By Sean Stewart

Recent Articles:

Junior faceoff specialist Joe Nardella was 19-for-33 in faceoffs on Wednesday against St. John’s. Nardella will be vital for the Knights against Princeton.
NEWS

Rutgers aims to hoist cup over rival

The last time the Rutgers men’s lacrosse team ended a two-game losing skid this year, it went on a four-game winning streak — the longest streak under head coach Brian Brecht. The Scarlet Knights (7-4, 2-2) defeated then-No. 20 Army, Monmouth, Richmond and Big East rival Providence during that period.With a matchup at No. 19 in-state rival Princeton tomorrow night, a repeat of that winning streak may be hard to replicate.

Junior faceoff specialist Joe Nardella said the Knights will be looking to enact some revenge following their 20-13 road defeat at St. John’s last season.
NEWS

Coach leans on seniors for vital home match against St. John’s

At the end of the Rutgers men’s lacrosse team’s first practice since its 14-13 loss to Marquette Saturday, head coach Brian Brecht pulled aside his senior players for a private discussion. His message was simple. To succeed in April, the seniors will have to take charge. It starts with a matchup tonight against Big East rivals St. John’s underneath the lights at High Point Solutions Stadium.

Senior co-captain Vanessa Petrini won the top singles match 6-2, 7-7 (2) against Fordham at the Atlantic Club yesterday.
NEWS

Rutgers extends win streak to three games at Atlantic Club

Riding a three-match winning streak, the Rutgers tennis team extended it four wins with its 5-2 victory yesterday over Fordham at the Atlantic Club in Manalapan, N.J. The Scarlet Knights (11-4, 2-1) are now 5-0 in home matches this season and played under an alternate simultaneous format where the teams played one doubles match worth two points and five singles matches worth one point.

Senior attacker Scott Klimchak runs from a Marquette defender in Saturday’s 14-13 loss at High Point Solutions Stadium. Klimchak led the Knights with four goals, his seventh three-goal performance of the season. The performance raises the Clark, N.J., native’s total to 29 goals this season.
NEWS

Last minute goal thwarts Rutgers’ late surge

Crouched over with his hands on his knees and head dropped glaring at the turf of High Point Solutions Stadium, sophomore goalkeeper Kris Alleyne’s dejected expression perfectly illustrated the mood of the Rutgers men’s lacrosse team following its 14-13 defeat Saturday to Marquette. Trailing by two goals with 1:28 remaining in the fourth quarter, the Scarlet Knights (6-4, 1-2) managed to tie the game in 41 seconds thanks to back-to-back faceoff wins from junior faceoff specialist Joe Nardella.

Freshman attack Christian Trasolini scored a career-high four goals last Saturday against Denver. Trasolini ranks second on team in points and goals.
NEWS

Eagles offer chance at Big East win

At the start of the season, the Rutgers men’s lacrosse teams’ goals were simple — have a winning record, change one-goal losses into one-goal wins, get to the Big East Tournament and qualify for the NCAAs. Now past the midway point of the season, the Scarlet Knights (6-3, 1-1) appear to be on track in accomplishing those goals.

Diver Nicole Scott earned an Honorable Mention All-American in the NCAA Swimming and Driving Championships.
NEWS

Rutgers diver earns All-American status

As if sending two athletes to the NCAAs was not enough of an accomplishment for the Rutgers swimming and diving team, senior diver Nicole Scott earning All-American honors certainly exceeded expectations.The Toronto native was named an Honorable Mention All-American for advancing to the finals of the platform event at the 2014 NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships last Saturday in Minneapolis.

NEWS

Depth gives Rutgers chance at ranking

Winners of four straight games, the Rutgers men’s lacrosse team entered last Saturday’s road contest against now-No. 5 Denver in unchartered territory.Sitting just outside the top 20 according to NCAA.com, a victory would have vaulted the Scarlet Knights to their first top-20 ranking under third-year head coach Brian Brecht. While the Knights (6-3, 1-1) fell to the Pioneers (7-2, 1-0), 17-11, Rutgers still find itself on the brink of a national ranking.

Junior guard Jerome Seagears, right, works through Louisville guard Russ Smith. Seagears started the game, but he only played nine minutes. He recorded one assist and no points.
NEWS

Rutgers advances in AACs despite guard’s high scoring

MEMPHIS — Following the Rutgers men’s basketball team’s 72-68 victory over South Florida last night, the Scarlet Knights finished the year 3-0 against the Bulls for the season. While the Knights proved they have USF’s number this season, the same could be said for Bulls forward Victor Rudd. USF’s leading scorer once again put up huge numbers against Rutgers, collecting 22 points to lead his team.

