By Jim Mooney

Recent Articles:

NEWS

Knights focus on details for first home team meet

After an impressive performance at the Sonny Werblin Invitational last weekend, the Rutgers swimming and diving team looks to translate that success to the first dual meet of the season. The Scarlet Knights open their competitive schedule today against Wagner at the RU Aquatic Center. “There is a different mindset that we are going to need to have going into a dual meet,” said head coach Phil Spiniello “We are going to have to show up and race.”

Junior forward Stefanie Scholz runs after the ball during Rutgers’ 2-1 loss last night against Connecticut. The Huskies scored a game-winning goal in the 80th minute to secure a victory at Yurcak Field.
NEWS

Late UConn goal sinks Rutgers

With a potential home playoff game on the line, Rutgers and Connecticut faced a high-stakes game at Yurcak Field. Both teams saw their fair share of chances, but the Huskies (11-7, 5-3) capitalized on their opportunities to secure a crucial 2-1 victory against the Scarlet Knights (11-4-2, 4-3-1). “It’s a very difficult loss, and I need to be honest, I didn’t think there was any point in the match that we thought we would be on the wrong end of the match,” said head coach Glenn Crooks.

Senior defender Tricia DiPaolo will be partially responsible in stopping Connecticut’s offense when Rutgers hosts the Huskies tonight at Yurcak Field.
NEWS

Home-field advantage in playoffs remains at stake

With only two games remaining in the Rutgers women’s soccer team’s regular season, the pressure to perform is high. Rutgers currently sits tied for third in the AAC, six points behind first-place UCF, and only one point ahead of fourth-place Connecticut. For the Scarlet Knights (11-3-2, 4-2-1), tonight will feature a critical matchup when Connecticut (10-7, 4-3) comes to Yurcak Field.

Senior forward Jonelle Filigno has aspirations to play in the National Women’s Soccer League after graduating from Rutgers. The Knights will honor Filigno and three other seniors Sunday in the team’s final home game.
NEWS

Seniors provide example to close out RU tenures

The final home stand of the regular season is always special. For the Rutgers women’s soccer team, this weekend will be no different as its final two home games of the regular season will be meaningful both on and off the field. Thursday night will feature the annual Pink Game, in which the Scarlet Knights will wear pink jerseys in recognition of Breast Cancer Awareness Month as it takes on Connecticut.

NEWS

Knights go winless in two-game Fla. tilt

The final road trip of the regular season did not go as well as the Rutgers women’s soccer team hoped. After losing to No. 21 Central Florida, 2-1, Friday night, the Scarlet Knights intended to rebound Sunday against South Florida. They responded with a 2-2 tie with the Bulls. “This weekend didn’t go quite the way we would have liked, but I’m happy with our effort all weekend,” said senior forward Jonelle Filigno.

Senior Mary Moser finished first in the 100 butterfly with a finishing time of 57:52. She also placed second in the 200 butterfly event.
NEWS

Knights post several top-five finishes at Invite

For the Rutgers swimming and diving team, its first meet provided a positive start to the season. The Scarlet Knights impressed at the two-day Sonny Werblin Invitational, which began Friday. “Normally it’s pretty hard to get into the groove in the first meet of the season, but as a whole the team did pretty well,” said senior swimmer Mary Moser. Saturday featured a solid performance from Rutgers as the team completed several top-five finishes.

Sophomore backstroke swimmer Joanna Wu returns for the Knights. She will compete in the 400-meter medley relay in which all members returned.
NEWS

RU returns to pool with experience

After a season when the Rutgers swimming and diving made some history, the team now faces high expectations in its 2013-2014 campaign. The Scarlet Knights return 14 letterwinners from last season, including the entire 400-meter medley relay team. That unit consists of sophomore Joanna Wu, junior Greta Leberfinger and seniors Brittany Guinee and Mary Moser.

Junior forward Stefanie Scholz will attempt to replicate the production of senior forward Jonelle Filigno, who will miss tonight’s match because of a red card.
NEWS

Knights face No. 21 team without star forward

There normally comes a time during the regular season when a team needs to make a statement. For the Rutgers women’s soccer team, that moment could occur today in Orlando, Fla., when the Scarlet Knights (11-2-1, 4-1) face No. 21 UCF (11-2-2, 4-0-1). It will mark the first time since Sept. 6 that Rutgers has faced a nationally ranked opponent, when then-No. 5 Virginia downed the Knights, 6-0. The Cavaliers are currently ranked No. 1.

Freshman defender Erin Smith returned last Friday in the Knights’ 1-0 victory against Houston. Since her return, Rutgers has registered two staight home shutouts.
NEWS

Defender adds depth after recovery

With the regular season reaching its final stretch, the return of an injured starter bolstered the Rutgers women’s soccer team. Freshman defender Erin Smith returned to the field during the Scarlet Knights’ most recent home stand after she sustained an ankle injury Sept. 20 against Villanova. Since her return Friday against Houston, the Knights’ defense has allowed no goals in two games, both victories.

