By Steven Miller

Recent Articles:

Junior 174-pounder Greg Zannetti translated a successful senior season in high school to walking on with the Knights.
SPORTS

Zannetti rides steady work ethic to productive year

The Post-it notes stick hardly remains by the time Greg Zannetti is done with an item on his to-improve list. The yellow squares where he writes his areas for improvement often start plastered to his desk, but by the time he leaves his house, they are stuck to the notebook he carries to class. By the time he is in the Rutgers wrestling room, they are firmly committed to memory. “Like right now, that’s all I can think of is my list,” said Zannetti, The Daily Targum’s Most Improved Athlete of the Year.

Former Penn?State 149-pounder Frank?Molinaro becomes an assistant on head coach Scott Goodale’s staff today after capturing an NCAA?title as a senior. Molinaro wrestled at Southern Regional High School (N.J.), where he faced off against Goodale.
NEWS

All-American joins Goodale as assistant coach

Scott Goodale stood in a corner tunnel of the Scottrade Center in St. Louis in March, waiting for Frank Molinaro to come down from his podium. The fifth four-time All-American in Penn State history finished his career with a national title at 149 pounds, and about an hour after accepting his trophy and hugging Goodale, he was already meeting with Rutgers wrestling boosters.

Senior 141-pounder Billy Ashnault will return next season as an assistant coaching following his performance in St. Louis.
NEWS

Goodale vows to return to former coaching philosophy

Scott Goodale realizes he is in store for his longest offseason yet. After a season designed to produce the Rutgers wrestling team’s first All-American since 2002 and a dual-meet schedule with more losses than any in Goodale’s four-year tenure, the head coach has no choice. “I’m going to try to remember very little from this season,” Goodale said. “I’ve never really been in this situation of not winning.”

Senior 141-pounder Billy Ashnault reacts to Cal Poly’s Boris Novachkov.
NEWS

Rutgers leaves tournament short of goal

As Rutgers wrestlers fell in the early rounds last week at the NCAA Championships, head coach Scott Goodale knew one Scarlet Knight could will himself to All-American honors. Senior 141-pounder Billy Ashnault fell one match short of the podium — the only goal for the Knights this season. But after facing seeded wrestlers in four of his five bouts at the Scottrade Center, it was not for a lack of effort.

NEWS

Memory of loss motivates junior, program

Scott Winston is done losing sleep over last year’s NCAA Championships, but that does not make the cinder block wall he sat and stared at any less clear in his memory. The junior 165-pounder already knows if he gets into any tough spots next week at the national tournament in St. Louis, the image will be fresh in his mind.

Freshman forward Kadeem Jack fouled out late in last night’s Big East Tournament game. After returning from foot surgery in late December, Jack played in all but two of the remaining games.
NEWS

Inconsistency plagues Knights

NEW YORK — A 17-2 Rutgers men’s basketball team run was little more than a distant memory by the time Day 1 of the Big East Tournament ended at Madison Square Garden. The Scarlet Knights trailed by 5 when they hit five consecutive 3-pointers in a stretch that ended with a Dane Miller tip-in to cap the scoring stretch. Then 14th-seeded Villanova countered with a 20-4 run of its own to turn a deficit as large as 8 into a lead by the same score. The Wildcats never looked back, eliminating Rutgers from the tournament and ending its season with a 70-49 loss.

Senior 141-pounder Billy Ashnault fights for position en route to a 3-2 decision against Penn?All-American Zack Kemmerer.
NEWS

Winston fails to solve Lehigh’s Hatchett in EIWA title defense

As the boos in Jadwin Gymnasium rained down on Scott Winston yesterday, Rutgers head wrestling coach Scott Goodale grabbed the 165-pounder he coached for the past eight years by the head. “Two minutes,” Goodale told Winston, entering the third period of the EIWA title bout against Lehigh’s Brandon Hatchett. “It’s about you right now. Get a takedown and win the match.”

