By Hannah Schroer

Recent Articles:

Students from the Rutgers Film Bureau helped produce the feature film, “Antarctica: Beyond the Ice.” Students sorted through the raw footage and edited it to tell an independent story.
NEWS

Film Festival to showcase students’ work

More than 50 films will screen at the second annual New Lens Student Film Festival, said Patrick Stettner, a professor at the Nicholas Music Center on Douglas campus. University students spent Tuesday polishing and submitting the final edits of their films for the festival, which will take place on May 8.

Travis Miles, a PhD candidate from the Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, left, drives the gliders during ocean runs to gather data, and Greg Seroka, a PhD candidate at the Institute, used the data to create weather models.
NEWS

U. students use glider to gather storm data

Glider 23, a yellow, torpedo-shaped glider, plunged through the Atlantic Ocean during Superstorm Sandy, capturing water current and temperature data from surface to sea floor. During its 50-kilometer trek, the remote-controlled glider relayed information back to its operator at the Rutgers Coastal Ocean Observation Lab, providing researchers there with a more detailed map of the ocean’s structure that will ultimately allow them to create more accurate storm forecasts.

NEWS

Architect looks at alternative ways to rebuild urban parks

Superstorm Sandy changed how New York City thinks about the design of city parks.  When Sandy swept through the region in October 2012, its storm surge flooded subway lines and overcame parks near the water’s edge, said Laura Starr, a landscape architect and planner at Starr Whitehouse Landscape Architects and Planners PLLC in New York City.

NEWS

Barchi appoints dean for diversity, inclusion

University President Robert L. Barchi officially announced yesterday his choice for appointment to the Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion. School of Communication and Information Dean Jorge Schement will become vice president of the office as of July 1.

Rob Cavella, a graduate student, uses the hydration station in the College Avenue Gymnasium.
NEWS

Campaign looks to raise awareness of tap water use

Bottled water often seems like the healthiest way to get hydrated, but members of the University’s Take Back the Tap organization say the opposite is true. Members talked to students at Voorhees Mall on the College Avenue campus yesterday about the benefits of tap water, said Caroline Lipiec, a School of Arts and Sciences first-year student.

University Board of Governors Chairman Ralph Izzo will receive a Doctorate of Human Letters at the University Commencement in May.
NEWS

U. announces honorary degree recipients

The University will award Ralph Izzo a Doctorate of Humane Letters, Lonnie Bunch a Doctorate of Letters, and Jane Lubchenco a Doctorate of Science, at the University Commencement May 19. The University gives the awards to a people of distinguished service, according to the University’s guidelines on honorary degrees and commencement speakers.

The new 5,190-square-foot extension to the School of Communication and Information will grant space for faculty and doctoral students.
NEWS

SC&I to build office extension during summer

The University has plans to build a 5,190-square-foot addition to an existing School of Communication and Information building on the College Avenue campus this summer. The extension will house 14 faculty offices, a small meeting room and space for approximately 30 doctoral students, said Greg Trevor, senior director of University Media Relations. The University will add the extension to the Annex, a School of Communication and Information faculty office building, to alleviate its office space shortage, said Karen Novick, associate dean of the School of Communication and Information.

Professor Jennifer Hunt has been appointed to Chief Executive in the U.S. Department of Labor.
NEWS

Professor reaches US Department of Labor

Jennifer Hunt, in the a professor Department of Economics, took a leave of absence from the University this past January to serve as the Chief Economist at the U.S. Department of Labor. Hunt started her job just one month after learning she was being considered for the appointment, which tasks her with, among other things, advising the Secretary of Labor.

Evoluntary Psychologist David Buss said he sees human mating strategies in everyday life during a lecture titled “Strategies of Human Mating” yesterday at the Rutgers Student Center.
NEWS

Psychologist talks human mating

Evolutionary Psychologist David Buss sees human mating strategies at work during parties, on commercials and at faculty meetings. “I may be delusional, but I see the world through the lens of human mating strategies,” he said. Buss talked about this lens in his “Strategies of Human Mating” lecture last night in the Rutgers Student Center as a part of an annual event hosted by national Honors Society Phi Beta Kappa.

University President Robert L. Barchi observed statistics from the 15,000 to 20,000 faculty surveys that were sent out as a part of the strategic planning
initiative.
NEWS

Barchi addresses faculty surveys

University President Robert L. Barchi presented the results of faculty surveys conducted across the University’s three campuses and the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey yesterday at the second Strategic Planning Town Hall on the New Brunswick campus. The University sent out 15,000 to 20,000 surveys asking for input on the Strategic Plan and analyzed two-thirds of the response data so far.

The University’s Center for Urban Sustainability is working with NY-NJ Baykeeper and the U.S. Navy to help reintroduce Eastern Oysters in Raritan Bay.
NEWS

University pairs with NY-NJ Baykeeper to reintroduce local Eastern Oysters

No one would know by looking in the waters that eastern oysters once filled Raritan Bay. The species that settling colonists once described as “dinner plate-sized” traditionally inhabited the East Coast — from New England to the Gulf of Mexico. They served as a staple source of protein until industrial pollution. Disease and over-harvesting all but destroyed the shellfish. By the ‘20s, Eastern Oysters, a keystone species for the Hudson-Raritan Estuary became ecologically extinct, said Beth Ravit, who helped establish the University’s Center for Urban Environmental Sustainability.

