By Mike Kosinski

Recent Articles:

Freshman Gina Li wants to improve on a strong rookie campaign in which she went 16-5 overall and 9-1 in Big East play. She said a new recruit has the potential to positively change the team dynamic next year as RU aims to improve.
NEWS

Young team looks to build on year’s experience

With no departing players from this year’s edition of the Rutgers tennis team, the Scarlet Knights want to improve on this season’s winning record. The return of their full starting roster may be a recipe for success next year for the Knights. But Rutgers will shift around players to different positions from where they were at this year.

NEWS

Young players emerge as season concludes

The Rutgers tennis team (14-9, 8-4) finished its season this past weekend after a loss in the quarterfinal round to Marquette, 4-0, in the Big East Tournament. There were a few questions about this Scarlet Knights team entering the season, as the Knights possessed a young team.

NEWS

RU?falls short in Big East tourney

The Rutgers tennis team finished their season this weekend at the Big East Championships after losses to Louisville and Marquette. The Scarlet Knights would see a familiar opponent Saturday in No. 8-seeded Marquette. Rutgers beat Marquette, 5-2, earlier in the season. Marquette would surprise the Knights in this match, sweeping them with a score of 4-0.

Freshman Gina Li delivered a No. 2 singles victory yesterday against St. John’s Diamond Adams, 6-2, 6-3.
NEWS

Knights earn tournament win against St. John’s

The Rutgers tennis team opened up the Big East Championship with a 4-2 victory against St. John’s. The match was closer than the Scarlet Knights wanted it to be, but they were able to fight through to move the team into the next round of tournament play.

NEWS

Tennis: RU earns sixth seed in Big East tourney

The Rutgers tennis team was named the No. 6 seed for the Big East Championships after the seedings yesterday were announced. The Scarlet Knights will open the tournament against No. 11 seeded St. John’s. “We were pretty happy with getting the sixth seed and thought it was fair,” said freshman Gina Li.

Junior Stefania Balasa said that Rutgers has a chance to do well in the Big East Championships, which take place April 18-21. She is currently 7-3 this season in singles action and 4-1 in Big East play.
NEWS

Rutgers hopes for high seed as playoffs loom

After the Rutgers tennis team’s regular season concluded with Saturday’s 7-0 win against Georgetown, the Scarlet Knights shifted their focus to the postseason. The Big East Championships will take place from April 18-21 in Tampa, hosted by South Florida. Rutgers finished its regular season with a 13-7 overall record and a 7-3 record in conference play.

Freshman Gina Li was one of three players to sweep her opponents in singles play. Li defeated Georgetown’s Kelly Comolli, 6-4, 6-4, in No. 2 singles action.
NEWS

Playoff push ends in sweep

The Rutgers tennis team finished its regular season Saturday with a dominant victory against Georgetown. The Scarlet Knights swept the Hoyas, 7-0, in an important Big East match in Washington, D.C. Rutgers understood the strong implications of this match on its final seeding in the Big East Championships, and the Knights were focused on playing a competitive match going in.

Freshman Gina Li grabbed her 14th singles match win Wednesday against Seton Hall. She lost only one game in her singles matchup against the Pirates.
NEWS

Tennis: RU aims to improve Big East seeding with win

The Rutgers tennis team will conclude its regular season tomorrow in Washington, D.C., against Georgetown. The Scarlet Knights (12-7, 6-2) enter with a 6-1 victory yesterday against Seton Hall. They will need another strong team performance in order to defeat the Hoyas (14-4, 3-2). “We are playing good tennis and we’re looking forward to the challenge against Georgetown,” said head coach Ben Bucca.

NEWS

Tennis: Knights defeat SHU with doubles play

The Rutgers tennis team finished its home schedule yesterday with a 6-1 victory against rival Seton Hall. It was a match the Scarlet Knights (12-7, 4-2) needed to win after a loss to Syracuse in their last match. “It is always a great feeling to win against Seton Hall.” said head coach Benjamin Bucca. Rutgers dropped its first singles match, but the team controlled the pace for the rest time on the court.

NEWS

Tennis: Rival Pirates round out home schedule

The Rutgers tennis team takes on rival Seton Hall at home today in what will be the second of back-to-back home games for the Scarlet Knights (11-7, 5-2). Rutgers will attempt to rebound from a loss to Syracuse on Sunday in its last match. It will be the third game during the Knights’ important four-game Big East schedule to end the regular season. Rutgers will look for motivation in its last home game of the season, and the Knights know how crucial their last two conference matches can be.

NEWS

Tennis: Rutgers drops home loss to Syracuse

Syracuse defeated the Rutgers women’s tennis team Sunday, 6-1. The Scarlet Knights (11-7, 5-2) competed well in matches against the Orange (10-7, 6-1), but it was not enough for the win. It was a Big East matchup, which made the stakes higher for both teams. Rutgers dropped to 5-2 in conference play on the season, while Syracuse improved to 6-1. The Knights’ only point in the contest was in singles play. Freshman Mariam Zein took home a victory in the No. 5 singles match, 6-2, 4-6, 11-9.

NEWS

Tennis: RU begins push for postseason

The Rutgers tennis team begins its biggest stretch of the season today when it travels to Queens to face Big East Conference opponent St. John’s. The Scarlet Knights (10-6, 4-2) are coming off a loss in their last match. Rutgers’ most recent loss came to a Yale team Saturday that is one of the strongest in the country. The Knights look to build off the high level of play that took place during that match.

Junior Vanessa Petrini and Rutgers enter a four-game stretch that will decide the Knights’ seed in the?Big East Tournament.
NEWS

Tennis: RU aims to improve seed in last four events

The Rutgers tennis team is getting ready to enter their biggest stretch of the season this week. The Scarlet Knights have four Big East matches in a row to finish the year before the Big East Championships. The Knights begin the conference stretch Thursday against St. John’s — followed by two home matches against Syracuse and Seton Hall. Rutgers finishes the regular season away against Georgetown.

NEWS

Tennis: RU struggles before conference action

Yale defeated the Rutgers tennis team Saturday with a score of 6-1. The Scarlet Knights (10-6) will go into the final portion of their season with four straight Big East matchups. The Knights knew this would be a difficult matchup, and it proved to be exactly that. Yale won all three doubles matches early on and followed by winning five of the six singles matches on its way to the victory. Rutgers gained its only point for the match from a singles victory by junior Stefania Balasa.

NEWS

Rutgers competes in first meet of spring season

The Rutgers women’s track and field team will compete in Tampa, Fla. tomorrow at the Bulls Invitational. This is the first meet of the spring season for the Scarlet Knights. There are a few transitions the team will need to make transitioning from the winter season. Some of the differences the Knights will have to deal with are the overall size of the track and the weather conditions outdoors, as opposed to the comforts of the practice bubble. These differences should not be difficult for Rutgers to adjust to.

More Articles