By Shawn Smith

Recent Articles:

Sybil James, an ombusperson of students, works at the Office of the Ombudsperson for Students, located in Van Nest Hall on the College Avenue campus, helps students resolve problems by mediating conflicts and reaching out to administration officials.
NEWS

Ombudsperson Office addresses student issues

Whenever a student has an issue at the University, and the normal channels they go through do not result in a resolution, there is another service available. The Ombudsperson Office, located in Van Nest Hall on the College Ave campus, serves as a neutral party that can listen and try to mediate a resolution.

NEWS

Dennis Rodman must not ignore political tensions

Despite opposition from the United States government, former NBA superstar Dennis Rodman went to North Korea last month for a birthday celebration for dictator Kim Jong-un. After returning to the U.S. this past weekend, Rodman checked into a rehab facility. Seen as a hero by some and a villain by others, Rodman faces backlash after returning to the country without making an attempt to free an American being held captive, Kenneth Bae, who has been imprisoned since 2012.

The University moved the grease trucks from Lot 8 in August to make room for new construction on the College Avenue Campus.
NEWS

Relocation from Lot 8 causes losses for grease trucks

After moving from their well-known location on Lot 8 in August, the grease truck owners said in November they have all seen a loss in sales, with one truck experiencing a 70 percent decrease in sales, Sam Habib, owner of Just Delicious said. For other trucks, like R U Hungry?, owner Ayman Elnaggar said he began a delivery service in November so students on all campuses could have a signature fat sandwich without having to track him down at his new location on Douglass campus.

NEWS

Utilities operator accused of falsifying water quality reports

The New Brunswick Water Utility came under fire in November when it was discovered that licensed operator, Edward O’Rourke, had submitted false reports for various water quality tests, submitted incorrectly calculated test results and failed to notify the public when standards were not met between 2010 and 2013.

Rutgers Dining Services began using cage-free eggs this year after students in Rutgers United for the Welfare of Animals got backing from the student body.
NEWS

Dining halls use cage-free eggs

This semester, Rutgers switched to cage-free eggs in all of the dining halls after students worked more than two years for the change. While the change costs students more in their overall meal plan, the change was not very significant at the per-student cost. Joseph Charette, director of Dining Services, said students in Rutgers United For the Welfare of Animals came to him more than two years ago with the idea to switch to cage-free eggs.

The Gardner A. Sage library on the College Avenue campus is one of several quiet study locations for stressed students during finals.
NEWS

Targum tips: silent study locations around campus

As finals approach next week, students will inevitably begin to look for quiet locations to study. Alexander Library on the College Avenue campus is always a favorite, as are the lounges in the residence halls. But some have the option of using less traditional locations. Shane Patel, a School of Engineering junior, said he helped design an application that will show students different study locations.

A group of Super Smash Bros. competitors play in the North Tower on Livingston campus. Neil Ciupita, center, a School of Arts and Sciences senior, is challenging all takers.
NEWS

F A L C O N M A S T E R challenges all in Super Smash Bros.

In his first Super Smash Bros. tournament at his high school, Neil Ciurpita, a School of Arts and Sciences senior, said he ranked as one of the top three players entering. A girl in the school brought a wildcard into the tournament — her cousin from out of state. The tournament was a best-of-one series, and Ciurpita said he felt unprepared for his match.

NEWS

Scarlet Knight in Douglass Campus Center missing signature cape

Visitors to the Douglass Campus Center may notice something amiss on the second floor. The Scarlet Knight that sits outside the Leadership office has become just another ordinary knight. Its scarlet cape is missing. Matthew Ferguson, associate director of leadership and training, said the cape was stolen sometime Monday evening, and he is hoping to have it returned to its rightful spot soon.

Alvin Zhang, left, a School of Arts and Sciences junior, and Sarah Mae Rogado, an Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy second-year student, pose yesterday at the Busch Campus Center for the Dress to Impress Charity Fashion Show.
NEWS

Fashion show benefits low-income workers

Proceeds from the event benefitted Dress for Success and CareerGear, organizations dedicated to providing business professional clothing to low-income men and women, said Sowmya Banda, president of Lambda Kappa Sigma. “We want to help people in professional aspect, and everyone can benefit from something like this. It’s one of our favorite events,” said Banda, an Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy fourth-year student.

Ruby Dubose, who works at the welcome desk at Brower Commons, says students are already appreciative when they swipe to go into the dining hall. Rutgers United Students Against Sweatshops are  hosting Worker Appreciation Week this week.
NEWS

Students show appreciation for Rutgers workers

Students are usually polite when boarding or exiting a bus, swiping into a dining hall or getting an event prepared at the local student center. Rutgers United Students Against Sweatshops are hoping to extend and emphasize this courtesy during the week of Nov. 25 for “Worker Appreciation Week.” The event runs from today until Wednesday, said Jose Sanchez, a member of RUSAS.

