By Ian Erhard

Recent Articles:

Junior midfielder Katrina Martinelli looks to become a leader offensively.
NEWS

Key starters return for RU?offense

After ending the season on a four-game losing streak, any positivity surrounding the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team is directed toward its future. With a young attack and an experienced returning defense, the Scarlet Knights have much to look forward to.

Sophomore defender Hollie DiMuro was part of a unit that ranked sixth in the country in scoring defense.
NEWS

Losing skid ends year with lost opportunites

The Rutgers women’s lacrosse team’s season was a tale of two halves. The Scarlet Knights began with the best start in program history, sitting at 7-1 at the midway point and finding their way into the national polls at No. 18 in the country.

Senior first baseman Charlie Law hit 1-for-3 against Delaware yesterday and had 1 of just 5 Rutgers hits on the day.
NEWS

Knights offense stays scarce in loss

The Rutgers baseball team’s first four batters put together a combined two hits in 13 at bats in yesterday’s offensive struggle against Delaware. Senior first baseman Charlie Law recorded only one hit in the cleanup spot and missed an early RBI opportunity in the first inning when he flew out to right field to end the inning with junior second baseman Nick Favatella standing on third.

Junior midfielder Katrina Martinelli led Rutgers with two goals Sunday against Cincinnati and an assist Friday against Louisville. Despite the efforts, the Knights dropped both contests and ended the season 1-7 in Big East action.
NEWS

Knights end season on four-game Big East skid

The Rutgers women’s lacrosse team dropped its final two games of the season last weekend, as it closed out Big East play with four straight losses. The Scarlet Knights lost Sunday to Cincinnati, 9-8, after they fell Friday to Louisville, 14-1.

Freshman attack Halley Barnes scored three goals in two games last weekend, including a pair Sunday against Loyola. She has 20 points on the season.
NEWS

Knights close out season with weekend road trip

The Rutgers women’s lacrosse team is on the road for the first time this month, travelling to Louisville today to begin the final weekend of regular season action. The Scarlet Knights (9-6, 1-5) will then travel to Cincinnati (6-8, 0-6) on Sunday for its final contest.

Midfielder Chrissy Schreiber scored a late goal April 7 against No. 7 Syracuse.
NEWS

Midfielder aids offense in rookie season

Chrissy Schreiber is one of three freshmen to contribute to the Rutgers women’s lacrosse offense. The midfielder played in all 15 games this season with starts in 13 of them. “The experience is definitely going to help us in the future, me being a freshman,” Schreiber said.

Senior attack Annie McGinley has scored 13 goals this season to go along with her seven assists.
NEWS

Playoff fate rests with road games

The Rutgers women’s lacrosse team enters the final weekend of its regular season in an entirely different situation than where it was a month ago. The Scarlet Knights are on the road for their remaining two games, hoping to find a spot in the Big East Tournament.

Senior goalkeeper Lily Kalata helped the Knights defense hold Loyola to 10 goals on 26 shots despite injuries. But thanks to its lowest-scoring output of the season, Rutgers fell, 10-4.
NEWS

Knights fall to pair of ranked foes

The Rutgers women’s lacrosse team dropped its final two home games of the regular season last weekend. The Scarlet Knights fell yesterday at home to No. 13 Loyola, 10-4, following a 13-5 loss Friday to No. 8 Georgetown. Loyola (9-6, 5-1) dominated defensively, holding the Knights to their lowest scoring output of the season.

Junior midfielder Katrina Martinelli and the rest of the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team will have two opportunities this weekend to earn a win against a ranked team.
NEWS

Knights host pair of ranked foes in home action

The Rutgers women’s lacrosse team this weekend wraps up its regular season home schedule. No. 8 Georgetown (9-3, 3-1) visits the RU Turf Field on Friday before the Scarlet Knights (9-4, 1-3) host No. 13 Loyola (Md.) Sunday on Senior Day.

Junior defender Erin Turkot has caused 13 turnovers, collected 11 groundballs and secured two draw controls this season.
NEWS

Junior steps up on defense for Knights

When the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team allowed only six goals in Saturday’s win against Villanova, it proved to be on pace with the defensive standard it set for itself. The Scarlet Knights allow on average just more than six-and-a-half goals per game, which sits only behind Stony Brook for the best in the nation.

Junior midfielder Amanda Trendell has scored 14 goals this season.
NEWS

Junior plays scoring role for Knights

It is with an abundant amount of eye black and an American flag as a  bandana that Amanda Trendell steps onto the field. With 14 goals and eight assists, the junior midfielder sits third on the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team in points. The purpose of the game-day attire is to get everyone on the team pumped up, she said.