Head coach Scott Goodale the Knights’ goal this weekend is to finish in the top three at the EIWA?Tournament at Princeton.
NEWS

Moment of truth

The individual portion of the season that the Rutgers wrestling team stressed all year long begins Saturday, and it finally has a team goal to go with it. After toiling through four months of a dual-meet season that was little more than a formality, the postseason starts with the EIWA Tournament at Princeton, where 10 conference titles and 46 NCAA Championship bids will be awarded.

Junior 165-pounder Scott Winston sizes up a Harvard opponent Jan. 6.
NEWS

Refreshed Winston prepares for shot at EIWA title

Scott Winston was 12 years old when he first started thinking about the postseason. The sixth grader from Jackson, N.J., sat down and wrote out a list of goals. First, high school, where he went 137-0 with three state titles in his career. Then, college, where he has an EIWA title, but still plenty more he wants to accomplish. “I definitely feel a little bit of heat,” the junior 165-pounder said.

Dharun Ravi and his lawyer Steven Altman walk into the Middlesex County Courtroom before yesterday’s trial.
NEWS

Wei gives account of webcam viewings during Ravi’s trial

The closest thing to emotion any member of the Ravi family showed yesterday came in the worried glances, exchanged shortly after the lunch hour yesterday at Middlesex County Courthouse. Dharun Ravi sat composed at the defense table in his black suit with a blue shirt and pink tie, charged with invasion of privacy, bias intimidation, witness tampering and hindering arrest in connection to the September 2010 death of Tyler Clementi.

Junior wing Dane Miller dribbles around Seton?Hall’s Fuquan Edwin on Saturday in the Knights’ overtime victory at the Prudential?Center. Miller’s 21 points were his most since 2010.
NEWS

Miller embraces scoring role at SHU

The Rutgers men’s basketball team established its long-range game from the outset Saturday against Seton Hall, as 9 of the Scarlet Knights’ first 11 points at the Prudential Center came from 3-pointers. Four of the five starters connected in the first 10 minutes. Only junior wing Dane Miller did not have a 3-pointer to his name, but he entered the game 8-for-33 from long range. Then he banked in Rutgers’ first points of the second half.

Freshman point guard Jerome Seagears drives to the basket as Marquette’s Jae?Crowder defends last night at the Bradley Center, where the Knights lost their eighth game in nine tries.?Crowder led all scorers with 27 points after scoring 29 at Connecticut.
NEWS

Crowder, Johnson-Odom combine to drop Rutgers

One of the biggest cheers last night at the Bradley Center came with fewer than nine minutes remaining, when Jae Crowder made his way to the Marquette bench. It was the only break the Rutgers men’s basketball team had from the senior forward all night in an 82-65 loss to the 10th-ranked team in the nation. Crowder turned a strong first half into a dominant second, dismissing any notion of a Scarlet Knights rally on the road.

Sophomore forward Gilvydas Biruta attempts a lay-in?yesterday as
No. 2 Syracuse’s C.J. Fair (5)?and Fab Melo defend. Biruta tied for
a game high with 21 points in the Knights’ losing effort.
NEWS

Biruta enjoys return to productivity

Rutgers head men’s basketball coach Mike Rice expected this type of performance from Gilvydas Biruta all season long, but instead found the sophomore forward on his bench with foul trouble more often than he was involved in the paint. The Biruta that Rice expected appeared at the Louis Brown Athletic Center yesterday, taking advantage of the holes in the heart of Syracuse’s 2-3 zone en route to a game-high 21 points.

Junior 133-pounder Joey Langel, right, fills in for senior
Michael DeMarco last night in the Knights’ dual-meet finale against
Drexel. Langel, who will not wrestle in the postseason, scored the
first Rutgers points at the College Avenue Gym.
NEWS

Langel sparks Rutgers’ dual-meet win

Joey Langel consistently sparked the Rutgers wrestling team’s lineup for the past two seasons, when he made the 125-pound spot in the lineup his own. He wrestled up a weight class again Thursday night against Drexel at the College Avenue Gym, but the result was no different as he picked up the first points for the Scarlet Knights en route to a 24-9 dual-meet victory to end the season.

