By Patrick Lanni

Recent Articles:

Junior midfielder Stephanie Anderson scans the field yesterday in Rutgers’ win.
NEWS

RU?survives scare from visiting SJU

Despite a late charge from St. Joseph’s, the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team held on long enough to emerge with an 8-7 victory last night against the Hawks at the RU Turf Field. With little more than five minutes remaining, the Scarlet Knights’ lead stood at four goals, but four minutes later, the Hawks cut the lead down to one. The St. Joe’s attack strategy was not quick-hitting, but rather deliberate, which helped lead to the late charge.

NEWS

Knights take aim at early scoring runs

Saturday’s 13-7 win against Monmouth provided the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team with not only a satisfying second-half performance, but also a blueprint for today’s game against St. Joseph’s (4-4). Using Monmouth as a backdrop, head coach Laura Brand-Sias expects to follow a game plan similar to the one Monmouth used to edge St. Joe’s, 10-9, on Feb. 28 in Philadelphia.

Junior attack Annie McGinley registered three goals and an assist  Saturday in the Knights’ win against visiting Monmouth.
NEWS

Rutgers overcomes first half lapse in home win

The Rutgers women’s lacrosse team put together a timely three-goal run halfway through the first period Saturday, giving it a spark against in-state foe Monmouth in its 13-7 victory. But the two-goal lead at the break was not satisfying for head coach Laura Brand-Sias or the squad. “We were playing terribly,” said junior attack Annie McGinley of the team’s first half performance.

NEWS

Knights face second straight ranked foe

The Rutgers women’s lacrosse team continues to embrace the underdog role as it prepares for Saturday’s matchup against No. 7 Pennsylvania.Flying under the radar with an 0-2 record, the Scarlet Knights patched together their first complete game one week ago, handing No. 8 Princeton its first loss of the season.Now, with their sights set on the Quakers (1-1), the Knights (1-2) want to play spoiler once more.

Sophomore Lauren Sbrilli and two other midfielders combined for seven goals in the Knights’ upset of No. 8 Prinecton.
NEWS

Overtime goal brings momentum to midfielder

To earn its first win of the season Wednesday, the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team needed to hold Princeton’s attack long enough in the sudden victory period for the offense to strike. The defense held firm as sophomore midfielder Lauren Sbrilli netted the game-winner with 4:40 remaining in the second overtime period to cap the Scarlet Knights’ 11-10 upset win against the No. 8 Tigers.

Sophomore midfielder Lauren Sbrilli handles the ball?Saturday against Cornell. Sbrilli scored 13 goals last season.
NEWS

Matchup with Princeton tests RU’s stamina

The Rutgers women’s lacrosse team hits the road for a three-game stretch today, hoping to leave behind its second-half struggles in Piscataway. Dropping their first two games against Temple and Cornell by one-goal margins, the Scarlet Knights (0-2) want a fresh start at Princeton. “We have to just shrug off the last two games,” said head coach Laura Brand-Sias. “They’re over and done with."

Sophomore midfielder Lauren Sbrilli runs downfield Saturday in the Knights’ loss to Cornell. Sbrilli scored two goals.
NEWS

Final-minute goal sinks Rutgers

With less than four minutes remaining and the score tied at 7, junior midfielder Stephanie Anderson forced a timely turnover that positioned the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team well against visiting Cornell. But the Scarlet Knights failed in transition, and after back-and-forth play, the pressure fell on the defensive unit to halt a final Cornell attack. The squad could not blank the Big Red in the closing minute as Cornell’s Olivia Knotts fired a goal past junior goalkeeper Lily Kalata with 52 seconds remaining, the final one in an 8-7 Rutgers loss.

Senior midfielder Ali?Steinberg drives against a Temple defender Wednesday in a season-opening loss. Steinberg had three goals.
NEWS

Senior faces sister in Cornell matchup

The Rutgers women’s lacrosse team welcomes Ivy League foe Cornell for tomorrow’s matchup at the RU Turf Field. The Big Red visit Piscataway with a blank record, but they also do so with a first-team All-Ivy and second-team All-Region attack. Cornell’s heralded senior captain led her squad in goals and points a season ago, and returns as the Big Red’s go-to scorer. But the Scarlet Knights (0-1) also have an All-Big East and All-Region player in senior midfielder Ali Steinberg.

Senior midfielder Ali?Steinberg looks to attack yesterday in the Knights’ 12-11 loss to Temple.?Steinberg scored three goals.
NEWS

Knights drop season opener to Owls in last minutes

The Rutgers women’s lacrosse team surrendered six straight goals in the second half yesterday, allowing Temple to erase a five-goal deficit. Owls midfielder Stephanie Markunas put the go-ahead goal past junior goalkeeper Lily Kalata with 3:31 left to play, giving them the final edge, 12-11. The Scarlet Knights could not find the late equalizer, as their last offensive possession ended up in the stick of Temple goalie Tess Bishop.

Senior attack Lindsey Watts returns as the Knights’ leading scorer after tallying 24 goals last season and finishing fifth on the team in points. Watts and the Knights open their 2012 campaign today at the RU?Turf Field against Temple, a team they beat in three consecutive matchups.
NEWS

Knights hope to set tone for season in opener

The Rutgers women’s lacrosse team wants to prove today in its 3 p.m. season opener against Temple that it can be dominant. “Our word for this game is ‘dominate,’” said senior attack Lindsey Watts. “We really just want to go out there, beat [Temple], dominate and execute everything we’ve worked on in practice.”  Watts proved to be the difference in last season’s game against the Owls, notching three goals in the Scarlet Knights’ 11-10 win.

