By Matt Mikolay

Recent Articles:

Indochine, located at 371 George St., offers Vietnamese options ranging from salads, egg rolls and spring rolls to traditional dishes like Pho Thai and Banh Mi.
FOOD

Indochine serves up classic Vietnamese cuisine ‘Pho’ you

There is nothing quite like street food. Though the city of New Brunswick seems outside the fascinating world of portable eats served out of roadside stalls, Indochine at 371 George St. has been serving up a variety of Vietnamese street food classics in a sit-down environment. Indochine’s appetizers include several types of salads, egg rolls and spring rolls.

MaxiYumm’s Creperie on Albany Street offers a wide range of sweet and savory crepes.
FOOD

MaxiYumm’s Creperie brings sweet, savory flavors to city

As a global gastronomic sensation, the crepe has transcended borders. Though the word “crepe” has its origins in the French culture, the thin pancake has enjoyed popularity all over the world — in Argentina, Germany, Japan and more. Now, the crepe is spreading to New Brunswick. MaxiYumm’s Creperie opened five months ago at 88 Albany St.

Cookie Rush, located at 176 Easton Ave., opened last December to provide baked-to-order cookies for either delivery or pickup. They offer about 20 different cookies, from chocolate chip to red velvet, as well as milkshakes and ice cream options.
FOOD

Cookie Rush delivers desserts across New Brunswick

When 2 a.m. hits, the delivery options become scarce. After a few late nights, pizza and Chinese food start to lose their luster. Fortunately, relief from the monotony of nocturnal eats has finally arrived. Cookie Rush, located at 176 Easton Ave., opened its doors last December. Specializing in baked-to-order cookies, the shop differentiates itself from typical bakeries with its late-night delivery service.

Timothy Hsu opened KBG Korean Barbeque & Grill at 6 Easton Ave. during the summer of 2011. The restaurant offers fusion Korean food.
FOOD

Fast food joint brings Korean barbeque to Easton Avenue

For most people, Korean barbecue is an infrequent indulgence, often reserved for special occasions. Few restaurants serve Korean fare at the speed of a fast food chain such as McDonald’s or Chipotle, but in New Brunswick, one restaurant is dishing out Korean barbecue on a wider scale and at a quicker pace. Timothy Hsu opened KBG Korean BBQ & Grill at 6 Easton Ave. during the summer of 2011.

KBG, Korean BBQ Grill, on Easton Avenue in New Brunswick offers extensive customization in their menu. The dish above has tofu, brown rice and a variety of vegetables.
FOOD

Few New Brunswick vendors offer vegetarian options

Americans love meat. According to the New York Times, the average American consumes about 8 ounces of meat per day — twice the global average. In such a carnivorous country, it’s easy to understand why individuals who choose to exclude meat from their diets might face difficulty finding suitable meal options. Presently, New Brunswick seems to suffer from a shortage of quality vegetarian restaurants.

The Sanctuary cheesesteak is one of many options including coffee, ice cream and quesadillas offered at Sanctuary, located on Easton Avenue. The food vendor is open until 2 a.m. Sunday through Wednesday and 4 a.m. Thursday through Saturday.
FOOD

Variety at Sanctuary provides students late-night delights

Rutgers students can be seen donning their coats and clinging to their hot chocolates and coffees for warmth as winter approaches and temperatures drop. Despite such frigid weather, I find myself unwilling to delight in these heated refreshments and instead craving the chilly bliss of ice cream. Call me crazy, but there is just something about sub-zero temperatures that make sundaes so much better.

The Rutgers Homecoming game Saturday featured its annual Wing Bowl, where Eric Reitzel, not pictured, ate 25 wings in two minutes. Competitors were given a Rutgers bib, a bottle of water and an aluminum tray filled with chicken wings.
FOOD

Competitive eating: More than a pre-game pastime

Thousands of devoted fans gathered at High Point Solutions Stadium on Busch Campus Saturday to witness the Scarlet Knights face off against the University of Houston Cougars in the Rutgers Homecoming game. Unbeknownst to many, a more unusual competition took place just outside the stadium prior to the football game. The annual Rutgers Wing Bowl was held at the R Block Party in Athletes Glen outside High Point Solutions Stadium.

The pepperoni boli is one of more than 30 bolis offered at Stuff Yer Face.
FOOD

A hearty history of strombolis at Stuff Yer Face

After Bill Washawanny graduated from the Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach, he did what most prospective pilots only dream of doing: he opened a stromboli restaurant in New Brunswick. During his time in Florida, Washawanny, founder and owner of Stuff Yer Face, became fascinated with the stromboli at a local pizzeria.

The Oreo milkshake at 25 Burgers is topped with whipped cream and a cherry, and food reviewer Matt Mikolay said it was thick, but not so thick it clogged the straw.
FOOD

25 Burgers serves diners with variety of options

When it comes to food, the hungry masses value the power of choice. Butter or margarine? Ketchup or mustard? Delivery or DiGiorno? Lately, one restaurant in New Brunswick has been granting customers the right to choose exactly how they want their hamburgers. A quick walk down the street from the Easton Avenue apartments, 25 Burgers, located at 4 Easton Ave., opened this past July.

Food reviewer Matt Mikolay created his own dish of instant ramen and vegetables.
FOOD

From authentic to instant: A look at ramen’s popularity

Few foods are worthy of being called a staple of the college population. Sure, pizza might deserve the title. Maybe coffee warrants the honor due to its invaluable assistance during those late night cramming sessions. Here at Rutgers, the Fat Sandwich is certainly a vital part of the student diet.

The Paul Bunyan at Destination Dogs features Minnesota breakfast sausages with fried potatoes, bacon, maple syrup and is topped with a fried egg.
FOOD

Destination Dogs offers pub-like atmosphere, international flavors

To many, the hot dog might seem a bit elementary. It’s a cinch, right? Pop an all-beef frank into a bun, add some ketchup and voilà! But could such a simple sausage sandwich ever be considered gourmet? Against a society whose franks frequently face a mustard-laden monotony, one restaurant in New Brunswick dares to dish out dogs a bit differently.

The resturant flaunts a vibrant color scheme.
FOOD

Hoja’s food tastes less ‘vomit-inducing’ than U. students claim

The widespread adoption of the Internet has permanently altered the way society communicates. Information is now at the average person’s fingertips, available for distribution at previously unimaginable speeds. Naturally, this technology has affected the world of food, providing a unique means through which the masses can communicate about various culinary matters.

Derrick Louie, left, a Rutgers Business School senior, and Gene Kim, right, a Rutgers alumnus, enjoy hamburgers and fries at White Rose Hamburgers on Easton Avenue.
FOOD

Back to basic Americana at White Rose Hamburgers

Few food items are as synonymous with Americana as the hamburger. The simple sandwich of ground beef nestled between two buns has effectively aligned itself with American culture, ultimately evolving into an edible icon cherished by the hungry masses.

More Articles