NEWS

Knights youth struggles against Louisville's high-pressure defense

MEMPHIS — After a successful start to their AAC Tournament run defeating South Florida for the third time this season, it appeared that the Rutgers men’s basketball team finally hit its stride. After the first half in the Scarlet Knights’ 92-31 drubbing by No. 5 Louisville, all of Rutgers’ recent promise quickly vanished.

Senior midfielder Nick DePaolera is tied for first on the team with seven assists. DePaolera said having freshmen contribute has been key to the Knights’ success.
NEWS

New additions spark offense

Returning 97 percent of its offensive production from last year, the Rutgers men’s lacrosse team entered 2014 with high hopes in the attacking end. The Scarlet Knights (4-2) have impressed so far, scoring 83 goals in just six games. The total is the most since Rutgers’ 1998 squad scored 86 goals through six matches.

Freshman attacker Connor Murphy made his first-career start with the Knights against Monmouth on Saturday, scoring four goals and adding three assists. His total led the team with seven points.
NEWS

Offense, strong start lead Knights to big victory

With the lights of High Point Solutions Stadium shining brightly over the Rutgers men’s lacrosse team Saturday night, the stage was set for the Scarlet Knights to leave a lasting impression on their new home field. Senior attacker Scott Klimchak set himself up for a big game following his four-goal heroics against No. 20 Army last Tuesday. But freshman attacker Connor Murphy’s offensive display stole the spotlight.

Senior defender Nicholas Contino said it does not matter who the Knights play as long as they focus on their own game. Rutgers enters the match coming off a 9-8 overtime win on Tuesday against No. 20 Army.
NEWS

Matchup provides prospect for new rival

When it comes to college athletics, few programs have a longer history than Rutgers. The Scarlet Knights are among the first American institutions to engage in intercollegiate athletics, participating in their first sporting event in 1866. While Rutgers is often celebrated for being the birthplace of college football, the men’s lacrosse program also carries some deep roots.

Junior guard Jerome Seagears drives to the basket for 2 of his 5 points in the game. Seagears led the Knights with four assists.
NEWS

Junior thrives with extended minutes against South Florida

While junior forward Kadeem Jack and senior forward J.J. Moore were essential to the Rutgers men’s basketball team’s 74-73 victory Saturday against South Florida, the Scarlet Knights got an added boost from an unlikely source. Junior guard Jerome Seagears, who played a combined 12 minutes in his last two games, needed just 13 minutes to spark the Knights’ comeback.

NEWS

Stony Brook denies late comeback run

For 45 minutes, the Rutgers men’s lacrosse team did a good job coping with the loss of junior faceoff specialist Joe Nardella — until the fourth quarter started. The Scarlet Knights (2-2) entered the fourth quarter tied at six with Stony Brook. What happened next once again exposed the Knights’ inability to finish out games without their star faceoff player.

Senior defender Andrew Parrilla and Rutgers’ defense will look to rebound after conceding 19 goals against No. 4 Virginia in its loss last Saturday. The Knights conceded just five goals in each of their first two games.
NEWS

Knights aim to limit mistakes at Seawolves

Drenched in sweat following a team workout inside the Hale Center, senior defender Andrew Parrilla reported to the Rutgers men’s lacrosse team’s coaching lounge to look over film from its last game. Aside from the lack of communication and missed defensive rotations brought to Parrilla’s attention by assistant coach Craig McDonald during the session, one glaring statistic stood out among the rest.

Junior faceoff specialist Joe Nardella suffered a head injury late into the first half against Virginia. Nardella has a 85.2 faceoff win percentage.
NEWS

Knights await status on star midfielder’s head injury

Following the Rutgers men’s lacrosse team’s 19-12 defeat Saturday to now-No. 5 Virginia, one thing was clear: the Scarlet Knights (2-1) are a different team without junior Preseason All-Big East faceoff specialist, Joe Nardella, on the field. Nardella was 10-of-13 in face-offs in the first half and the Knights tied the Cavaliers with 17 ground balls.

Sophomore Morgan Pfaff earned silver in two events and broke senior Brittany Guinee’s school record in the 200 butterfly.
NEWS

Rutgers breaks records, falls short of national prominence

When the season started for the Rutgers swimming and diving team, head coach Phil Spiniello’s goal was to become a nationally ranked program.While the Scarlet Knights ultimately fell short of that goal this season, they achieved just about everything else. The Knights broke seven school records at last week’s AAC Conference Championships. Six of them came from sophomores Joanna Wu and Morgan Pfaff.

NEWS

Rutgers breaks seven records at AACs

Behind seven school record-breaking performances, the Rutgers swimming and diving team claimed third place at the AAC Championships this past Wednesday-Saturday in Louisville, Ky. The Scarlet Knights finished with 572 points, placing behind No. 13 Louisville (977) and Southern Methodist (624.4), but ahead of Connecticut (459.5), Cincinnati (431) and Houston (337).

More Articles