By Simon Galperin

Recent Articles:

NEWS

Targum’s report about Skelly Field deceiving and ambiguous

The Daily Targum’s reporting on the expansion of Lot 97 into a part of Skelly Field has been misleading and inflammatory. Despite what the paper’s headlines and pictures of an expansive Skelly Field may suggest, the N.J. Department of Environmental protection has approved just eight percent of the field for development.

Spook Handy, a University alumnus, is spending this week as an artist-in-residence at the University. He has been speaking to students about folk music’s place in American society, and will be performing at the N.J. Folk Festival Saturday.
NEWS

Artist stays at University for N.J. Folk Festival

University alumnus and folk musician Spook Handy spent the past week as an artist-in-residence, running workshops and speaking to students about folk music’s place in American society. New Jersey Folk Festival director and University Professor Angus Gillespie invited Handy to the University after working with him.

“I was fascinated by the fact that there could be more fundamental order in nature that’s waiting to be discovered.” David Kolchmeyer: Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship Recipient
NEWS

Students receive prestigious research science scholarships

This year’s winners of the Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship include a student researching high-energy collisions at the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland and a student working to improve liver transplantation. University students David Kolchmeyer and Josh Yarmush have been recognized as two of this year’s Goldwater scholars for their individual successes in academia and scientific research.

The Center for Latino Arts and Culture hosted a fundraiser and panel discussion yesterday for Haitian artists and those who were impacted by the 2010 earthquake.
NEWS

Exhibit addresses 2010 Haiti earthquake

Scherezade Garcia decided her print of the Statue of Liberty for the ArtQuake project would have a new feature — a brown hue. The University’s Center for Latino Arts and Culture hosted a panel discussion Thursday night on  Caribbean art and cultural exchange. “According to me, the Statue of Liberty should be [of mixed race],” Garcia said. Garcia said when children ask how to make the color brown when they paint, teachers tell them to mix all the colors on their palette together, like a “mestizo,” or mixed-race person.

NEWS

Student recounts suicidal thoughts after academic dismissal

Sandwiched between the Livingston Campus Day Care Center and a parking lot spotted with solar panels, the only way to identify the Asian American Cultural Center is by the brown and red University sign stuck on the wall, to the left of the door. Inside, at one of several round tables in a large welcoming space sits Anna Phung, the special projects intern for the center. She had staked a claim to the table as a student is expected to —laptop propped open with papers and books lining the boundaries of her generous study space.

The Wexner Foundation Mentoring Program has selected Rabbi Esther Reed from Rutgers Hillel to mentor a graduate fellow from the foundation.
NEWS

Foundation selects U.’s Hillel rabbi as leadership mentor

After reviewing more than a hundred applicants, The Wexner Foundation Mentoring Program selected Rutgers Hillel’s Rabbi Esther Reed to mentor a Foundation Graduate Fellow for the upcoming year. The Wexner Foundation’s goal is to encourage Jewish leadership in Jewish communities through intensive training and scholarship, said Cindy Chazan, vice president of the foundation. “We selected 20 people who we thought would do a tremendous job and Rabbi Reed is one of them,” Chazan said.

Judith Enck, an administrator for the Environmental Protection Agency, discusses the future of her agency and the changing climate Tuesday at the Cook Campus Center.
NEWS

EPA administrator urges student involvement in climate change debate

Even though environmental policy is at the forefront of President Barack Obama’s agenda during his second term, the future of the Environmental Protection Agency depends on confronting climate change for direct results. Judith Enck, the EPA’s regional administrator for New York, New Jersey, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands, relayed this message yesterday in the Cook Campus Center during her lecture on the past, present and future of environmental protection.

The EPA unveiled its “Documerica: Then and Now” exhibit, composed of 15,000 images spanning 40 years of the environment.
NEWS

Photo exhibit revisits old sites

The Environmental Protection Agency’s photo exhibit, “Documerica: Then and Now,” was unveiled yesterday at the University, its 40th location for its 40th anniversary. The exhibition, which has been touring the country, commemorates the EPA by looking at the past and the present of America’s environment, said Jennifer May, special projects coordinator for the EPA’s Public Affairs division. May said it is a re-visitation of photographs taken of the environment from the original “Documerica” project in 1971.

NEWS

U. evaluates WebReg’s cycle increases, network issues

Students have had their eyes trained on their computer screens longer than usual during the first few registration days for next semester — yet another impact felt on campus after Hurricane Sandy. The storm pushed the registration period back one week because of missed class time, which required the registrar to make changes to the schedule and resulted in increased waiting times, said Ken Iuso, University registrar. Iuso said his office decreased the number of registration days so that the period would not continue on past Thanksgiving.

NEWS

Staff Retiree Council in early stages

A year before leaving the University, former President Richard L. McCormick established the University Faculty and Staff Retiree Advisory Council to encourage retirees to continue their relationship with the University community. Now in its second year, the council has several initiatives through the president’s office that will allow University retirees access to campus resources, while also giving them an opportunity to contribute their time and expertise to University organizations and offices.

NEWS

Video contest aims to raise green awareness

University students have until Nov. 15 to enter to win $1,000 through submitting a video with an environmentally aware message to the Viral Green Video competition, a contest only open to college students. “I want to harness [people’s] creativity and give them an outlet to use this to support a green message,” said Mary Reilly, creator of the Viral Green Video competition. Reilly, who is a green consultant at Reilly Green Associates, began to spread her message of environmental awareness by giving free public presentations.

The Scarlet Knight, the University mascot since 1955, entertains the crowd at the RAC on Livingson campus.
NEWS

U. mascot trails behind in competition

The Scarlet Knight, the University’s mascot, has been cheering for the red team for a half-century. Now he finds himself playing against 15 mascots from across the country in the Capital One Mascot Challenge. By receiving the most votes in each matchup in the Mascot Challenge, the Scarlet Knight could win a $20,000 scholarship for the University’s mascot program, according to a statement from Capital One. The Scarlet Knight is ranked 15th of 16 mascots, as of press time.

NEWS

Do not punish for others’ lack of humor

I write to The Daily Targum to point out comments that columnist Aaron Marcus made in an interview to the online publication, The Blaze.On the University’s history with Jewish students: “Rutgers has perpetually done nothing to protect Jewish students.”On bias toward student groups: “If these types of things happened to other students on campus they would be taken care of immediately, but when they happen to Jewish students and particularly pro-Israeli students — they are ignored.”

More Articles