By Lisa Berkman

Recent Articles:

A student bikes across George Street in downtown New Brunswick, a busy road that does not feature designated bike lanes.
NEWS

Professor: U. needs to prioritize safe biking

A University professor thinks biking is the answer to the University’s overcrowded bus system — a solution he said would help dilute traffic, provide health benefits for students and make roads safer. John Pucher, professor at the Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy, said local governments should consider expanding their efforts in bike safety in his new book, “City Cycling.” Pucher said the University has built a number of bike lanes, but they are not well connected and are often considered dangerous.

NEWS

Community looks at Asian-American historical figures

The Asian-American Studies Learning Community is scheduled to open this spring to provide an outlet for students to learn about the role Asian-Americans occupy in history. The new community focuses on a 1.5 credit class called “Power to the People! Asian-Americans Make History.” The syllabus covers the civil rights movement and the intersections of radical politics between Asian-American, Latin-America and African-American coalitions.

Students from Delta Phi Omega, a South Asian-interest sorority, perform a dance Friday at the 54th annual Association of Indians at Rutgers show.
NEWS

Cultural show raises $6K for charity

A crowd of 300 people cheered on performers in the 54th annual Association of Indians at Rutgers Show, a performance-packed night that featured 200 students staying in touch with their culture through music and dance. Performances at this year’s show, “Chaahat: Crave the Impossible,” included cultural dances, a drum circle and a staged Bollywood parody Friday night at the State Theatre in downtown New Brunswick.

NEWS

UMDNJ integration begins with facilities, administration team

After months of debate, the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey is set to integrate with Rutgers University on July 1, 2013 — a move that will expand the Rutgers brand across the state. The various schools and institutes that once belonged to UMDNJ will take on the University’s name with the newly developed Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences branch. The School of Biomedical and Health Sciences will encompass seven UMDNJ units including the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and UMDNJ School of Public Health, along with the University’s School of Nursing, Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy, and the Institute for Health, Health Care Policy and Aging Research.

Students attentively watch President Barack Obama and Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney square off in the third and final presidential debate at Lynn University in Boca Raton, Fla. The Eagleton Institute of Politics hosted the “Popcorn and Politics” watch party last night on Douglass campus.
NEWS

Campus tunes in to final debate at watch party

The Youth Political Participation Program hosted a “Popcorn and Politics” debate watch party last night, which featured separate rooms for CNN, MSNBC and FOX News coverage. Elizabeth Matto, director of the Youth Political Participation Program, said though President Barack Obama was in the lead just a month ago, the race has come incredibly close in the past few weeks. “There aren’t that many undecided voters left out there, but there are a lot of voters who aren’t sure if it’s worth turning out on Election Day,” she said.

Students walk from the Douglass Campus Center to the Rutgers Student Center on the College Avenue campus Saturday to raise money for updated school supplies in Haiti through N.J.?for Haiti.
NEWS

Campus walk-a-thon helps fund literacy efforts in Haiti

Though the earthquake hit Haiti two years ago, devastation from its 7.0 magnitude still lingers. With 316,000 citizens killed and 1.5 million displaced, the country is in desperate need of humanitarian assistance. The Galvanizing and Organizing Youth Activism Project responded to this demand by organizing a walk-a-thon on Saturday. The board donated its profits to N.J. for Haiti to build an academic infrastructure in the hope of improving education in towns like Carrefour, which is near the country’s capital.

James Johnson, a professor in the Department of Religion, speaks as part of panel about British evangelicals Wednesday at the Douglass Campus Center.
NEWS

Panelist describes religious influences, impacts today

An ancient mysterious exile has caused religious controversy in modern times, as a string of disputed claims have emerged after a couple of ancient Hebrew tribes disappeared in the Babylonian period. Panelists spoke to a crowd of more than 100 people in the Douglass Campus Center on Wednesday about the effects of Jewish heritage on Evangelical and Mormon sects, which profess a direct relation to these tribes.

Economics professor Rosanne Althshuler discusses how President Barack Obama and Mitt Romney’s tax reforms are worth looking into.
NEWS

Panel stresses weight of economy in race

With the presidential elections looming on the horizon and unemployment rates high in the United States, how each candidate plans to boost the economy could decide who wins the race. A panel of faculty from the Department of Economics spoke to a crowd of about 100 people at the Rutgers Student Center on the College Avenue campus yesterday about what is at stake when the nation’s unemployment rate is the highest since the Great Depression.

Salt River Bay, one of the few bioluminescent bodies of water left in the world, borders the site where the a Marine Research Education Center is proposed to be built. The University is a partner in this project.
NEWS

Residents protest research center

One of the few bioluminescent bays left in the world is preserved in the Virgin Islands, in a small town called St. Croix. The concentrated nutrients in the water make it glow in the night, a site tourists come to see.Within this area, the University has plans to partner with the University of South Carolina, the University of the Virgin Islands and the University of North Carolina to erect the Salt River Bay Marine Research and Education Center.

Jeffrey Young, technology editor at The Chronicle for Higher Education, wondered yesterday what could be learned from the Unabomber’s writings.
NEWS

Panel considers merit of Unabomber’s arguments

He was a prodigy, an assistant professor and a murderer. Theodore John “Ted” Kaczynski, also known as the “Unabomber,” mailed bombs throughout the country in a campaign against technology. Though FBI officers arrested Kaczynski in 1996, he still writes anti-technology essays from prison. A crowd of about 40 gathered at Alexander Library on the College Avenue campus to analyze his publications and discuss the consequences of technology on society.