Serena Auñón, second row, second from the left, was part of NASA’s 20th astronaut class in 2009. Nicknamed the “Chumps,” the group completed training at NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston.
NEWS

NASA astronaut discusses future of space travel

Living in a tent for six weeks in the Arctic, NASA astronaut Serena Auñón said it very closely resembles living in space. Each environment is desolate and contains dangers capable of killing a person in a moment. Living in the Artic, though, revealed certain significances of life for Auñón. “Coming in after working in negative 30 degree weather and seeing two text messages on my [satellite] phone, really brightens your entire day,” she said.

Now-suspended New Brunswick Water Utility licensed operator Edward O’Rourke has allegedly filed false reports for water quality tests since 2010.
NEWS

Water utility operator files false test results

Edward O’Rourke, the now-suspended licensed operator for the New Brunswick Water Utility, allegedly filed false reports for various water quality tests, submitted incorrectly calculated test results and failed to notify the public when standards were not met, according to a statement from the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection.

The grease trucks, which were forced to move from Lot 8 on Aug. 15, have seen a decline in business as they are now scattered across the New Brunswick campus.
NEWS

Grease trucks see business losses after move

The grease trucks have started working on new ways to bring in revenue after they were forced to move from Lot 8 Aug. 15. The R U Hungry? Truck, for example, is going to begin a delivery service, as well as offering catering. Beginning this week, Ayman Elnaggar, owner of the truck, said they will start delivering fat sandwiches to all campuses as a way to try and recover lost revenue after moving off Lot 8 more than two months ago. Rutgers moved them off the to build a residence hall.

Embrace Kids Foundation at 121 Somerset St., New Brunswick is a key charity that receives donations from various Rutgers organizations such as the Rutgers University Dance Marathon. The charity helps families in need, which includes helping with bills or gas.
NEWS

Embrace Kids Foundation explains donation process

Rutgers University Dance Marathon raised more than $500,000 last year for Embrace Kids Foundation, an organization that provides free services for children who have been diagnosed with cancer, sickle cell disease or some other blood disorder. Matthew Mednick, director of finance for RUDM, said when funds come into RUDM, they are not collected and given all at once, but rather they are distributed to the foundation as soon as they are donated.

NEWS

U. breaks record with Fulbrights

Rutgers students and alumni received 26 Fulbright Grants this year, a record number for the University. The grants offer U.S. students, foreign students and alumni opportunities to pursue graduate study, advanced research, university teaching and primary and secondary school teaching in more than 140 countries worldwide.

The Rutgers University Programming Association hosted the annual “Homecoming Comedy Show Saturday,” featuring comedians John Oliver and Wyatt Cenac.
NEWS

Oliver, Cenac talk life before fame

John Oliver discovered what best represents the younger generations’ legacy: T-shirt cannons. He said nothing excites them more than a free T-shirt. “People have died falling out of arenas, reaching for T-shirts fired their way. And yet, we still have T-shirt cannons,” he said. “I don’t recall any discussion of T-shirt cannons getting banned. It’s as if collectively we decided, ‘You know what? It’s not that bad a way to die.’”

Out of seven residence halls visited by members of The Daily Targum staff, only Rockoff Hall in downtown New Brunswick denied access to outside visitors.
NEWS

Breaches in Rutgers residence hall security raises eyebrows

Every now and then, various menus from local eateries appear underneath doors in residence halls. But what is stopping these people from knocking on the door to tell occupants about their “specials,” or even going into unlocked rooms? How do they get in the building in the first place? The Daily Targum visited various residence halls Saturday night to see how accessible they actually are, and the results are unsettling.

Everglades National Park in Miami, Fla., is one of many national parks reopening after the US government shutdown ended last week. Researchers at Rutgers are still waiting on updates for research grants from federal agencies.
NEWS

US shutdown still impacting Rutgers researchers

The U.S. government is officially back open for business. But while the national parks, museums and Panda Cam are getting back to business, some people and organizations are still feeling its effects. According to an article by CNN, President Barack Obama signed a bill early Thursday morning that ended the 16-day shutdown.

The eggs are finally consumed by the students. They are fried, hard boiled or used for omelets in the morning.
NEWS

Egg-sclusive

How free are Rutgers' cage-free eggs? It took two years, but Rutgers students have gotten the University to switch to cage-free eggs. Beginning this semester, all students with a meal plan will notice a small increase to the cost, as the eggs are more costly then years past.

More Articles

Recent Media:

NEWS

.

Although the exterior remains the same, the inside of Tillett Hall underwent renovation, which brought an upgraded mail room along with a new computer lab.
NEWS

.

More Media