By Richard Conte

Recent Articles:

NEWS

Programs at U. teach students to drink responsibly

In response to growing concerns on the misuse of alcohol on college campuses, several University organizations have taken measures to ensure student safety. School of Environmental and Biological Sciences professor Barbara Turpin and Cook campus Dean of Students Michelle Jefferson hold “Responsible Drinking Happy Hour” every month, an event that allows anyone of legal drinking age with a valid ID to drink safely.

The University’s Chapter of the New Jersey Public Health Association host a forum last night about affordable health care.
NEWS

NJ?Public Health panel looks into Obamacare

One-fifth of the U.S. population has no health insurance coverage, but the Affordable Care Act could provide them with a low-cost alternative, said Alan Monheit, a research professor at the University’s Center for State Health Policy, last night during a panel discussion. Panelists at “The Future of Health Care Reform — The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and the 2012 Presidential Election,” sponsored by the University’s chapter of the New Jersey Public Health Association, looked at the act critically in terms of how it would affect U.S. citizens.

NEWS

DOTS encourages bicycling in open forum

Students expressed their concerns about the University’s transportation system last night at a forum at the Rutgers Student Center on the College Avenue campus. Department of Transportation Services administrators, including director Jack Molenaar, fielded questions about existing problems and proposed changes to the system. “We really want to concentrate on making the biking system more simple,” he said.

NEWS

Club sport reaches championship tournament

While many University students are taking a break from school next week, the University Cricket Club will be fighting for a National Championship. The club sport is sending a team of 13 University students to the American College Cricket Spring Break Championship tournament from March 14-18. Many teams from universities around the country will also be there, making the field very competitive, said Nisarg Chokshi, captain and president of the team.

NEWS

City activists seek answers to street violence

In an attempt to stop local street violence, residents are teaming up with New Brunswick authorities to make the city streets safer through various efforts.David Harris, executive director of the Greater New Brunswick Daycare Council, said community leaders and activists in New Brunswick are exploring different ways to combat criminal activity. The key, he said, is to find and attack the source of the problem.

Members of Rutgers United Students Against Sweatshops and New Labor, an organization that tries to improve working conditions in Latin America, discuss labor conditions yesterday at Trayes Hall in the Douglass Campus Center.
NEWS

USAS panel shares experiences with sweatshops in NJ, globally

Students were offered the opportunity to learn that sweatshops are on the rise because of globalization through “Sweatshops in the Global Economy” last night at Trayes Hall in the Douglass Campus Center. Rutgers United Students Against Sweatshops organized the event, with the goal of educating students on upholding workers’ welfare, said Anna Barcy, a member of RUSAS.

Although the grease trucks are known for their fat sandwiches,
the trucks also have salads, soups and vegetarian options for under
$7. But?many students come to the grease trucks for the sandwiches,
said Ahmed Ahmed, the manager of RU Hungry.
FOOD

Campus food vendors give range of choices

There are more than 20 eateries on campus that offer a wide range of foods, but finding a meal that is both healthy and inexpensive could prove difficult for some students. Among food vendors on campus, those with higher fat and caloric content are generally cheaper than those with lower caloric content. For example, an Au Bon Pain chicken cobb salad with avocado has 410 calories, 24 grams of fat and 10 grams of saturated fat, according to the restaurant’s website.

Matt Ferguson, the assistant director of University Student
Life, dulls three razors as he gets his beard cut while filming his
cover video of David Guetta and Nicki Minaj’s single “Turn Me On.”
This is the first time in five years Ferguson dediced to go
clean-shaven.
NEWS

U. instructor experiences Internet fame

One man, six different faces and six different personas make a recipe for YouTube success. This is the case for Matt Ferguson, whose recent music video interpretation of David Guetta and Nicki Minaj’s hit single “Turn Me On” garnered more than 670,000 views online. Ferguson, the assistant director of Student Life at the University, posted the video on Feb. 8 and did not expect the video to get so many views less than a week after he posted it.

Deans Tim Grimm and Eve Sachs waltz their way through the
College Avenue Gym to “When Winter Comes” Monday during “Dancing
with the Deans.”
NEWS

Deans dance off in charity competition

Administrators and students took their dance skills to the stage together Monday at the College Avenue Gym, raising money for students who are have insufficient funds to purchase nutritious food. Eighteen couples of deans and students competed in four categories of dance — waltz, tango, swing and salsa.