Senior attack Annie McGinley scored Rutgers’ final goal against Villanova on Saturday to secure the Knights’ 9-6 victory.
NEWS

Rutgers seizes first conference win of year

The Rutgers women’s lacrosse team defeated Villanova, 9-6, on Saturday for its first conference win of the season at the RU Turf Field. The Scarlet Knights (9-4, 1-3) never trailed in the game and improved to 21-0 all-time against the Wildcats (5-7, 0-4). Three players scored two goals for the Knights, and six different players secured at least one point.

Sophomore defender Hollie DiMuro forced three turnovers and grabbed four groundballs versus No. 5 Syracuse. She leads the team in both categories.
NEWS

Women's Lacrosse: Hoyas offer chance to end losing skid

The Rutgers women’s lacrosse team hosts Villanova tomorrow in the middle game of a five-game homestand. After they dropped their first three Big East contests, the Scarlet Knights (8-4, 0-3) will try to end the skid. The Wildcats (5-6, 0-3) enter on a three-game losing skid of their own. Rutgers and Villanova have had identical opponents to begin conference play and both have fallen to Syracuse, Notre Dame and Connecticut, respectively.

Sophomore defender Hollie DiMuro (25) has helped Rutgers, the nation’s second-best scoring defense, allow double-figure goals only twice. DiMuro causes more than one turnover on average per game.
NEWS

Women's Lacrosse: Sophomore excels for nation’s second-ranked ‘D’

Defender Hollie DiMuro manages to stand out on a team that ranks second in the nation in scoring defense. The sophomore leads the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team in caused turnovers and groundballs and stands among the top 30 in the country in both categories. But that does not stop DiMuro to stress how important her teammates are to her success. “They allow me to go out and do what I do best, which is cause turnovers and get groundballs,” she said.

Freshman Halley Barnes scored three goals against conference opponents last weekend. She sits fifth on the team in points with 13 goals and two assists.
NEWS

Women's Lacrosse: Attack provides scoring in injury-laden offense

After scoring two goals in the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team’s game Friday against Connecticut, freshman attack Halley Barnes became noticeably more confident in her play. The Garnet Valley, Pa., native was put into action immediately, starting in each of the first 11 games of her college career for the Scarlet Knights. Head coach Laura Brand-Sias said she saw a less hesitant player in Barnes on Sunday against Syracuse, where she scored on a free-position attempt.

Junior midfielder Amanda Trendell registered two goals on three shots and collected two groundballs during yesterday’s 10-8 loss to No. 5 Syracuse. Trendell’s last goal gave Rutgers its first lead of the game three mintues into the second half against the Orange.
NEWS

Women's Lacrosse: No. 5 Orange survive upset bid in final minutes

With 10 minutes remaining in the second period Sunday, head coach Laura Brand-Sias was forced to call a timeout. She watched as the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team allowed two straight goals to surrender its second-half lead against No. 5 Syracuse. With the game tied, 8-8, it was a crucial finish for the Scarlet Knights, who had yet to win their first conference game after suffering an 8-7 loss Friday to Connecticut. Midfielder Katie Webster capitalized on a free position attempt following the timeout to put Syracuse back in front.

Senior attack Annie McGinley enters today’s game with a three-goal performance March 24 against Marquette.
NEWS

Two-week layoff prepares Knights for UConn

The Rutgers women’s lacrosse team kicks off a five-game homestand today when it hosts Connecticut at the RU Stadium Complex. The Scarlet Knights (8-2, 0-1) search for their first Big East win this season, after a loss March 22 against No. 7 Notre Dame. With nearly two weeks since their last game — a 9-4 win March 24 against Marquette, which is not a member of the Big East in women’s lacrosse — the Knights have had ample time to prepare for the Huskies (7-1, 0-1).

NEWS

Women's Lacrosse: Attack aids in low-goal contests

With the score tied in the second half against Monmouth on March 2, junior attack Megan Clements went on an offensive tear. She scored four goals in a little more than 10 minutes to give the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team an important early-season victory. This was the breakout game for Clements this season, but multiple-point contests would soon become the norm for her. Clements sits second in points for the Scarlet Knights — behind junior midfielder Katrina Martinelli.

NEWS

Women's Lacrosse: Senior returns to form following knee injury

Much of the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team’s early success this season has been built upon the play of its upperclassmen. The defense has managed strong numbers because of the chemistry developed by its returning players — while three juniors currently lead the Scarlet Knights in scoring on the offensive side. In matchups against conference opponents, experience begins to play a larger role toward team success.

Senior goalkeeper Lily Kalata boasts a .504 save percentage during Rutgers’ 8-2 start.
NEWS

Lacrosse: RU prepares for conference slate

With its next victory, the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team will tie its season total in wins from a year ago. As Big East action is upon them, the Knights have set themselves up for a successful second half with their play in the early months. Rutgers is undefeated at home, where it will play its next five conference games. But the level of competition Rutgers faced with its non-conference schedule acts as a primer for what lies ahead.

More Articles