Faculty panelists discuss being LGBTQ while working at the University last night in the Graduate Student Lounge in the Rutgers Student Center on the College Avenue campus in front of about 30 people.
NEWS

LGBTQ faculty sound off on work experience on campus

Faculty panelists yesterday discussed how it is sometimes difficult to work in academia as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer community. “Surviving academia as an LGBT person is a curious mix of finding and maintaining your own voice and individuality, but still getting the approval of others who have control over your career,” said Michael LaSala, associate professor in the School of Social Work.

Joanne Gottesman, professor at Rutgers-Camden, speaks about the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals policy.
NEWS

Immigration expert looks at implications of deferred action

The Eagleton Program on Immigration and Democracy hosted an information session on Douglass campus yesterday, where 15 members of the University community gathered to discuss the intricacies of the recent immigration policy change. Janet Napolitano, secretary of Homeland Security, decided in June to make the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals policy, which gives children who crossed the United States border without documentation the possibility of prolonging their stay and receiving work authorization, said Joanne Gottesman, clinical associate professor of law at Rutgers-Camden.

Eric LeGrand, a School of Arts and Sciences senior, speaks yesterday at the Visitor Center on Busch campus.
NEWS

Eric LeGrand celebrates new book release

Eric LeGrand, former defensive tackle for the Scarlet Knights, was paralyzed from the neck down while playing in October 2010. But the School of Arts and Sciences senior has found a new passion — telling the world his inspirational story. LeGrand spoke to a crowd of 275 people at the Visitor Center yesterday on Busch campus to promote the release of his two books, “Believe: My Faith and the Tackle That Changed My Life,” and “Believe: The Victorious Story of Eric LeGrand.”

NEWS

Symposium attracts top stem cell researchers

BRIDGEWATER — Scientists from all over the country gathered for the sixth annual New Jersey Stem Cell Research Symposium on Wednesday at the Bridgewater Marriott hotel. Researchers presented discoveries to an audience of about 250 people, with the University contributing 42 displays on findings in fields ranging from leukemia to addiction. The symposium was designed to help different personnel in the field meet to boost productivity, said Kathryn Drzewiecki, a University graduate student in biomedical engineering.

Students line up outside of the SouperVan on Douglass campus. The mobile vendor offers healthy soups and sandwiches, and for every meal purchased, one meal is donated to Elijah’s Promise Soup Kitchen.
NEWS

SouperVan provides food, work through social enterprise

Usually stationed on Douglass campus, the SouperVan is trying to solve the world’s hunger problems one cup of soup at a time. The charity-driven truck has partnered with Elijah’s Promise, a New Brunswick-based soup kitchen, to provide a meal for the hungry with every purchase made, said Nicholas Kubian, co-fou nder of the SouperVan. “We’re trying to create an example for a solution that allows people to eat healthier and simultaneously feed someone else while doing so,” he said.

NEWS

Project GROW pairs teens in foster care with student mentors

Girls need role models, especially in high school. And those that have been tossed around the foster care system might need them even more. This is the philosophy behind Project GROW (Girls Realizing Opportunities in the World), which began in 2011, sprouting from collaboration between the University’s Institute for Women’s Leadership and the Graduate School of Applied and Professional Psychology.

NEWS

Business school to gain core Livingston facility

Following a large donation from an anonymous donor, the Rutgers Business School is set to undergo an expansion, with new facilities being constructed on Livingston campus. The expansion started materializing after administrators realized there had not been enough emphasis on business, said Glen Shafer, dean of the Rutgers Business School. “We felt there was a great student need for it,” Shafer said. “I think everyone in the administration felt that we were not meeting the student demand in the area, and they thought it was the right thing for Rutgers to do.”

Richard?L. Edwards, interim vice president for Academic Affairs, introduces new?President Robert L. Barchi to a crowd of about 6,000 people Saturday in High Point Solutions Stadium on Busch campus.
NEWS

Welcome to the banks

The University’s 250th anniversary class arrived to campus on Saturday with a welcome ceremony that included a string of performances at High Point Solutions Stadium. The event drew in a crowd of about 6,000 first-years.But members of the incoming class were not the only ones being welcomed, as the Convocation also marked a new beginning for University President Robert L. Barchi, who gave a speech to the crowd.

Graduate student Brian Stromberg gets his biked checked at
a workshop during yesterday’s Bike Fair on College Avenue.
NEWS

Fair promotes safe bicycling in city, campus

Considering the traffic jams and limited parking at the University, it is not surprising those with cars have trouble getting around. But as bicycle racks begin to fill up on campus, it seems that some students have found a solution. A bicycle fair was held outside the Graduate Student Lounge on College Avenue yesterday, with activities ranging from a bike maintenance workshop to a safety information session.

NEWS

Republican primaries take East Coast

The primaries are coming to the East Coast today as residents from New York, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Delaware vote to determine the Republican Party’s presidential nomination. Ruth Mandel, director of the Eagleton Institute of Politics, said the nomination would probably be handed over to Mitt Romney, whose popularity is high among voters.

More Articles