Nir Naaman, member of the Roy Assaf and Nir Naaman Quartet, play
the saxophone Wednesday at the Hyatt Hotel in an event hosted by
the New Brunswick Jazz Project.
NEWS

Ongoing music project aims to keep city jazz scene alive

Despite the challenges, founders of the New Brunswick Jazz Project hope to further integrate jazz into the New Brunswick’s busy culture.The NBJP was started to bring live jazz music to Central Jersey, said Virginia DeBerry, the project’s co-founder.“People had to go to North Jersey or New York to hear live jazz,” she said. “We’re trying to add jazz to the list of reasons people come to New Brunswick.”

NEWS

Bus driver offers inspiration, ideas to student riders

As students hop on the LX bus traveling between the College Avenue and Livingston campuses, a welcoming voice greets them, reminding them they are one thought away from greatness. That voice belongs to retired Newark firefighter and now University bus driver Stan McNeil, whose words have become a topic of discussion among students at the University. Videos of McNeil’s motivational speeches posted to social media websites have become popular among students, and a Facebook fan page was created in his honor.

NEWS

Local bars expect large turnouts for Super Bowl Sunday

Bar and restaurant employees across New Brunswick have started preparations for this year’s Super Bowl, with hopes that local residents will come out Sunday to watch the New England Patriots take on the New York Giants. The Olive Branch, located on 37 Bartlett St., originally planned to allow only private gatherings for the game. However, when a New York team officially qualified for the event, the decision was made to open the doors to all patrons, said Albert Adjei, Olive Branch manager.

NEWS

Faculty evaluate grades for plans post-graduation

Students stress about their GPAs and reasonably so. Professional schools, graduate schools and some jobs factor in GPA when looking at college graduates. The impact of having a withdraw, D grade or failure on a transcript varies from student-to-student based on the student’s major and their post-graduation plans, said Julie Traxler, assistant dean and director of first-year advising for the School of Arts and Sciences.

NEWS

Facebook slightly affects student grades, study says

Critics of Facebook — most notably skeptics in academia — have long questioned the social networking site’s effects on students’ grades. But a 2011 study found that Facebook affects college students’ grades little, if at all. “Using Facebook in and of itself is not detrimental to an academic outcome such as GPA, or a time on task outcome, like time spent studying,” said researcher Reynol Junco, a professor in the Department of Academic Development and Counseling at Lock Haven University in Pennsylanvia.

University experts say New Jersey’s location put the state at
risk for outbreak. Although the University did not report any
bedbug infestations, it has experienced some isolated cases on
campuses.
NEWS

State’s location increases risk of bedbug infestation

Nestled between two major cities where bedbug infestations are common, New Jersey residents are also experiencing bedbugs infestations. A 2011 Terminix ranking of the most bedbug-infested U.S. cities lists New York City as first in the nation and Philadelphia as fifth. University experts said the proximity to these cities puts New Jersey at higher risk. “New Jersey has more cases than most other states due to the high population density, urbanization and the presence of large numbers of multi-unit dwellings,” said Changlu Wang, an assistant extension specialist in the Department of Entomology.

NEWS

Pending bill to create budget transparency

New Jersey residents may soon be able to view the budget of any public university in the state, pending a bill’s passage in the N.J. legislature. The bill would require “a public institution of higher education [to] post by Aug. 15 of each year its budget for the upcoming academic year,” according to the bill. “The goal of this bill is to increase transparency between public universities and the citizens of New Jersey,” said Sen. Joseph Vitale, D-19.

NEWS

Initiative aims to shed light on campus bias

Some students may see the phrase “Stop Hate. Report Bias” throughout the campus on T-shirts, buttons, bookmarks and banners in the dining halls and student centers. The words serve as the slogan for the Bias Prevention and Awareness Campaign that aims to raise awareness of biases at the University. “The committee encourages people to report when they see any acts of bias occur,” said Rabbi Esther Reed, co-chairperson of the Bias Prevention and Education Committee, which leads the initiative.

School of Arts and Sciences sophomore Dimple Shah performs
Friday to celebrate the Hindu festival, Navaratri.
NEWS

U., community dances night away at garba

Dressed in colorful, traditional Indian garments, members of the University and local communities danced in celebration of a Hindu holiday. About 450 people filled the Livingston Recreation Center on Friday night for the Association of Indians at Rutgers annual three-hour-long Garba dance event, “Raas Ki Raat."

More Articles