Senior forward Jonelle Filigno will miss Friday’s match against Central Florida after earning a red card last Friday against SMU.
NEWS

Depth changes without Filigno

Throughout the season, the Rutgers women’s soccer team has overcome different forms of adversity to earn its 11-2-1 record. But the team will face arguably its biggest challenge Friday, as it plays conference front-runner Central Florida without one of its best players. Senior forward Jonelle Filigno must sit out the road game after she received a red card and was ejected from Sunday’s game against Southern Methodist.

Defender Erica Skroski scored the first goal of her career in Sunday’s 1-0 win.
NEWS

Knights use quick goal to down SMU

The Rutgers women’s soccer team faced some unexpected adversity yesterday, as it defeated Southern Methodist, 1-0, to close a three-game home stand. The Scarlet Knights were looking for a better start than they had in Thursday’s 1-0 victory against Houston. Rutgers got one, striking first in the opening minutes of the game.

Junior forward Stefanie Scholz broke a scoreless tie last night at Yurcak Field in the 61st minute with a game-winning goal for the Knights against Houston.
NEWS

Junior’s second-half goal lands Knights AAC win

On a cold October night at Yurcak Field, the Rutgers women’s soccer team received all it could handle from Houston but came away yesterday with a 1-0 victory. A defensive-minded Houston team stifled the potent Scarlet Knight offense for most of the game, but Rutgers capitalized on a second-half opportunity and held off a late rally to escape with a crucial conference win.

NEWS

RU faces Houston after brief layoff from play

In the midst of a three-game home stand, the Rutgers women’s soccer team has adopted a definitive mindset: do not lose at home. The approach has allowed the Scarlet Knights to focus on extending its Yurcak Field unbeaten streak when it faces Houston and Southern Methodist this weekend. Rutgers (9-2-1, 2-1) faces Houston tonight instead of the normal Friday night start, meaning the team had a shorter time to practice.

Senior forward Jonelle Filigno said the Knights experienced a physical game last Friday against Memphis. Rutgers will now play consecutive home matches before travelling to South Florida and Central Florida.
NEWS

Knights stress rest with tourney play looming

Each week of the regular season brings its own challenges for the Rutgers women’s soccer team, and this week is no different. The Scarlet Knights will prepare for tomorrow night’s matchup against Houston. Rutgers will have to adjust to being on a short week of practice, but this does not seem to be something it can handle.

Senior forward Jonelle Filigno fights for a loose ball Friday night against Memphis at Yurcak Field. She scored two goals as the Knights held on for a 3-2 win.
NEWS

Knights stifle Tigers’ late comeback push for win

The Rutgers women’s soccer team was in a battle Friday night in its conference opener against Memphis. Despite the Tigers’ comeback attempt, the Scarlet Knights held on for a 3-2 victory. The Knights (9-2-1, 2-1) controlled most of the contest, but Memphis (7-5, 0-3) would not go away easily.

Freshman midfielder Madiosn Tiernan will be one of the players head coach Glenn Crooks relies on this weekend to produce on the offensive side of the ball. Tiernan is tied for second on the team this season with six goals.
NEWS

Rutgers hopes to respond again following loss

The Rutgers women’s soccer team has displayed many different characteristics this season, and resiliency has been one of them. The Scarlet Knights (8-2-1, 1-1) return to Yurcak Field tonight after splitting a two-game road trip last weekend with a victory against Cincinnati and a loss against Louisville.

NEWS

Knights’ RPI dips as homestand looms

After splitting last weekend’s road games, the Rutgers women’s soccer team has some work to do to get back to last week’s success. The Scarlet Knights held the No. 12 RPI last week, but dropped to No. 26 this week after Sunday’s 4-1 loss to Louisville. Though not in an ideal position, the Knights have seven regular season games left to improve their tournament resumé.

NEWS

Filigno gives leadership to young roster

With a wealth of experience, senior forward Jonelle Filigno can teach quite a bit to the younger members of the Rutgers women’s soccer team. Filigno has been one of the Scarlet Knights’ leaders as they continue to mesh a combination of youth and experience.

Senior forward Jonelle Filigno scored her 16th-career game-winning goal Friday in Rutgers’ 1-0 victory against Cincinnati. Filigno passed former players Carli Lloyd and Kris Kurzynowski for the record.
NEWS

Filigno nets record in weekend split

It turned out to be a special night for the Rutgers women’s soccer team Friday when it stepped on the field for its AAC opener against Cincinnati.The former Big East opponents battled in the Scarlet Knights’ tight 1-0 victory, as senior forward Jonelle Filigno took her place in the Rutgers (8-2-1) record books.

Junior forward Stephanie Scholz, who was named to this week’s AAC Honor Roll, will try to help Rutgers enter the national polls this weekend against conference opponents. The Knights currently hold the No. 12 RPI.
NEWS

Knights take win streak into AAC play

Halfway though the season, the Rutgers women’s soccer team has put itself into good position as the team begins conference play tonight. The Scarlet Knights (7-1-1) currently hold the best AAC record, but by only a half game over Memphis.

More Articles