NEWS

University student wins competition in public relations

Since her first year at the University, Kristina Amaral wondered how she would make her mark on the 40,000-student institution. Amaral, a School of Arts and Sciences senior, said she knew she had found her chance when her Public Information & Public Relations course this year assigned her to participate in the Public Relations Student of the Year Contest, a national competition.

The University’s first club dedicated to beekeeping, Hive, the Apiculture Society at Rutgers, fills eight-ounce jars of honey, which they sell at the farmer’s market.
NEWS

Beekeeping club helps plants thrive on campus

Sarah Maceachern took a class last spring on beekeeping to conquer her fear of bees. But the fuzzy striped insects must have left a mark on Maceachern, as she and classmate Chris Farina teamed up to establish Hive, the Apiculture Society at Rutgers — the University’s first club dedicated to beekeeping. “I’m probably going to keep beekeeping for my entire life, just based on this experience,” said Maceachern, a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore.

NEWS

Rutgers-Newark, Rutgers-Camden law schools to merge

For the past three years, Rutgers-Newark and Rutgers-Camden have been cooperating on numerous fronts and now plan to merge law schools. Faculty voted on a resolution in January supporting the joining of the two law schools, said Rayman Solomon, dean of Rutgers School of Law-Camden. Now that the Board of Governors and University President Robert L. Barchi has given both schools an informal nod of approval, the faculty committee will move ahead with merger plans, said Ronald Chen, vice dean of Rutgers-Newark School of Law.

Café Z closed in February 2012, because the previous manager left to pursue work on his newly-opened restaurant. The cafe, now called Z Café, opens today under new management — The Food Architects. The group makes New York-styled gourmet sandwiches with fresh ingredients.
NEWS

Zimmerli Museum reopens Z Café

The Jane Voorhees Zimmerli Art Museum’s Z Café on the College Avenue campus is reopening with new managers and a new menu that caters to students and museum patrons on the go. The Z Café provides quick, casual service for students and museum patrons, said Kurt Harmon, one of the new managers of the café and co-owner of The Food Architects that will curate the menu of the café. Along with the usual fair, The Food Architects will collaborate with the museum to design witty foods that match museum exhibits, said Suzanne Delehanty, director of the museum.

Arne Jacobson, of the Schatz Energy Research Center, speaks to students and faculty yesteday, underlining an increase in handheld solar technology for the marketplace.
NEWS

Director talks importance of mini solar

The popularity of small-scale solar-powered technology is spreading in countries with limited access to standard electric grids. Arne Jacobson, director of the Schatz Energy Research Center, discussed how he worked on a wide range of off-grid solar initiatives in developing countries at Rutgers Energy Institute yesterday and how they can replace other harmful fuel sources.

The Rutgers University Student Assembly hosted University President Robert L. Barchi’s first town hall last Thursday with members of the University community. Barchi’s extended speech left student groups such as Students for Justice in Palestine and the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws unable to voice their concerns during the question-and-answer session.
NEWS

RUSA town hall leaves questions unanswered

University President Robert L. Barchi intended last Thursday’s town-hall style meeting to include the community voice, but many University students believe their perspectives were left unnoticed. During the meeting, an assistant to Barchi alerted him to end the meeting before 9:00 p.m., leaving many students’ questions and concerns unanswered. But the determined University chapter of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws rushed toward the front of the room, asking Barchi to listen to their viewpoint.

Dr. Sheldon J. Kukafka speaks at the Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital’s annual “Matters of the Heart,” yesterday about cardiac disease affecting young people.
NEWS

Physician looks at heart disease discrepancies

According to Dr. Marianne Legato, physicians have misdiagnosed heart disease in women for decades and are still doing so today. “Matters of the Heart” is an annual event that began six years ago to celebrate survivors of heart disease and hosts speakers to discuss topics of technologies in the field at the Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, said Kathleen Johnson, coordinator at the hospital.

NEWS

University produces three scholars from prestigious scholarships

After failing to hear back from his program director for some time, Matthew Cortland became convinced that he had not been awarded one of 18 spots for the prestigious Luce Scholarship.  Then the phone rang. “It’s the most exciting thing that’s ever happened to me,” said Cortland, a University alumnus. The Luce Scholarship, a paid internship that enables recipients to spend a year working somewhere in South or East Asia, is awarded to 15 to18 applicants nationwide per year, said Arthur D. Casciato, director of the Office of Distinguished Fellowships at the University.

Dorothy Roberts, a professor at the University of Pennsylvania, addressed the issue of race used as an identifying factor in medicine and research studies at the Institute of Health, Health Care Policy and Aging Research.
NEWS

Professor looks at prevalent use of race as factor in health diagnosis

Although many believe Western society is in a post-racial era, author Dorothy Roberts asserts that the scientific world still views race as a determining variable in research. Roberts, a professor at the University of Pennsylvania, spoke yesterday at the University’s Institute for Health, Health Care Policy and Aging Research as a part of the institute’s weekly Brown Bag Seminars. Even though geneticists proved false the idea of a pure race, sciences still accept race as an identifying factor in medicine and research studies, said Roberts.

More Articles