By Josh Bakan

Recent Articles:

NEWS

Five takes on Julie Hermann, Star-Ledger situation

Athletic Director Julie Hermann’s comments about The Star-Ledger are as ironic as a university neglecting to do a background check on an alleged abuser after the fallout from an abusive coach. Or as ironic as a student journalist with no ethics in a media ethics class. Hermann said the death of The Star-Ledger “would be great” in a wide-ranging interview Feb. 27 with a Rutgers media ethics class.

NEWS

Seagears opts to join group of transfers

Junior guards Jerome Seagears and D’Von Campbell and junior wing Craig Brown received transfer releases from the Rutgers men’s basketball team.Seagears confirmed his transfer on Twitter. “I have officially received my full release from Rutgers and free to go anywhere in the country,” Seagears tweeted. “Looking forward to what the future brings!”

Guard Myles Mack is one of six seniors returning next year for the Knights entering their move to the Big Ten. Mack led the team with 14.9 points per game.
NEWS

Jordan aims to improve in Big Ten

A 92-31 loss derives from more than a few mistakes. For the Rutgers men’s basketball team, the March 13 loss against Louisville in the AAC Tournament represented a rebuilding process far from completion. This was a season (12-21, 5-13) for first-year head coach Eddie Jordan to acclimate to the Scarlet Knights and coaching college basketball.

Head coach Eddie Jordan frustratingly glares at his team in a late timeout. Louisville's lead against Rutgers became unmanageable for the Knights early.
NEWS

AAC Tournament: Rutgers' embarrassment to Louisville nears worst loss in team history

MEMPHIS — No one said things would be easy for the Rutgers men’s basketball team. But after the Scarlet Knights’ 92-31 loss to Louisville today, head coach Eddie Jordan already owns three losses more lopsided than any in the Mike Rice era. Rice’s worst defeat came was a 70-49 rout against Villanova in 2012’s Big East Tournament. That was mild compared to Rutgers’ AAC quarterfinal loss.

Senior forward Wally Judge struggles against a USF defender. Judge fouled out of the game with five minutes left.
NEWS

Knights extend season despite foul issues

MEMPHIS — When senior forward Wally Judge heard the whistle on South Florida forward Victor Rudd’s layup, he instantly knew he had fouled out. Judge removed his headband for what was possibly the final time after leaving the game last night against South Florida. If the last-seeded Bulls defeated the Rutgers men’s basketball team in the first round of the AAC Tournament, Judge had to sit for the final 5:04 of it.

Kadeem Jack is part of an RU frontcourt with more depth than earlier in the year.
NEWS

Rutgers eyes clean slate in tournament

Even the coach whose team handed the Rutgers men’s basketball team its most lopsided loss of the season gave the Scarlet Knights a chance in the AAC Tournament. “Rutgers has very good guard play, and their frontcourt’s getting better,” said Louisville head coach Rick Pitino on Monday’s AAC coaches teleconference.

Senior wing J.J. Moore speeds into a heavily guarded paint for a layup against Cincinnati guards Kevin Johnson (25) and Troy Caupain (10).
NEWS

Knights near upset in final home match

As the Rutgers men’s basketball team’s chances of upsetting No. 15 Cincinnati hinged on the AAC’s leading scorer’s fingertips, the Louis Brown Athletic Center shook at seismic levels. Senior wing J.J. Moore, playing his final home and regular-season game, decently defended guard Sean Kilpatrick throughout the Scarlet Knights’ 70-66 loss.

Forward Wally Judge will be honored tomorrow at the RAC, along with wing J.J. Moore as RU’s lone seniors. Judge transferred in 2011 from Kansas State and averages 7.4 points and six rebounds per game this season.
NEWS

Transfers close Rutgers' transition

The Rutgers men’s basketball team’s 2010 recruiting class comprised of Gilvydas Biruta, Mike Poole, Austin Carroll and Tyree Graham. Four years ago, these players were set to receive honors on 2014’s senior night, which occurs tomorrow against No. 15 Cincinnati (24-5, 13-3). Now the team will honor forward Wally Judge and wing J.J. Moore, who transferred from Kansas State and Pittsburgh, respectively.

Sophomore wing Kahleah Copper said she was not in sync in Rutgers’ loss Monday night after missing Saturday with turf toe.
NEWS

Napier’s threes hold off Rutgers

In the final 10 minutes last night against Connecticut, the Rutgers men’s basketball team got four field goals and two free throws. Junior forward Kadeem Jack’s insertion into the game against No. 19 UConn was the Scarlet Knights’ chance to finally overcome a one-possession deficit. The Knights trailed, 56-53, with 10:05 left in Storrs, Conn. It was impressive considering Huskies guard Shabazz Napier forgot how to miss 3-pointers.

Junior guard Jerome Seagears leads the AAC with a 2.5 assist-to-turnover ratio,. Seagears scored 19 points off 4-for-9 shooting from the field Jan. 25, when the Knights last played the No. 19 Connecticut.
NEWS

Guard resurges before UConn

On rare occasion when junior guard Jerome Seagears jacks up long-range shots for the Rutgers men’s basketball team, they fall. It happened when Seagears last confronted Connecticut guard Shabazz Napier, known for his agility and quick decisions. Seagears is quick enough to control the ball, leading the AAC with a 2.5 assist-to-turnover ratio. He makes decisions as quickly as anyone, but they often lead to poor shot selection.

