By Ingrid J. Paredes

Recent Articles:

SCIENCE

Engineers work on housing project

The Center for American Progress declared in 2010 that New York City’s South Bronx is the poorest district in the nation. For decades, underdevelopment of the area has left homes neglected and deteriorating. The district’s population has struggled with health and safety issues associated with their environment, said Clinton Andrews, professor in the Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy.

Yogesh Jaluria, a Board of Governors professor in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, was awarded a fellowship to the American Physical Society for his wide range of research in the field of fluid mechanics.
SCIENCE

Professor elected for American Physical Society fellowship

A distinction awarded to a professor in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering has highlighted the overlap between research in physics and engineering. Yogesh Jaluria, a Board of Governors professor in the department, said he received a fellowship from the American Physical Society for his research in the field of fluid mechanics — the physics of liquids, gases and plasmas.

SCIENCE

Molecule discovery may help lower influenza-related deaths

Last year’s flu season produced higher rates of hospitalization and more influenza-related deaths than recent years, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The discovery of a new molecule by a team of Rutgers and University of Rochester researchers, though, may help lower those numbers within the next decade.

NEWS

University scientists find unlikely HIV cure in anti-fungal foot cream

A new study conducted by Rutgers scientists shows the cure for the human immunodeficiency virus may come from an unexpected source. In a preclinical study conducted at the New Jersey Medical School, now a branch of Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences, researchers have found that ciclopirox, an active ingredient in anti-fungal foot cream, completely eliminates HIV in human cell cultures.

NEWS

U. engineering students win packaging expo

Four Rutgers University School of Engineering students put their skills to the test at an annual packaging trade show held from Sept. 23 to Sept. 25 in Las Vegas, Nev. The team of packaging engineers — Miles Borgeson, Diane Jones, Diana Mayorga and Marie Misterio — designed the winning entry of the PACK EXPO 2013 Solutions Challenge.

Aatish Bhatia, an alumnus of the Rutgers doctoral physics program, combines his love of research with his passion for writing on his scientific blog.
SCIENCE

University alumnus fuses blogging with research

Typically regarded as an exclusive group, scientists are taking their work out of the laboratory and into the blogosphere. Aatish Bhatia, an alumnus of the Rutgers doctoral physics program, has spent the last two years explaining scientific topics on his blog, “Empirical Zeal.”

Rutgers geneticists studied roundworms because of their simplicity. Roundworms have 300 neurons in their nervous system, while humans have about 100 billion neurons.
SCIENCE

Geneticists create model for comprehending chronic stress

A team of Rutgers geneticists has created a new model for understanding chronic stress. The study, published in the August issue of “Current Biology,” found the impact of chronic stress on the structure of six neurons in Caenorhabditis elegans roundworms, said Maureen Barr, a professor in the Department of Genetics.

More Articles