NEWS

Knights rest, train for Big East meet

The Rutgers men’s track and field team will divide this weekend. Athletes who have not reached the Big East Championship qualifying standards or need an extra meet to tune up their technique will compete in Saturday’s Virginia Duals. Those not competing will train through the weekend in preparation for the season’s biggest meet — the Big East Championships. “This weekend is the weekend before the Big East Championships,” said redshirt junior Adam Bergo.

NEWS

Rookie jumper experiences early success

The Rutgers men’s track and field team’s redshirt freshman, Corey Crawford, is in good company in the New Jersey high school record books.The Indian Hills High School product’s leap of 25 feet, 1 half-inch in the long jump ranks second all-time in the state behind former Olympic standout Carl Lewis.Before Lewis won his record 10 Olympic medals, he was a standout athlete at Willingboro High School.

NEWS

Younger returns, captures 500-meter title

All-American sprinter Aaron Younger returned to the Rutgers men’s track and field team this weekend at Notre Dame’s Meyo Invitational, earning the Scarlet Knights’ lone victory in the meet. After resting the first five meets of the season, the senior from Franklinville, N.J., returned to action for the two-day meet in South Bend, Ind., to compete against some of the nation’s best athletes.

Redshirt junior jumper Adam Bergo faces a tough test tomorrow in
Mississippi’s Ricky Robertson, an All-American high jumper.
NEWS

Power schools await Knights at ND

The Rutgers men’s track and field team put together back-to-back team titles the past two weekends, earning wins at Navy and the Armory Track and Field Center in the Bronx for the Metropolitan Championships. The Scarlet Knights’ effort on the track proved successful, but that success came against non-power conference schools like Rhode Island, Iona, Wagner and Fairleigh Dickinson.

Sophomore Hamer Farag runs a middle distance event, but his
sprinter teammates shined at the Metropolitan Championships.
NEWS

Sweep of sprint event spurs RU’s confidence

Finishing in the top-three places in a championship meet is an accomplishment in itself. Sweeping all three places comes as an even taller task. But the Rutgers men’s track and field team’s sprinters pulled off the feat Saturday at the Metropolitan Championships, earning 24 points toward the team’s winning total. Senior sprinter Steve Werner led the charge in the 200-meter dash, finishing in his season-best time of 22.09.

NEWS

Knights take meet with six first-place finishes

The Rutgers men’s track and field team captured its second consecutive team title Saturday, scoring 164 points at the Metropolitan Championships. Six first-place finishes at the Armory Track and Field Center in the Bronx paced the Scarlet Knights past runner-up Manhattan by more than 40 points. A top-three sweep in the 200-meter dash positioned the Knights with 24 points, as senior Steve Werner led the charge with a time of 22.09.

Senior Tyrone Putman transitioned to high jumping this season
after spending most of his career as a sprinter. Putman also earned
a stint with the Rutgers football team, playing in the Scarlet
Knights’ 2010 spring game. But he ultimately opted for track and
field, teaming up with junior high jumper Adam Bergo in the
process.
NEWS

Pair of high jumpers improve qualifications for NCAA’s

Redshirt junior Adam Bergo qualified for the NCAA Championships as a high jumper last spring, earning All-American honors in the process. The Plainfield, N.J. native excelled in another event this season — the triple jump. Undefeated in three meets, Bergo bettered his career-best in the event by more than a foot. With wins in his past three tries, there was a common theme for the junior jumper: his teammate Tyrone Putman.  “The competition with Tyrone has been amazing,” Bergo said.

NEWS

Junior’s first-place marks lead to Rutgers win

The Rutgers men’s track and field team totaled 182 points Saturday en route to a first-place finish in its quad meet at the Naval Academy. The Scarlet Knights topped host and runner up Midshipmen by 26 points, and bested Rhode Island and Temple by 42 and 70 points, respectively. Senior Adam Bergo led the scoring effort with two first-place finishes in the high jump and triple jump, and added a second-place finish in the long jump, tallying 25 points.

NEWS

Knights place second, head coach earns extension

The Rutgers men’s track and field team emerged from the Night at the Armory meet Saturday as a leader among 14 local schools. The Scarlet Knights finished second behind Princeton, earning115 points with limited competitors. “We scored a lot of points,” said head coach Mike Mulqueen. “To be honest, we didn’t compete to compete.” Although the Knights did not focus on their score, they found success in multiple events, including the “bright spot” of the meet, according to Mulqueen — the triple jump.

NEWS

Trio of first-place finishes paces RU at Princeton Invite

The Rutgers men’s track and field team began its 2011-2012 indoor season Saturday with three first-place finishes at Princeton’s New Year’s Invitational. Senior Adam Bergo claimed two of the top finishes, earning victories in the high jump and triple jump for the Scarlet Knights. Clearing 6 feet, 10.75 inches in the high jump, Bergo felt satisfied with his first place jump, but was not 100 percent sold on his performance.

More Articles