Head coach Eddie Jordan said he often teaches his players lessons faster than he did with NBA players to see how much information the Knights can retain.
NEWS

Jordan makes strides amid return to college coaching

Eddie Jordan and Mike Rice present a myriad of differences in on-court demeanor. Firstly, when Jordan wears a suit as Rutgers head men’s basketball coach, his jacket doesn’t end up on the floor. Rice was a disciplinarian whose abuse in practices eventually got him fired.

Junior forward Kadeem Jack attempts a layup Saturday against USF at the RAC. Jack converted the game-winning shot with 11 seconds remaining.
NEWS

Knights erase deficit with game winner

As the Rutgers men’s basketball team led South Florida, 74-73, with five seconds left, junior forward Kadeem Jack gave USF forward Victor Rudd something to laugh about. “I actually told him [during the dead ball on that play], ‘I know it’s coming to you, so I’m going to play up on you hard,’” Jack said postgame.

Head coach Eddie Jordan said the Knights’ loss Wednesday at UCF stemmed from an inability to play for a complete 40 minutes. RU has only three games left to push for the AAC’s sixth seed, starting tomorrow against USF.
NEWS

Time dwindles for Rutgers to get on track

The Rutgers men’s basketball team’s loss against Central Florida on Wednesday put the Scarlet Knights in a bad spot. Rutgers’ (10-18, 4-11) goal is to finish sixth in the AAC, which gives it a first-round bye in the conference tournament. That is Houston’s (13-14, 5-9) to take with an easier schedule than the Knights for the rest of the regular season. The Knights next host South Florida (12-16, 3-12) tomorrow, but it gets more difficult from there.

NEWS

Central Florida edges Rutgers behind scoring outburst

A day after Rutgers head men’s basketball coach Eddie Jordan emphasized to media that the Scarlet Knights take too many bad shots, Rutgers had to rely on one last night. Senior forward J.J. Moore’s NBA-range 3-pointer hung in the air as Rutgers trailed Central Florida, 65-63. It bounced off the rim, leaving Rutgers with a 67-65 loss in Orlando. Rutgers (10-18, 4-11) played strong defense overall against UCF, allowing only 38.9 percent field goal shooting.

Junior guard Jerome Seagears is one of the veterans who could see reduced minutes going forward after head coach Eddie Jordan expressed confidence in a new unit.
NEWS

New lineup faces pivotal AAC matchup

Head coach Eddie Jordan possibly eliminated the opportunity for some Rutgers men’s basketball veterans to play significantly. Jordan expressed faith in the lineup he used for the entire final 10:19 Thursday against Memphis: junior guard Myles Mack, junior wing Malick Kone, freshman forward Junior Etou and junior forwards Craig Brown and Kadeem Jack.

Junior forward Kadeem Jack averages 14.5 points and 6.9 rebounds per game.
NEWS

Jack begins to peak at crucial time of season

The goal of the Rutgers men’s basketball team to finish sixth in the AAC is modest, but head coach Eddie Jordan wondered if the Scarlet Knights are truly worthy. “We had to have some type of redemption,” Jordan said after the Scarlet Knights’ 64-59 loss Thursday to Memphis. “The first thing I asked [pregame] was, ‘Do we belong?’”

Head coach Eddie Jordan used the same lineup for the last 10:19 of the game, substituting junior Craig Brown at forward.
NEWS

Knights fall short behind stagnant offense

The Rutgers men’s basketball team played like a completely different team in last night’s 64-59 loss to No. 22 Memphis than in its 48-point loss Sunday to Louisville. That excludes when the Scarlet Knights (10-17, 4-10) possessed the ball. The Knights outscored Memphis, 48-42, after the Tigers (20-6, 9-4) led, 22-11, with 8:19 left in the first half at the Louis Brown Athletic Center. But Memphis still sealed Rutgers’ 10th loss in 12 games.

Senior forward Wally Judge said Rutgers must feed the ball to its post players and show more physicality down low in order to generate offense tonight against Memphis, especially if the Knights cannot get outside shots to fall.
NEWS

RU looks for offensive motion

Ten months and only 10 wins into Eddie Jordan’s Rutgers head men’s basketball coaching career, his players still don’t quite get his message yet.“I haven’t been able to get our guys to make plays,” Jordan said Tuesday post-practice. “We’ve got to make plays against pressure defense against physical play. We have to stay organized and disciplined, and that’s a big theme of ours.”

Sophomore wing Kerwin Okoro made his first significant contributions since transferring to RU on Sunday, producing 9 points in 13 minutes at Louisville.
NEWS

Transfer provides spark off bench

Sophomore wing Kerwin Okoro campaigned hard for the NCAA to give him a hardship waiver to immediately play for the Rutgers men’s basketball team. But once he received knee surgery right before the regular season, the year Okoro fought for became a year of ineffectiveness and little playing time. That was until Okoro played the defending national champions.

Louisville guard Chris Jones drives past forward Craig Brown at the KFC Yum! Center last night. The Cardinals dominated Rutgers from the outset in a 102-54 victory.
NEWS

Cards employ press ‘D’ to embarrass RU

LOUISVILLE, KY. — Only 51 seconds and a 6-0 lead into the Rutgers men’s basketball team’s 102-54 loss last night to defending national champion Louisville, the Cardinals unloaded their full-court press. With the teams’ disparities clear as the surface of Louisville’s championship trophy and scoring so easy for No. 13 Louisville, sacrificing half-court defense wasn’t actually much of a sacrifice.

More Articles