By Mary Diduch

Recent Articles:

Grease trucks, a campus staple that must now apply for an RFP to operate on Lot 8, where they sat since 1996.
NEWS

Commitee reconsiders grease trucks tradition

Since when was the “Fat Darrell” a big fat problem? When the University last November created an ad-hoc committee to evaluate the status of the grease trucks’ operation in Lot 8 on the College Avenue campus, it left many in the University community — including alumni — scratching their heads. Websites, Facebook groups and T-shirts proclaiming “Save the Grease Trucks” started cropping up when The Daily Targum wrote about a meeting where a committee of students and administrators discussed putting the lot out to bid for a slew of health, safety and financial reasons.

Anne Newman, the director of Student Conduct, discusses the changes to the University’s Student Code of Conduct yesterday at the River Lounge of the Student Activities Center.
NEWS

Director of student conduct revises decade-old system

The set of regulations that govern student behavior is undergoing several key changes — like becoming more simplified and clear — since it was last updated more than a decade ago. The Rutgers University Student Assembly was one of the first student groups to publically hear the changes to the Student Code of Conduct from Director of Student Conduct Anne Newman at its meeting last night in the Student Activities Center on the College Avenue campus.

Assistant Dean for the Douglass Project Elaine Zundl moderates a
panel of women in the science and technology field last night at
the Douglass Campus Center.
NEWS

Panel explores gender roles in technology

There are many successful women in the fields of science and technology — but they are rarely seen or heard. This was one theme of last night’s “Gender and Social Media Panel: Being Female in a Virtual World” discussion, which looked at the stereotypes many women face when working in technology fields. The talk, sponsored by Douglass Residential College and the Department of Library and Information Sciences, featured three women panelists with research interests in gender constructs in technology and science.

NEWS

A final farewell: All I can say is, 'It happened'

You know it’s a new board when the cleaning supplies are out, the wall quotes are stripped down and last semester’s newspapers are in the trash. And you know you’re no longer needed when you’re sitting outside during the budget, edit and news meetings, when the phone rings and you can’t answer it, and when you watch the new managing editor delete your name off the masthead.

NEWS

Department of Education to investigate University

The U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights (OCR) has opened an investigation against the University for its response toward alleged anti-Semitic harassment on campus. The Zionist Organization of America, a Jewish advocacy group, filed the complaint with the OCR on July 21. The OCR chose to initiate a full investigation on Oct. 26, according to a letter sent by the OCR to the ZOA. Specifically, the ZOA’s claim is that the University violated Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, said Susan Tuchman, director of the Center for Law and Justice of the ZOA.

Thirty-four men and women recite the Pledge of Allegiance
yesterday at a naturalization ceremony at the Eagleton Institute of
Politics on Douglass campus. The Institute’s Program on Immigration
and Democracy hosted the event.
NEWS

Immigrants take oaths at University’s first citizenship ceremony

Thirty-four women and men from 17 countries spanning five continents were naturalized yesterday, marking the end of their months-long journeys to become American citizens. The Eagleton Institute of Politics’ Program on Immigration and Democracy hosted the ceremony on Douglass campus — the first at the University. “New Jersey has 400,000 green card holders — well, it has 34 less after today — but we want to extend the resources of Rutgers to help those people move into citizenship and assume those rights and responsibilities,” said Anastasia Mann, program director.

NEWS

U. considers remobilizing grease trucks

The University’s famed grease trucks, located in Lot 8 on the College Avenue campus, have been part of a long-standing tradition on campus. But now some University officials are saying this tradition could change by next year. For several business, health and safety reasons, the University is considering making the grease trucks, which have been located in that lot for 18 years, mobile again.

Patrick Gardner, a University professor and director of the
Rutgers University Glee Club, leads a rehearsal before a
performance at St. Mark's Basilica in Venice, Italy this past
summer.
NEWS

Glee Club works to keep tradition ‘On the Banks’

There once was a time when there were no songs about Rutgers. In the late 19th century, the then-Rutgers College only had a handful of “glees” — popular drinking songs — that students would sing. When colleges across the nation began institutionalizing their respective glees into formal all-male glee clubs, or choral groups, Rutgers College soon followed suit, said Daniel Comito, a Class of 2011 alumnus who wrote his senior thesis on the University’s alma mater.

NEWS

CNN special hosts bullying victims, experts on campus

Kyle, a student in the Anoka-Hennepin, Minn., School District, was urinated on in a school bathroom. Damien, a straight student in the same district who has two gay parents and is on the gymnastics team, would often hear gay slurs when walking down the halls. Dylan, who has been called a “he-she,” felt so harassed that he chose to be home-schooled.

NEWS

Donor gives $27 million for U. chairs

The University recently received its largest donation in its 245-year history.An anonymous donor gave $27 million to the “Our Rutgers, Our Future” $1 billion foundation campaign, which will be used solely for creating 18 endowed chairs. “This is a transformative gift for Rutgers,” said Carol Herring, president of the Rutgers University Foundation, which this year has seen its biggest growth by raising $137.4 million so far.

More Articles