to.”

Junior co-captain Doug Walters has improved his stroke total to at least two fewer each season since coming to Rutgers.
NEWS

Captain improves play, embraces new head coach

Three tournaments into the season and less than two weeks from an invitational in Ireland that Doug Walters calls the “trip of a lifetime,” the junior co-captain continues to learn as a student of golf. Since joining the Rutgers men’s golf team in fall 2010, the North Warren, N.J., native has steadily improved his game. In each successive fall season of his collegiate career, Walters has posted stroke play averages of 78.7, 75.5 and currently 73.5 this season — good for second best on the team behind freshman Jonathan Chang’s 73.3.

Junior co-captain Doug Walters lead the Knights to their upcoming tournament in Ireland. The weather conditions the team will face in Ireland are similar to those it encountered at the Hartford Hawks Invitational.
NEWS

Rutgers prepares for unique challenges

Coming off arguably their most difficult road tournaments of the season, the Rutgers men’s and women’s golf teams return to practice and preparation for challenges ahead. In its third event of the fall, the women’s team hosts the Rutgers Invitational on Oct. 5 and 6 at the Rutgers University Golf Course. While pleased to finally play on their home turf, the Scarlet Knights also know the dangers of being too relaxed with the course they see more than any other.

Junior Doug Walters paced the Knights with a final score of 224, good enough for a 15th-place finish out of 88 athletes.
NEWS

Rutgers navigates difficult course to place inside top 10

The Rutgers men’s golf team faced a difficult road test Monday and yesterday at the Hartford Hawks Invitational in Hartford, Conn., in its third tournament of the season. The Scarlet Knights took seventh place, besting nine teams in a 16-team field with a final scorecard of 908 (300-303-305). Host Hartford topped the field, carding a final score of 875 — 20 strokes better than the next closest team. “[Hartford] has seen the golf course a lot more than we have,” said head coach Rob Shutte.

Sophomore Kortnie Maxoutopoulis led Rutgers this weekend with a score of 219, good for sixth place out of 87 golfers.
NEWS

Rutgers bests seven teams at Yale Intercollegiate

After a 12-day layoff between events, the Rutgers women’s golf team teed off this weekend in its second event of the season, claiming ninth place Sunday in the 16-team Yale Women’s Intercollegiate in New Haven, Conn. The Scarlet Knights steadily stuck near the middle of the pack, remaining in ninth after each 18-hole round of the 54-hole event. The team finished with a 932 (316-299-317) overall scorecard, 68 over par and 73 strokes behind tournament leader Nova Southeastern.

Freshman Jonathan Chang paced the Knights in his first career home tournament, shooting a 212, good for fifth place.
NEWS

RU continues preparation for next tournament

After a successful second-place finish in the Rutgers Invitational, the Rutgers men’s golf team is preparing for the Hartford Hawks Invitational on Sept. 24 and 25 in Hartford, Conn., with some intrasquad competition on the road. The Scarlet Knights also continue to reflect on their strong performance in their lone home event of the season. It was the program’s highest finish in a collegiate tournament since Sept. 2009, when it won the Rutgers Invitational. “We did a much better job of just meshing as a team, being more comfortable,” said sophomore Jacob Stockl.

Freshman Jonathan Chang finished in third place this weekend at the Rutgers Invitational, where he shot a 212 to lead the Knights to No. 2 overall finish on their home course.
NEWS

Rutgers takes second place at home Invitational

The Rutgers men’s golf team returned to Piscataway this weekend for its first home event of the season and redeemed itself, taking second place in the 15-team Rutgers Invitational. The Scarlet Knights finished with a total scorecard of 877 (296-289-292) for all three rounds Friday and Saturday, only three strokes behind the final score of tournament champion South Carolina Upstate.

Senior Brittany Wedell is one the Knights' co-captains.
NEWS

Teams prepare for invitationals after fall debuts

With their first respective events of the season in the books, the Rutgers men’s and women’s golf teams returned to the practice green this week to improve for tournament action. The men’s team hosts the 54-hole Rutgers Invitational. The home tournament tomorrow and Saturday comes after the Scarlet Knights participated in the STX Invitational, hosted by Towson. It was a disappointing first event for the Knights, who finished with a 1-2 match play record, good for sixth place among eight schools.

Sophomore Kortnie Maxoutopoulis tied for fifth overall at last weekend’s Bucknell Invitational with a score of 229. The Knights captured second place after posting a team score of 931.
NEWS

Pair of golfers lead RU in strong season opener

The Rutgers men’s and women’s golf teams’ fall campaigns kicked off on the road last weekend in Towson, Md., and Lewisburg, Pa., respectively.On the women’s side, Rutgers tied for second overall out of 15 teams in the Bucknell Invitational with a final score of 931 (310-310-311). For only the first event of the season, head coach Maura Waters-Ballard was impressed.

More Articles