Senior 141-pounder, Billy Ashnault, locks eyes with an opponent
Saturday at the National Duals. He has one more home match.
NEWS

Rutgers?preps for postseason play on Senior Night

Rutgers head wrestling coach Scott Goodale long said senior 133-pounder Michael DeMarco is the type of wrestler that embodies his program. The Lyndhurst, N.J., native went winless in the state tournament as a high school senior, walked on at Rutgers, then fought his way into the lineup for four years. But he will be out of the lineup for Senior Night tonight against Drexel at the College Avenue Gym as he continues to recover from a torn lateral collateral ligament.

Rutgers head football coach Kyle Flood speaks at his
introductory press conference Jan. 31, when he said he planned to
keep the Knights coaching staff intact. Several assistants left for
various destinations, but Flood announced his hirings Monday.
NEWS

Early returns

Kyle Flood promised at his introductory press conference that the Rutgers football team’s offensive, defensive and special teams philosophy would remain the same. Then he lost nearly every member of his coaching staff to the NFL. The first-year head coach introduced his new staff yesterday, bringing in Boston College interim offensive coordinator Dave Brock to run the Scarlet Knights offense.

Redshirt freshman forward Kadeem Jack shoots over Seton Hall’s
Herb Pope.
NEWS

Jack displays defensive flair for Rice, RU

Kadeem Jack’s coaches and teammates see it every day in practice, and the redshirt freshman forward put it on display Wednesday against Seton Hall for the first time. After more than a year with the Rutgers men’s basketball team, almost three months of rehab and 12 games, Jack finally was comfortable enough to play 15 minutes and make an impact in a 59-54 loss to the Pirates.

Senior 141-pounder Billy Ashnault sizes up Cal Poly’s No.
2?Boris Novachkov on?Saturday at the National Duals. Novachkov, the
nation’s runner-up last season, earned a 1-0 overtime win.
NEWS

Losses mount with weekend falls at RAC

Rutgers head wrestling coach Scott Goodale understands this season is about the end of the year, not Saturday’s National Duals regional bracket. That did little to make it any easier. Cal Poly forfeited the matchups he wanted to test his All-American candidates, and his 125-pounder forfeited a match of his own. The Scarlet Knights fell, 24-22, to Cal Poly, receiving 18 of those points after Cal Poly wrestlers opted not to take the mat at 174, 184 and 197 pounds.

Sophomore 125-pounder Vincent Dellefave jockeys for position
Jan. 22, when he took on Aaron Kalil of Navy. He meets No. 4 Nic
Bedelyon from Kent State on Saturday.
NEWS

Knights enjoy host luxuries in down year

When a national dual-meet tournament was little more than an idea a year ago, Rutgers head wrestling coach Scott Goodale had to like his chances. The Scarlet Knights were on their way to a 21-2 dual-meet season — posting 20 wins for the second time in three years and second time in program history. It allowed Rutgers to host a regional bracket of the National Duals on Saturday at the Louis Brown Athletic Center, even though the Knights are struggling in duals.

Seton Hall senior point guard Jordan?Theodore drives against
Knights freshman Eli Carter last night in Seton Hall’s 59-54 win at
the Louis Brown Athletic Center. Theodore, who played against two
former high school teammates, scored a game-high 24 points.
NEWS

Knights suffer at hands of playmaker

Through each of his two seasons in Piscataway, Rutgers head men’s basketball coach Mike Rice talked about the Big East guard that takes over down the stretch — the veteran who takes the ball and responds when his team needs it. He saw plenty through his team’s losses to start his tenure and he saw another last night, when Seton Hall senior Jordan Theodore took over for the Pirates.

More Articles