By Nick Jannarone

Recent Articles:

Sophomore Lindsey Kayati said that the team has worked hard to obtain a good conference record. A victory against the Huskies would push Rutgers to a 3-1 record in conference play.
NEWS

RU aims to improve AAC record against UConn

The Rutgers tennis team will travel today to face the struggling Connecticut Huskies. The Huskies (5-10, 0-3) have won three of their last five, but have yet to put together a consistent run to solidify their AAC tournament seed. Their struggles have been in conference play as they have yet to beat an AAC opponent.

NEWS

Knights thrive from senior co-captain’s impressive play

Senior co-captain Vanessa Petrini has proven to be a dynamic player for the Rutgers tennis team. Her 10-5 singles record thus far this season speaks for itself. Her success did not happen overnight, though. “I’ve really developed a stronger play strategy this season with my coaches, and it’s definitely stuck with me,” Petrini said. “My attitude has changed from last season too. The work I’ve put in has contributed to my successful play without a doubt.”

Senior Vanessa Petrini said Rutgers’ confidence and morale is high after going 2-1 in New Orleans over the spring recess. Rutgers will play Temple after improving to 9-4 on the season.
NEWS

Rutgers hosts first outdoor match of season

Following a successful three-match set in New Orleans, the Rutgers tennis team returns home to face fellow AAC rival Temple tomorrow, followed by Fordham on Sunday. Over spring break, the Scarlet Knights went 2-1 in “The Big Easy,” defeating Tulane and Southern Methodist while falling to Southeastern Louisiana. The solid trip resulted in a 9-4 overall record for Rutgers as it gets back into conference play against the Owls.

NEWS

Singles play highlights win after slow start

A fourth-straight victory propelled the Rutgers tennis team to a 7-3 record on the season. The Scarlet Knights (7-3) outlasted Delaware by a score of 6-1 yesterday at the East Brunswick Racquet Club. Things did not look optimistic early for the Knights as they got off to a poor start by losing their first doubles match. “We really started off slow and lacked energy in doubles,” said head coach Ben Bucca.

Senior Vanessa Petrini credited the Knights’ aggressive strategy in doubles matches for the team’s three-game winning streak.
NEWS

Doubles pairings prove key to team’s winning streak

The Rutgers tennis team earned a decisive 6-1 victory against Binghamton (2-6) on Friday at the East Brunswick Racquet Club. A three-game winning streak gives the Scarlet Knights an impressive 6-3 record as they begin the stretch run of the season. Rutgers started off hot by dominating the doubles matches. Head coach Ben Bucca said he made some adjustments after its 6-1 loss Feb. 21 to Louisville, and it has made a big difference considering the Knights have not lost since that match.

NEWS

Advantage at home aids in preparation for unfamiliar foe

The Binghamton Bearcats are an unfamiliar foe for the Rutgers tennis team, as the two teams have not played each other in four seasons. Binghamton (2-5) travels to play the Scarlet Knights (5-3, 1-1) tomorrow at 1 p.m. at the East Brunswick Racquet Club. Although their opponent is an unknown, the Knights do know that they have success when playing at home.

Senior Vanessa Petrini won her singles match Saturday 6-2, 6-7, 6-4, in the Knights’ 4-3 victory over Cornell.
NEWS

Rutgers tops first Ivy league school

Rounding out their six-match road trip, the Rutgers tennis team defeated Cornell on Saturday afternoon, 4-3, in Ithaca, N.Y. It was the Scarlet Knights’ second consecutive 4-3 victory, as they beat Cincinnati by the same score Feb. 23. The Scarlet Knights (5-3, 1-1) swept all three of their doubles matches led by the pairings of senior Vanessa Petrini and sophomore Lindsey Kayati, junior Lindsay Balsamo and sophomore Mariam Zein and senior Stefania Balasa and sophomore Gina Li.

Junior Lindsay Balsamo said the Knights need to focus on improving issues they struggled with last weekend, where they went 1-1. Balsamo is 2-1 on the season in singles competition.
NEWS

Knights desire marquee win against Ivy League opponent

With a tough matchup against Cornell on the horizon, the Rutgers tennis team (4-3, 1-1) will try to make some adjustments this week in practice to prepare for tomorrow’s match in Ithaca, N.Y. “We’ve spent a lot of time focusing on the things that we struggled with last weekend,” said junior Lindsay Balsamo. “This is definitely a match we would like to win.”

NEWS

Strong singles play leads to road win

A string of strong performances lifted the Rutgers tennis team to a hard-fought road victory Sunday at AAC rival Cincinnati, 4-3. The win came two days after the Scarlet Knights’ (4-3, 1-1) lost a tough match against Louisville, 6-1. Sophomore Lindsey Kayati holds the team best for a singles matches after she improved to 6-1 following a strong win against Cincinnati’s Katya Bure by a score of 6-1, 6-3.

NEWS

Knights aim to bounce back on weekend trip

While a weekend filled with matches is nothing out of the ordinary for the Rutgers tennis team, this weekend features some unique challenges. For one, it must travel to play Louisville and Cincinnati, which are not exactly a short drive away. Because of this, the Scarlet Knights left Thursday before their Friday match.

NEWS

Rutgers aims to end Tigers’ win streak

A 4-3 record from the opposing Princeton Tigers normally would not point toward a particularly tough match today in Princeton, N.J. But when that team has beaten the Rutgers tennis team in 11 consecutive meetings, that is an obvious trend that the Scarlet Knights hope to end. “Princeton is extremely strong in all facets of the game,” said head coach Ben Bucca.

Junior Lindsay Balsamo lost the second doubles match Sunday against Penn, but rebounded well by winning her singles match.
NEWS

RU upsets Black Knights, sweeps singles matches

The Rutgers tennis team delivered a 6-0 upset victory against Army on Sunday in West Point, N.Y., which was the first loss of the season for the Black Knights. The Scarlet Knights improved their record to 3-1 on the season while Army dropped to 6-1. Rutgers came out of the gate firing as it won two out of the three doubles matches before winning five of six singles matches, with one ending in a no decision.

Senior Vanessa Petrini lost a competitive doubles match with a 9-7 tiebreaker. Petrini was paired with freshman Farris Cunningham in the loss to Penn on Sunday.
NEWS

Knights fall to Penn, look to rebound in training

The Rutgers tennis team lost its match Sunday in Philadelphia, 6-1, against Penn. The score was not indicative of how the Scarlet Knights played, as their matches were competitive. But in the end, they came up short. “Penn is a very accomplished team with strong players, and they gave us a tough match,” said head coach Ben Bucca.

More Articles